The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That's the same thing EP's coach said about him...I can pretty much guarantee that if they gave Oli the same 2 year window to show he belongs on the team as they did Pouliot...the results would be 180 degrees away...Oli would prove he belongs within months and be a star in year 2.

I think he will surprise some people this year.

Just watch...!

Coach Agnew works directly with Juolevi.  He saw him daily in the AHL.  He was an assistant coach with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wouldn't doubt if JB is actively shopping Hutton, or at least he should be.  I don't know what Hutton's value is (3rd round pick maybe?) but we need to have space for OJ.  OJ and Hughes are two young D that will change the dynamics of how the Canucks transition the puck from defensive to offence.  

Edler Stecher

Tanev Hughes

OJ Schenn

Pitbull

Draft Broberg or Seider.  

I like all that ...but I don't think Hutton is done improving, I think he will take another big step this year and therefore be more valuable to us than keeping Tanev ...the thing is, if we keep Tanev and Edler we will have to keep some decent replacements for when they are injured ...which will likely be half the year for each of them.

Drafting Seider I am all in on that but I think we should try to trade down 5-8 spots to take him then and get another 2nd round pick as well.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Coach Agnew works directly with Juolevi.  He saw him daily in the AHL.  He was an assistant coach with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Same for EP's coach...except the penguins part...I am not saying he is going to blow the doors off like EP did...but he will look so much better than Pouliot and if I was his coach I would want him to stick around as well...

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I like all that ...but I don't think Hutton is done improving, I think he will take another big step this year and therefore be more valuable to us than keeping Tanev ...the thing is, if we keep Tanev and Edler we will have to keep some decent replacements for when they are injured ...which will likely be half the year for each of them.

Drafting Seider I am all in on that but I think we should try to trade down 5-8 spots to take him then and get another 2nd round pick as well.

Hutton Hughes for our second pair?  That could be good.

I wonder if we could trade Tanev plus our second (this draft) to move up into the back half of round one and get Seider?  We could get a top forward at 10 and then Seider at 20 to 25?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if we could trade Tanev plus our second (this draft) to move up into the back half of round one and get Seider?  We could get a top forward at 10 and then Seider at 20 to 25?

I think Hutton+3rd would fetch you a late first such as Pittsburghs who need decent defence on the cheap.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That sounds great to me and I could see some team biting on that deal ...they would have to be in the 15-23 pick range to have a shot at him still though....

In my honest opinion (imho) Olli Juolevi is going to better then what 75% of people on this board have said he would be. I think he can surpass those expectations easily by next season if health remains on his side. The kid is a phenom. Quiet. effective. and very smart. He has high hockey sense as he likes to say. The fact he had 13 PTS in the AHL in 18 Games before getting hurt is honestly a great testimate to the kid. He isn't expected to be a high point producer maybe a 40-50 pt guy - a more offensively gifted Edler? I'm betting he becomes a better defender then Edler too. The low bar for Juolevi for me is 40-45 PTS and a top 4 D man. My expectations for him are more in the 50-55 PT range well being a top 3 arguably a second #2 on a good team. 

If anyone thinks Juolevi is going to be a bottom pair guy for his career you are going to be pleasantly surprised when he shatters those expectations. The kid is legit. Just wait. It won't be long.

• Upvote 4

A safe estimate for Juolevi. Would be for him to be like a Brett Pesce of the Canes. That type of player. A Marc-Edourd Vlasic type D man. Possibly with a lot more offence.

You need those types of guys. They help you win. Oh he's also a big game performer and hates to lose. So there is that too.

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

A safe estimate for Juolevi. Would be for him to be like a Brett Pesce of the Canes. That type of player. A Marc-Edourd Vlasic type D man. Possibly with a lot more offence.

You need those types of guys. They help you win. Oh he's also a big game performer and hates to lose. So there is that too.

Nice comparison. That would be a huge win for us.

• Cheers 1

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Nice comparison. That would be a huge win for us.

With the right moves this off season and the arrival of an effective Juolevi and Hughes we could easily be a second round playoff team next season.

