The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 10/24/2017 at 10:59 AM, Dixon Ward said:

I think folks need to settle down a bit on Olli.  He is getting settled.  He may not be a #1 defenseman, but he still has a great chance.  He is not 20 until May or something.  Let him have a year playing with men.  If he turns out to be our awesome #2 for the next 12 years, then it is a great pick.  Remember, in his draft year he won everything, he was unstoppable.  He was considered by most the best defenseman available.  Sergachev may be better in the short term, but we'll see in the long term.

I still like the pick.  

This exactly. Sergachev was considered one of the most NHL ready D in the draft. That has nothing to do with long term capability, it just means that he matured physically faster than some of the other guys.

I really believe that OJ is going to prove to be the best D in the draft. People need to settle down and realize that it may be 2 years before he's physically ready for the NHL though.

Let's not kill him by putting him it he NHL before he's really, physically ready, just to make a few impatient fans happy!

Edited by VegasCanuck

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This exactly. Sergachev was considered one of the most NHL ready D in the draft. That has nothing to do with long term capability, it just means that he matured physically faster than some of the other guys.

I really believe that OJ is going to prove to be the best D in the draft. People need to settle down and realize that it may be 2 years before he's physically ready for the NHL though.

Let's not kill him by putting him it he NHL before he's really, physically ready, just to make a few impatient fans happy!

And even if OJ doesn't prove to be 'numero uno' and becomes a a solid top 4 D as projected, I don't know how anyone can take issue with it.

I would have loved to snag both of them at the draft but it was not meant to be. You can't draft all the players.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

I remember a defenceman the Canucks drafted in the 1st round in '94, everyone was eager and had little patience for him to come over. He played the following 4 years in the SHL developing and when he finally came over in '98 he turned out to be a very special player, some here may remember Mattias Ohlund.  I think OJ will be a similar player to MO and all that is required is a little time and patience.

Good player-comparison.

Unfortunately for Matty O..he'd arrive to a trending tire-fire.As they start turning the corner, he gets a nasty eye injury.

OJ conversely should arrive to a team nicely trending upwards, with overall depth in his age-group.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Elias lindholm level player. 

Very important to be patient.

10 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Hampus 

Hampus Lindholm is highly regarded among the media. Almost a left-handed Chris Tanev who can put up 30 points per season. In an article I read a while back his game is elite shot suppression while driving the play and having very good possession numbers.

I would be very happy if Olli Juolevi turns into a Finnish Hampus Lindholm.  

1 hour ago, Blömqvist said:

Hampus Lindholm is highly regarded among the media. Almost a left-handed Chris Tanev who can put up 30 points per season. In an article I read a while back his game is elite shot suppression while driving the play and having very good possession numbers.

I would be very happy if Olli Juolevi turns into a Finnish Hampus Lindholm.  

I think in his prime, OJ has the capacity to be closer to the 35+ point range but otherwise, yup ;)

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Good player-comparison.

Unfortunately for Matty O..he'd arrive to a trending tire-fire.As they start turning the corner, he gets a nasty eye injury.

OJ conversely should arrive to a team nicely trending upwards, with overall depth in his age-group.

Yea Ohlund did show up at an unfortunate time and that eye injury slowed him down some as you mentioned just as the team was starting to play better.

As to OJ I agree completely, he will be playing with a team in his age and competing for a cup :) .. I'm really looking forward to watching this new Canucks group. 

• Upvote 1