The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, Deathrowe said:

Didn't think anyone still considered him an elite prospect. Although, I'm still optimistic that he will make the NHL and play in a top 4 role, I just don't think he will live up to the draft position.

Uh, ok.   Most people I talk to in the hockey world consider him an elite prospect.   We call collectively shake our heads to hear otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, ok.   Most people I talk to in the hockey world consider him an elite prospect.   We call collectively shake our heads to hear otherwise.

Totally agree. I recently went back and re-watched some footage of OJ at the WJC in 17-18 . He's a damn good defenseman and one that fans should still be excited about imo. I think some people hold it against him that other players drafted around him have gotten off to faster and more auspicious starts to their careers instead of judging him off his actual development. I also think the fact that his numbers didn't take a huge jump in his +1 season caused some to just write him off.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Totally agree. I recently went back and re-watched some footage of OJ at the WJC in 17-18 . He's a damn good defenseman and one that fans should still be excited about imo. I think some people hold it against him that other players drafted around him have gotten off to faster and more auspicious starts to their careers instead of judging him off his actual development. I also think the fact that his numbers didn't take a huge jump in his +1 season caused some to just write him off.

His +1 season was on a much weaker team and he played a much larger role.    People don't realize how well he has put up points as a professional - first as near historic pace as a teenager in Finland's top professional league and then to start last season in AHL at near rookie leadership point pace.   Further, in Finland he went even higher pace in the playoffs in terms of production.     

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Deathrowe said:

Didn't think anyone still considered him an elite prospect. Although, I'm still optimistic that he will make the NHL and play in a top 4 role, I just don't think he will live up to the draft position.

Agreed. I don't think many do think OJ is an ELITE prospect. Most think he is a good or very good prospect. Saying elite is homerism.

Edit: I look forward to seeing what he can do on the Canucks around Christmas or so as others have said.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

In the summer of 2018 OJ was listed as the 33rd best prospect affiliated to an NHL team. Even ranked 33rd one could argue he was not elite.

e·lite  - a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.

By January, OJ had completely fallen out of the top 50 NHL affiliated prospects put out by TSN. https://www.tsn.ca/top-50-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.1241869

One could argue that the top 10 or 20 on that list are elite. The rest are very good or good prospects. I will take that list over homers saying OJ is elite lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Agreed. I don't think many do think OJ is an ELITE prospect. Most think he is a good or very good prospect. Saying elite is homerism.

Edit: I look forward to seeing what he can do on the Canucks around Christmas or so as others have said.

Homerism?   LOL.   I don't think you have much of a clue where I live.    I think any Dman that has clear path to a top four existence (I believe top pairing, many will stick with top four) is an elite prospect.   

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I could not care less where you live CDC poster. You have one opinion just like the rest of us. Sometimes you come across with good info and then other times you come across like you know it all implying you know more because you are some secret hockey jedi. 

I will give credit to those people that made the TSN top 50 prospect list as they are publicly in the hockey game and know what they are talking about. They don't think OJ is elite but some poster on a hockey site does. 

You are welcome to your opinions and so is everyone else. OJ according to those hockey people is not elite. Seems pretty clear.

Anyway...I still hope for good things from our good Canucks prospect OJ and hope he does show us sooner or later what he can do at the NHL level.  Enjoy your day. :mellow:

Uh, every TSN/Sportsnet and other Canadian stuff you seem to think is "credible" had OJ as an elite prospect when it was appropriate given his draft year and +1.   Enjoy your day too.    :)

So pleased for OJ's sake that the actual game has more patience and understanding of "elite" and will give him the time to prove it.  

28 minutes ago, bree2 said:

so why around Christmas? several reports have stated he will be healthy in time for camp and could very well make the team on starting night

Bree, depends on how his off-ice has gone from the rehab and how this summer back onto the ice goes.   Camps are so short now but no question, that is a possibility for sure.   A lot depends on who gets moved out and/or signed between now and October - a LOT could still happen but I am willing to bet that like you, Canuck management would prefer him in Vancouver and player sooner than later.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, bree2 said:

so why around Christmas? several reports have stated he will be healthy in time for camp and could very well make the team on starting night

He's simply missed a lot of hockey the last couple years including coming off a long term injury now, without playing for months.

IMO, it's best to get him back up to speed feeding him 20+ minutes of all situations hockey in Utica so he can get back in to game shape, regain confidence etc and then call him back up Dec'ish (injury and/or Hutton trade).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's simply missed a lot of hockey the last couple years including coming off a long term injury now, without playing for months.

IMO, it's best to get him back up to speed feeding him 20+ minutes of all situations hockey in Utica so he can get back in to game shape, regain confidence etc and then call him back up Dec'ish (injury and/or Hutton trade).

Further to this, it would also allow Hughes a couple months to get acclimated before we introduce another rookie in to the lineup, both of whom will likely require initial sheltering to some degree

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I could not care less where you live CDC poster. You have one opinion just like the rest of us. Sometimes you come across with good info and then other times you come across like you know it all implying you know more because you are some secret hockey jedi. 

I will give credit to those people that made the TSN top 50 prospect list as they are publicly in the hockey game and know what they are talking about. They don't think OJ is elite but some poster on a hockey site does. 

You are welcome to your opinions and so is everyone else. OJ according to those hockey people is not elite. Seems pretty clear.

Anyway...I still hope for good things from our good Canucks prospect OJ and hope he does show us sooner or later what he can do at the NHL level.  Enjoy your day. :mellow:

Edit: haha I read your post again. The bolded is hilarious actually. In my head when I read that it is like when some politician or some celebrity walks up to a bouncer to get into a club and the bouncer turns  them away. Then that pompous politician or celebrity, in their best whiny high pitched voice says "Don't you know who I am?".  Haha.....

LOL....I thought that too after you mentioned it.   My point was simply, I am about as far removed from being a "homer" both geographically and in the fact Canucks are not even my fav NHL team (third in fact).    My observations are more based upon the prospect this kid is and the game he has.    Cheers....and I will work on the high pitched whiny thing!   :lol:

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think this is mostly just a difference of opinion about what elite in considered to be, in my mind an elite prospect is a top line player or #1 d man. Again I'm still optimistic for Juolevi moving forward in the Canucks rebuild, he will be a big part of it but I don't consider him a centerpiece.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Deathrowe said:

I think this is mostly just a difference of opinion about what elite in considered to be, in my mind an elite prospect is a top line player or #1 d man. Again I'm still optimistic for Juolevi moving forward in the Canucks rebuild, he will be a big part of it but I don't consider him a centerpiece.  

I think there is a difference between an elite player and an elite prospect. To me an elite prospect is one like OJ who has a very high probability of being an excellent (but not necessarily a #1C or #1D) NHL player.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Deathrowe said:

That makes sense.   I don't think OJ will be a number 1 Dman but who knows.   I think he will be a top pairing guy at his ceiling and a really good top 4 guy almost assuredly - both for 10 plus seasons is my projection.   He can prove me right or wrong.   We differ on "elite", not on our optimism for OJ.   Cheers!   :)

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That makes sense.   I don't think OJ will be a number 1 Dman but who knows.   I think he will be a top pairing guy at his ceiling and a really good top 4 guy almost assuredly - both for 10 plus seasons is my projection.   He can prove me right or wrong.   We differ on "elite", not on our optimism for OJ.   Cheers!   :)

Fingers crossed this injury luck comes to an end soon. He's losing some valuable development time.

Edited by cyoung
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1