The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 minutes ago, winthecup said:

yup and people always bring up Tkachuk in hindsight but at this point there are 3 or 4 players drafted after Tkachuk I would rather have on my team (Keller, Sergachev, McAvoy and possibly Chychrun) over Tkachuk. 

I hear ya.  TBH, I did really want Tkachuk at the time. I thought he was exactly what we needed as far as grit and toughness that can also put up points.  But after hearing about his character issues, and seeing his on ice antics and how he handles himself, I am really glad we didn’t pick him. I like how JB really seems to go after character players like Boeser and most recently Gadjovich (sp.?)  I think that’ll go a long way towards building a winning environment!

There was nothing wrong with the Juolevi pick. It's easy to compare who was taken afterwards and then criticize the pick. Benning took him for a reason, and I believe that's his hockey smarts and poise that put him ahead of the others. Juolevi's "job" isn't to score goals, it's to prevent goals and to make exceptional outlet passes to the forwards heading up ice. This he does very well, calmly. 

Pettersson's similar. He's tearing up the SEL (against men) right now, so why isn't he scoring 5 goals a game against these kids? I'm not worried about Elias, or Olli at all. And I don't really care what Sergachev is doing in TB or what Tkachuk is doing in CGY. It doesn't matter. Different teams, different team mates.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Another really strong game.   Nothing panicked.  Nothing done without keeping his man to the right side of the puck/play.   Some nice shots that seem to most always get through.    

I get a massive kick about those not seeing how good this kid is.   Will be fun to see in a few years how many jump on his bandwagon and "knew all along" how great he would be.   :lol:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There was nothing wrong with the Juolevi pick. It's easy to compare who was taken afterwards and then criticize the pick. Benning took him for a reason, and I believe that's his hockey smarts and poise that put him ahead of the others. Juolevi's "job" isn't to score goals, it's to prevent goals and to make exceptional outlet passes to the forwards heading up ice. This he does very well, calmly. 

Pettersson's similar. He's tearing up the SEL (against men) right now, so why isn't he scoring 5 goals a game against these kids? I'm not worried about Elias, or Olli at all. And I don't really care what Sergachev is doing in TB or what Tkachuk is doing in CGY. It doesn't matter. Different teams, different team mates.

A mature and reasoned perspective on prospects has no place here.

Watched the shift-by-shift of his game against Canada, impressed at how active his stick is in disrupting lanes and chances, and also how easily he can angle and body guys off when needed in the corners.  Didn't really do anything too fancy but that's what you want from an all-round guy, making the safe and effective play and defending strongly when needed.

• Upvote 1

Let’s be totally honest here OJ was not a reach at 5, it’s just that tkachuk is ahead development wise and represents what we lack- a gritty top 6 guy who can score and hit

yes he’d be penalized more if he were a Canuck but I feel OJ doesn’t offer that much more than Tanev, Hutton, brisebois and now Stetcher, mdz etc

OJ highlights show a D man who plays error free hockey

gets out of D zone with ease

makes break outs look easy

looks like Tanev/hamhuis  out there

was on first PP unit st times

number 28, his d partner basically gets the puck and gives it to OJ all the time 

sonewhat limited offense so far but from my eyes that’s bc some of his teammates squandered good passes

his shots were blocked a lot 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kirk mcleans baby said:

Again, I know not every gm makes the perfect pick, but when looking at some of the names selected after him you have to wonder what JB was thinking!?  

Hindsight 20/20. Boston had "three" picks and they could have picked both Barzal and Boeser and they didn't. Again hindsight 20/20.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Let’s be totally honest here OJ was not a reach at 5, it’s just that tkachuk is ahead development wise and represents what we lack- a gritty top 6 guy who can score and hit

yes he’d be penalized more if he were a Canuck but I feel Hutton, OJ doesn’t offer that much more than Tanev,brisebois and now Stetcher, mdz etc

Except that Olli has way better hockey sense and has a higher offensive potential.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Chandymen said:

So some concerning thoughts here. Juolevi is a third year returnee and is on the second pairing for even strength and on the power play. He also goes from being the captain last year to being stripped of it and doesn't even get an A. Ray Ferraro notes Juolevi is notorious for looking disinterested on the ice. From what I've seen so far, he's not getting ice in key situations and does in fact look disinterested at times. I haven't seen much of the kid but should we be concerned about this kid thus far? It seems to be like he has a lot of skill but has a bit of an attitude/entitlement issue.

did you miss the game were he lead his team in minutes? that was against our very own team Canada.

• Cheers 1