Look how fast the canes did it. Colorado somehow made it one game from a western conference final without a legit #2 centre. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

OJ was compared to Vlasic in his draft.  If he reached the same level, win, win and win.  

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Same for EP's coach...except the penguins part...I am not saying he is going to blow the doors off like EP did...but he will look so much better than Pouliot and if I was his coach I would want him to stick around as well...

There's tonnes of pressure on Juolevi because Tkachuk.  It would be unfair to have him come up too early and struggle.  Agnew says that he needs to be able to play at AHL pace before even being able to play at NHL pace.  His defensive game also needs work.  

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

With the right moves this off season and the arrival of an effective Juolevi and Hughes we could easily be a second round playoff team next season.

Look how fast the canes did it. Colorado somehow made it one game from a western conference final without a legit #2 centre. 

That's what I have to laugh about...all the pundits saying the Canucks don't have a shoot at the playoffs for at least a couple of years...

The parity in the league means anyone has a shoot at making the playoffs...and once your in anything can happen.

All it will take us to make the playoffs next year is to be one of the top 10 least injured teams as opposed to our usual bottom 3 ...and a tiny modicum of fair reffing...

We will have the horses to make the playoffs this year  coming up and one or 2 more pieces is all we need to make noise in the playoffs next year!

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, mll said:

There's tonnes of pressure on Juolevi because Tkachuk.  It would be unfair to have him come up too early and struggle.  Agnew says that he needs to be able to play at AHL pace before even being able to play at NHL pace.  His defensive game also needs work.  

...We will just have to wait and see...I expect that he was slowed down by the meniscus tear long before he or the medical staff knew he had the issue..I personally have worked in the bush, climbing mountains with meniscus tears....you live with it, but it slows you down and it only gets worse....

...if he gets a full summer of training in (starting in June from what it sounds like) then I also expect to see a smoother more confident Oli on the ice...it may take a few games to get him the confidence that the knee will hold before he starts showing us what he is capable of ....but he will show us soon enough.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That's the same thing EP's coach said about him...I can pretty much guarantee that if they gave Oli the same 2 year window to show he belongs on the team as they did Pouliot...the results would be 180 degrees away...Oli would prove he belongs within months and be a star in year 2.

I think he will surprise some people this year.

Just watch...!

Oh...I'm watching!!

Especially considering you said OJ will be in our top 4 by Xmas and that he will be better than Dahlin.  :mellow:

Edit: I really like OJ but putting silly short term expectations on him is dangerous. I think he will pan out over a longer term though. But being better than Dahlin? Such hyperbole. :sadno:

Edited by Kanukfanatic

Apparently someone who is on my very short ignore list is misquoting me....

I said Oli will be on the team by Xmas ...but I never said he would be better than Dahlin...ever...

I believe I said something like Oli will be better than OUR best defenseman  (Edler) within a few years...he plays a lot like Edler only with more talent.

Get a life buddy....

• Wat 1

I haven't lost hope at all on OJ although I'm disappointed he hasn't been able to start working on his pro game much yet.

This kid has elite vision and passing.  Hughes will he able to skate the puck out of danger and OJ will be one of the best passers on the back end

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Apparently someone who is on my very short ignore list is misquoting me....

I said Oli will be on the team by Xmas ...but I never said he would be better than Dahlin...ever...

I believe I said something like Oli will be better than OUR best defenseman  (Edler) within a few years...he plays a lot like Edler only with more talent.

Get a life buddy....

Haha I have the quotes. I have the date and times you typed it. Nice try boyo.

On 2/22/2019 at 1:07 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That would be great...but really with Stetcher and Hutton making such big strides I expect this to be our top 4 by Xmas;

Hutton / Stecher

Joulevi / Hughes

Edler / Tanev

Guddy

Here you go, your quote.  Are you seriously saying you did not type this? Come on lol..   :sadno:

Edit: with respect to you saying OJ would be better than Dahlin you are correct....I misread your post. You said OJ will be better than Edler. So I apologize for misreading that post.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Wat 1