The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Just now, R35Godz1lla said:

I feel like he is barely playing.

I see him on the ice and then it seems like 3 or 4 rotations before he gets back on the ice.

The coach is riding his higher profile guys. Might wanna reconsider that since they've let 4 goals in already.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

A player who has now played in this tournament 3 times, has captained the team before and has won a gold medal but now doesn't evenhave an "A" on his jersey?   It's not the end of the world but it is a little concerning. 

I thought he was okay today but is being passed on the depth charts again this year.  His progression for the most part has remained stagnant 

how do you figure that? if he was stagnant he'd be in the OHL this year. 

Juolevi played a safe game, no mistake, and he was calm. However, he also did not create much on the offensive side of things. Made good plays but did not generate grade A scoring chances.

For someone who was touted as a smooth skater, he almost never skates the puck out. Stick handling doesn't seem like it's his forte. Of course, this was against Canada, one of the toughest and tightest checking team. But if he can't do it against the juniors, basically we shouldn't expect that he will be able to do that in the NHL.

At this point, my guess on his career trajectory is somewhere along pre-back injury Edler to Sami Salo. A very good defender but not the type to generate offence on his own. If he plays with good players, he will score a lot of points (assists). 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, khay said:

Juolevi played a safe game, no mistake, and he was calm. However, he also did not create much on the offensive side of things. Made good plays but did not generate grade A scoring chances.

For someone who was touted as a smooth skater, he almost never skates the puck out. Stick handling doesn't seem like it's his forte. Of course, this was against Canada, one of the toughest and tightest checking team. But if he can't do it against the juniors, basically we shouldn't expect that he will be able to do that in the NHL.

At this point, my guess on his career trajectory is somewhere along pre-back injury Edler to Sami Salo. A very good defender but not the type to generate offence on his own. If he plays with good players, he will score a lot of points (assists). 

IIRC he coughed up the puck right by his net which led to a good scoring opportunity for Canada. 

Was not impressed with his game at all but at the same time I don't think he got that much ice time. (anyone have the stats for TOI?) The fact that this is his 3rd WJC and he goes from Captain last year to not even an A this year is not a good sign. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, khay said:

Pre-Back Edler, and prime Salo are two very good players, very good #2, elite #3 Dman who every team needs, not every D we draft is gonna be a Norris candidate who pots 50+ points, but being able to develop  Juolevi into a solid 3-4 guy who puts up 30 points is very important

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kushman said:

IIRC he coughed up the puck right by his net which led to a good scoring opportunity for Canada. 

Was not impressed with his game at all but at the same time I don't think he got that much ice time. (anyone have the stats for TOI?) The fact that this is his 3rd WJC and he goes from Captain last year to not even an A this year is not a good sign. 

http://2018.worldjunior.hockey/en/games/2017-12-26/CAN-vs-FIN/#statistics-tab

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

My bad, only watched the third and didn't really notice him.

I guess I was watching for him. He's not flashy just solid. Seems to be an odd thing for people to be upset about :P He and Heiskanen were the leading D in time, MH only by 30 seconds or so. 3 shots, no even strength ga. Seemed like a solid game vs Canada to me. 

correction: Jokiharu was up there too in minutes. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, khay said:

It’s exactly the potential I saw in him predraft. I’m just not huge on spending high draft picks on defencemen unless they have #1 offensive upside. Obviously Juolevi has an easier attainable floor of what we’re projecting then a 2nd or 3rd rounder guy does. However I’d rather take the shot on those type of dmen outside of the 1rst round. I really wanted Tkachuk in the first and Clague in the 2nd. It’s not what happened so no more crying over spilt milk and I just keep hoping Juolevi keeps progressing into more then I think he can.

• Upvote 1