The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

48 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

That's a compliment. If the poster referred to could speak 18 other languages more competently then that post, I would be beyond impressed. I can barely speak one language, and ask where to locate the john in spanish. That post instead was just a great example of internet speak.

I am honestly just impressed with his skills.

7 hours ago, J-P said:

See OJ included in all sorts of trade proposals on the site. Quite sure his value is low at the moment, and also a firm believer he will make a big difference to the D for a long time if he stays healthy. So let’s keep him. 

Yeah, now's the worst time to trade him.  

We've tried developing him all this time, we have to give him the next year and see if he can be as good as he was before his last injury.  

On 5/10/2019 at 9:56 PM, Alflives said:

Quinn is Orr; Dahlin is Lidstrom.  Both are very good.  Quinn will be more dynamic, and exciting to watch. Dahlin will be boring, but a winner - even on Buffalo. 

LOL are you really comparing Dahlin and Hughes to two of the greatest players to ever play the game? Those guys were literally perfect at their position and had zero flaws to their game. 

17 hours ago, J-P said:

See OJ included in all sorts of trade proposals on the site. Quite sure his value is low at the moment, and also a firm believer he will make a big difference to the D for a long time if he stays healthy. So let’s keep him. 

for sure, OJ is still a top level talent and it would be foolishly Mibury-ish to trade him prematurely.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 6:22 PM, drummerboy said:

Put down the scotch Alf .  

First off, you are totally missing on Dahlin and his offensive game.    The kid can dangled with the top in the league, and defend.  His is dynamic as hell and going to be a top d in the league for a long time.  

You are also giving Quinn way too much credit.    The kid is built like a little girl and not gonna get much bigger. 

Orr was 6’  200lbs and tough as nails. 

The skating, sure.  But Orr could skate, shoot, pass, dangle, hit, fight, etc....

Hughes can skate, dangle, and pass.... 

Quinn is going to be a great #2. 

Runs a power play (with someone else who can shoot). 

He is a break out machine. His strength is Dzone exits, and Ozone entrances. 

He wont be scoring goals because he shoots like a child, and he won’t be the great shutdown guy. 

Im so damn jazzed we have him, but I’m keeping my expectations only slightly higher than I had for Subban.  

Sure the the game is getting faster, but every year the playoffs show they aren’t getting smaller.  The game is rough as can be this time of year, and without proper partners/protection, Quinn ain’t gonna be great in the post season. 

Your expectations were either way too high for Subban or they're way too low for Hughes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Deathrowe said:

Your expectations were either way too high for Subban or they're way too low for Hughes.

I had zero expectations for Subban.  Lol

i hate the way he plays the game.  

It might be fair to say they are a little low on Hughes. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:22 PM, drummerboy said:

First off, you are totally missing on Dahlin and his offensive game.    The kid can dangled with the top in the league, and defend.  His is dynamic as hell and going to be a top d in the league for a long time.  

You are also giving Quinn way too much credit.    The kid is built like a little girl and not gonna get much bigger. 

The skating, sure.  But Orr could skate, shoot, pass, dangle, hit, fight, etc....

Hughes fights and hits too. Surprising, eh? And I'm not sure that he's built like a little girl, as I'm thinking someone who is 5'10" and 170 lbs. (especially at 19) can put on some weight and gain muscle as he acclimates himself to the league.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

I had zero expectations for Subban.  Lol

i hate the way he plays the game.  

It might be fair to say they are a little low on Hughes. 

Thats fair, he's not a sure fire thing by any means. I think a lot of us on this forum are a bit too high on Hughes, including myself. That being said, I think that he has the potential to run our powerplay better than it has been run in a very long time. I do think the comments about his muffin of a shot are accurate, but Hughes is very good at using his skating to manipulate shot blockers and get shots through traffic. He rarely scores but he puts pucks into high danger areas and guys like Horvat will feast on rebounds and loose pucks around the net. 

I know this next year he will have plenty of groan worthy turnovers, but i think it will all be part of his learning process. Looking forward to seeing him in a full season of action, and hopefully some more 3 on 3 overtime with Brock and Petey.

I forgot this is the Juolevi page... hes a hockey player also.

Edited by Deathrowe

On 5/22/2019 at 11:51 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Hughes fights and hits too. Surprising, eh? And I'm not sure that he's built like a little girl, as I'm thinking someone who is 5'10" and 170 lbs. (especially at 19) can put on some weight and gain muscle as he acclimates himself to the league.

Me thinks drummerboy likes the big girls.B)

• Haha 3

On 5/10/2019 at 9:22 PM, drummerboy said:

Quinn is going to be a great #2. 

Runs a power play (with someone else who can shoot). 

He is a break out machine. His strength is Dzone exits, and Ozone entrances. 

He wont be scoring goals because he shoots like a child, and he won’t be the great shutdown guy. 

Im so damn jazzed we have him, but I’m keeping my expectations only slightly higher than I had for Subban.  

Sure the the game is getting faster, but every year the playoffs show they aren’t getting smaller.  The game is rough as can be this time of year, and without proper partners/protection, Quinn ain’t gonna be great in the post season. 

