The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

I wouldn't doubt if JB is actively shopping Hutton, or at least he should be.  I don't know what Hutton's value is (3rd round pick maybe?) but we need to have space for OJ.  OJ and Hughes are two young D that will change the dynamics of how the Canucks transition the puck from defensive to offence.  

Edler Stecher

Pitbull Hughes

OJ Schenn

LTIR:Tanev

Draft Broberg or Seider.  

I got you on your mistake my guy

15 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

How do you know he quoted you if he's on your ignore list?  Do you have inside narcs relaying messages?  

You pretty much did say Juolevi will be better than Dahlin.  

You said Hughes will be better than Dahlin and you said Juolevi was a better pick than Tkachuk because he won't make as much money.. like come on, if Buffalo offers Dahlin for Hughes you would turn it down?

And selecting players who make less money isn't a win

Also, who are the "pundits" saying we are 2-3 years away from playoffs?  I'm guessing there aren't any.  Why create false narratives?  

You need to get a life too....

I never said Juolevi will be better than Dahlin....I don't think that will happen...but it could.

I never said Hughes will be better than Dahlin ...but he might be better offensively and that is what we need.

The pundits are everywhere...open your ears! 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

You need to get a life too....

I never said Juolevi will be better than Dahlin....I don't think that will happen...but it could.

I never said Hughes will be better than Dahlin ...but he might be better offensively and that is what we need.

The pundits are everywhere...open your ears! 

Dahlin is really good, but he's not Quinn Hughes offensively.  

OJ is going to be a good NHL D man.  

I'd say that Dahlin is like a hybrid of Hughes and OJ.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dahlin is 18 and can dangle and hit on a level OJ and QH can’t. I believe he’s a true no 1 D that will live up to the hype in a few years. 

Regardless, very happy to have OJ and QH on the team. 

• Haha 1

You are right Alf!

He doesn’t have Hughes offence.  

He has much better!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

You are right Alf!

He doesn’t have Hughes offence.  

He has much better!

Quinn is Orr; Dahlin is Lidstrom.  Both are very good.  Quinn will be more dynamic, and exciting to watch. Dahlin will be boring, but a winner - even on Buffalo. 

On 5/9/2019 at 8:00 PM, Rush17 said:

A safe estimate for Juolevi. Would be for him to be like a Brett Pesce of the Canes. That type of player. A Marc-Edourd Vlasic type D man. Possibly with a lot more offence.

You need those types of guys. They help you win. Oh he's also a big game performer and hates to lose. So there is that too.

Fwiw assistant coach Agnew in Utica used Olli Maatta as comparable.

21 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Just play the kid period. He’s ahl done time for nhl. Who cares about the Comet clown staff opinions.

I got zero respect for that comet clown staff.

Is English your 19th language.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Quinn is Orr; Dahlin is Lidstrom.  Both are very good.  Quinn will be more dynamic, and exciting to watch. Dahlin will be boring, but a winner - even on Buffalo. 

Dahlin is very far from boring. Just watch the kid....exciting as they come.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I don't understand how anyone can say that Juolevi is done with the AHL after 18 games. He was racking up points on the powerplay, but his defensive game was lacking. We need to see if the knee played a significant role in that or whether he actually needs to change his game to defend well at the AHL level, which is still a step below the NHL level. 

Comparing Juolevi to other players drafted in 2016 or other comparable players will not lead to anything good as he's behind pretty much everyone right now. The most important thing we can do is work with what we've got and develop him as best we can, which is almost certainly not starting him in the NHL. 

OJ had a poor camp last year, played 18 games as a rookie and did well.  He was shut down due to his knee, which could explain why he had a bad camp and why he was struggling defensively in Utica.  He had trouble turning to the outside and was caught more than a few times.  A bum knee could explain that.  

This is OJ's time to show that he gets the fitness and conditioning part of being a pro.  He has the time to prepare.  

Pending that, I have no concerns and we have nothing but the summer to wait to see.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Alf,

Dahlin scored the most points by a d man as an 18 y/o rookie in years.  Hughes is going to be a game changer for us.  

Gotta say, if we landed the second best d man of the draft, I am golden with that.  Last year's draft was filled with dynamic d men.  Dahlin has done nothing but cement himself as the front runner.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Put down the scotch Alf .  

First off, you are totally missing on Dahlin and his offensive game.    The kid can dangled with the top in the league, and defend.  His is dynamic as hell and going to be a top d in the league for a long time.  

You are also giving Quinn way too much credit.    The kid is built like a little girl and not gonna get much bigger. 

Orr was 6’  200lbs and tough as nails. 

The skating, sure.  But Orr could skate, shoot, pass, dangle, hit, fight, etc....

Hughes can skate, dangle, and pass.... 

Quinn is going to be a great #2. 

Runs a power play (with someone else who can shoot). 

He is a break out machine. His strength is Dzone exits, and Ozone entrances. 

He wont be scoring goals because he shoots like a child, and he won’t be the great shutdown guy. 

Im so damn jazzed we have him, but I’m keeping my expectations only slightly higher than I had for Subban.  

Sure the the game is getting faster, but every year the playoffs show they aren’t getting smaller.  The game is rough as can be this time of year, and without proper partners/protection, Quinn ain’t gonna be great in the post season. 

Edited by drummerboy

watched just 5-10 mins of QH vs Slovakia. Good with the puck and ok positioning, but you’d have to be very biased not to notice he had trouble defending one on one at times and that he was easily outmuscled. That’s ok, some of that will get better with positioning and experience, some of it is just accepting he’s an offensive D. 

What OJ and QH will hopefully do is change the transition game and the PP, if they achieve that I’m fine with them being a #2-3 D individually. 

On 5/10/2019 at 3:30 PM, cyoung said:

Is English your 19th language.

That's a compliment. If the poster referred to could speak 18 other languages more competently then that post, I would be beyond impressed. I can barely speak one language, and ask where to locate the john in spanish. That post instead was just a great example of internet speak.