The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

Either team Finland in the WHC or Utica. Personally i hope WHC because hed be against teal NHL talent there

Actually, I think the San Jose Sharks are hoping to be still in the playoffs :ph34r:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He got the flu at the WJC like about 1/3 of all the players there.   You are not only a troll, you are a poor one.   Yes, his play wasn’t great because he had the flu.   He lost a bunch of weight and was dehydrated.  It happens.  Happened to EP too.

pS - you clearly didn’t even watch the game as you describe things that not only didn’t happen, he wasn’t even on the ice.   Not sure what your end game is but picking on teens playing pro hockey is pretty twisted.

You're a legitimate nutjob that lives in his own world lmao

You're a good little troll, stalking and quoting all my posts trying to get a reaction out of me lol. On to my ignore list you go.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah he'd arguably be one of the top 5 players in Utica let alone on D. Short of him being injured/needing a rest, pretty sure he'd be playing at least a 2nd pair role.

Hard pressed to say there is a better Dman in Utica right now to be honest.  Holm was likely their top guy and maybe Sautner now but he is a level above both in every area but professional experience.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Why do people rate Juolevi over Bouchard if they were both draft eligible this year? Bouchard's offensive numbers in the OHL shred Juolevi's. And Juolevi played on a stacked London squad. I guess you could chop that up to a lack of options so Bouchard had to be the point producer. Bouchard also plays a ton of minutes for them. So I assume he's leaned on heavily for his defense as well. Juolevi's 2 years in Junior resulted in fewer points than Bouchard produced in this year alone. Bouchard's +/- shreds Juolevi's as well. Hard to find deeper stats on Junior players, forgive me for reaching here with the +/-. Lol. I am curious as to why people would rate a 18 year old Juolevi over a 18 year old Bouchard. 

Easy. Because at the draft Juolevi was actually 17 and a full year younger than Bouchard. Of course with hindsight and the fact we knew that Juolevi produced at the same pace as his draft year in D+1 we can maybe put Bouchard in front of Juolevi. However I think most of us were expecting him to top his draft numbers by a sizeable margin considering his age.

34 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Hard pressed to say there is a better Dman in Utica right now to be honest.  Holm was likely their top guy and maybe Sautner now but he is a level above both in every area but professional experience.

But after seeing him play responably snd safely u til he learns his partners... i could just imagine how cdc would blow after game one if he doesnt pot a goal and grab a few helpers 

2 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I could see him jumping right into the #1 PP unit and regular minutes at 5 on 5.

Yeah I think 2nd pairing with PP duties to start would be fair. Bump Breezer down or swap weircoch to the right.  Lots of options. 

How will the D look without Juolevi?

Wericoch Chatfield

whom   whom

whom   whom

breezer and Sautner? saunter got a callup.  So many left side D.  Is weircoch a lock on unit 1? or has he moved around some?

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah I think 2nd pairing with PP duties to start would be fair. Bump Breezer down or swap weircoch to the right.  Lots of options. 

How will the D look without Juolevi?

Wericoch Chatfield

whom   whom

whom   whom

breezer and Sautner? saunter got a callup.  So many left side D.  Is weircoch a lock on unit 1? or has he moved around some?

Never mind the order because Cull plays all 6 equally at even strength but here are the most frequent pairings.

Wierchoich - Chatfield

Brisebois - Sifers

Sautner - Blujus

My guess is Juolevi would take Sifers spot in the lineup and be paired with Brisebois who would move to the right side where he has played a lot this year anyway.  They would miss Sifers physical play but his foot speed is a liability against the Marlies speed.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Cull said he would play a big role for Utica if he came over. They feel his skillset would be very useful.

Oh i didnt realize that! Okay maybe im on the side of utica now. I geard on the radio the other day that Cull is going to make sure kids earn their spots

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

But after seeing him play responably snd safely u til he learns his partners... i could just imagine how cdc would blow after game one if he doesnt pot a goal and grab a few helpers 

Those on CDC who criticize a 19 year old learning the ropes of the professional game are noise he won't here as it is meaningless noise.   Given his talent level and understanding of the game, and the fact he is a very big guy, he will be just fine but like all rookie dmen will make his share of mistakes and then some.   NHL Dmen take a long time to mature - four or five years of pro hockey is a typical minimum for most but there can be exceptions.    This kid's hockey acumen may speed that typical minimum up quite a bit as it has for others who sometimes even jump right from CHL to NHL.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Derp... said:

I think there is a distinct possibility that Juolevi is only scratching the surface of his ability.

He seems able to produce at a moderate to highend rate while still having his coaches and most of CDC say he looks disinterested at times and isn't in great shape. 

If he is able to really focus and train hard I think we could see his game jump up to an Ekman Larsson like level.

I'm actually really excited to see him try and reach his ceiling under Green. He's going to get pushed hard, and will likely need some adjustment time similar to Hutton this year.

For Juolevi, in the end we will either get a true high skill pro D man who is a #2, or a guy who is an above average puck mover, but lacks consistency as a 4.

He has that extra gear for big stages, and if he can bring that out consistently we could see some serious progress.

Where I can agree with you for sure is how I've seen him time and time again elevate for the big game. That's special. Not every player has that. 

16 hours ago, Derp... said:

I think there is a distinct possibility that Juolevi is only scratching the surface of his ability.

He seems able to produce at a moderate to highend rate while still having his coaches and most of CDC say he looks disinterested at times and isn't in great shape. 

If he is able to really focus and train hard I think we could see his game jump up to an Ekman Larsson like level.

I'm actually really excited to see him try and reach his ceiling under Green. He's going to get pushed hard, and will likely need some adjustment time similar to Hutton this year.

For Juolevi, in the end we will either get a true high skill pro D man who is a #2, or a guy who is an above average puck mover, but lacks consistency as a 4.

He has that extra gear for big stages, and if he can bring that out consistently we could see some serious progress.

I could be wrong but I believe Olli referenced OEL as a role model and similar player to who he wants to be.  This is just from memory but I believe it was the case.  Does anyone else remember if this is the case? Would of been from an early Olli interview.

On 2018-04-20 at 1:53 PM, N7Nucks said:

Why do people rate Juolevi over Bouchard if they were both draft eligible this year? Bouchard's offensive numbers in the OHL shred Juolevi's. And Juolevi played on a stacked London squad. I guess you could chop that up to a lack of options so Bouchard had to be the point producer. Bouchard also plays a ton of minutes for them. So I assume he's leaned on heavily for his defense as well. Juolevi's 2 years in Junior resulted in fewer points than Bouchard produced in this year alone. Bouchard's +/- shreds Juolevi's as well. Hard to find deeper stats on Junior players, forgive me for reaching here with the +/-. Lol. I am curious as to why people would rate a 18 year old Juolevi over a 18 year old Bouchard. 

I agree!  Bouchard has done more with far less.   

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wildcam said:

If we are picking #5 my pick is Bouchard on a average team he leads team in point and Top D man in league with points as 18 yr old amazing...

Sure hope he is around at #5 or 6 spot...

First problem with that is we can't pick fifth without a trade.