This response would been better had you not said that Hughes is built like a little girl.  

Gotta say, are a fan, or a hater.  

Alf is definitely on the scotch, although I prefer 4:20 we all do what we do to get by.  

Hughes is well built for his size.  He will get heavier, but will never be considered anything but a small.d.man.  

He is very similar is size and skating to Phil Housley.  Housley was the most dynamic skating d man I saw play growing up.  He was awesome, played when a few guys still didn't wear helmets and Probert was on the ice.  

Hughes knows how to use his body while defending, this is something I wasn't expecting.  

While I don't expect him to ever be a physical guy, I do predict that he will surprise people with well timed physical play, much like EP40 has done, while be taller and lighter than Hughes.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

On 5/7/2019 at 11:28 AM, Bure_Pavel said:

All im saying is give him a taste, give him some confidence. Most of the Dman first round picks from 2017 have played a few NHL games. Including fellow countrymen Juuso VälimäkiUrho Vaakanainen, and Henri Jokiharju. Juolevi has missed less than a full year of hockey due to injury since being drafted.

There are only seven players from the 2016 draft first round who have yet to play an NHL game, and Juolevi is the only one in the Top 17 of that draft.     

How many of them missed essentially an entire season due to injury?   You do realize that he was 20 until just a few days ago.

23 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

This response would been better had you not said that Hughes is built like a little girl.  

I call it like I see it.  

I met him a little while back, and even my wife who is very petite, said ‘that kid is tiny’.  

It is what it is.  

Gotta say, are a fan, or a hater.  

I’m a big fan!    

Im also very honest and realistic in my assessments of players.    Why wouldn’t I be?   I see no purpose in blind homerism. 

Alf is definitely on the scotch, although I prefer 4:20 we all do what we do to get by.  

Yee.  Lol

Hughes is well built for his size.  He will get heavier, but will never be considered anything but a small.d.man.  

Im honestly just not a fan of small dmen.  

After watching him late in the season, and more in the worlds,  I am a little more convinced his style may work.  

His skating seems to make up for a lot of his defensive blunders. 

He is very similar is size and skating to Phil Housley.  Housley was the most dynamic skating d man I saw play growing up.  He was awesome, played when a few guys still didn't wear helmets and Probert was on the ice.  

Hughes knows how to use his body while defending, this is something I wasn't expecting.  

While I don't expect him to ever be a physical guy, I do predict that he will surprise people with well timed physical play, much like EP40 has done, while be taller and lighter than Hughes.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How many of them missed essentially an entire season due to injury?   You do realize that he was 20 until just a few days ago.

Those players listed are a year younger than him and he didnt miss a whole year, Juolevi also had a much higher draft pedigree, including a Memorial Cup and the record for most points by a U18 Dman at the U20 WJC ever. Im just saying his is going to have to get a taste of the NHL as soon as possible. Even Dipietro has played an NHL game :P  

18 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Those players listed are a year younger than him and he didnt miss a whole year, Juolevi also had a much higher draft pedigree, including a Memorial Cup and the record for most points by a U18 Dman at the U20 WJC ever. Im just saying his is going to have to get a taste of the NHL as soon as possible. Even Dipietro has played an NHL game :P  

I was at that game (massacre) and Dipietro was most definitely not ready and didn't just get a taste - he was drinking from a fire hose.   

Juolevi will get his games().  I just hope the pressure that has been heaped on him doesn't ruin the opportunity.  If he "develops" into a solid top 4 D I consider it a successful pick. His true potential isn't actually decided yet.  He was a fairly sensible pick as you pointed out in bold above.

We should know within the next few years.

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 4

On 5/10/2019 at 5:22 PM, drummerboy said:

Between this and your comparing him with Jordan Subban in terms of upside, I think you are trolling poor Alf and he is going to eventually cough you up like a cat-sized furball.

image.gif

27 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

OJ is an elite prospect that had an outstanding first year of professional hockey in Finland (ending up at top pairing guy in playoffs) and was rounding nicely in AHL on a very poor defensive team when he got the knee injury.   I am pleased in some ways that he is not the shiny new toy as much any longer and seemingly can develop with a bit less pressure but given his progression to date, I think he can come to camp and get some kinks out and start in AHL and stay for long enough to get cobwebs out of the system and then come into NHL when ready.   I am guessing only but by Christmas would be my guess for him.   Canucks would benefit massively from his zone exit, first pass and strong positional play.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

OJ is an elite prospect that had an outstanding first year of professional hockey in Finland (ending up at top pairing guy in playoffs) and was rounding nicely in AHL on a very poor defensive team when he got the knee injury.   I am pleased in some ways that he is not the shiny new toy as much any longer and seemingly can develop with a bit less pressure but given his progression to date, I think he can come to camp and get some kinks out and start in AHL and stay for long enough to get cobwebs out of the system and then come into NHL when ready.   I am guessing only but by Christmas would be my guess for him.   Canucks would benefit massively from his zone exit, first pass and strong positional play.   

Didn't think anyone still considered him an elite prospect. Although, I'm still optimistic that he will make the NHL and play in a top 4 role, I just don't think he will live up to the draft position.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1