The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

13 minutes ago, OneSeventeen said:

This is Tkachuk's third year in the NHL, he's likely to develop a better defensive game as he progresses. I'm also betting that Tklachuk's likely going to have a better career compared to Marchand when all is said and done. 

I'm still pretty high on Joulevi regardless. Hutton, Hughes and Joulevi on the left side going forward is pretty solid. 

That's a bold statement.  I'd say Marchand is a top 5 player in the world right now.  I don't think Tkachuk drives the play enough for that comparison

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He drove the golf cart well today......

Taking shots a near point per game guy that is in the NHL playing meaningful playoff games, albeit short playoff run, while the guy we took instead is becoming the next Tanev? We all cope in our own ways I suppose. 

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Taking shots a near point per game guy that is in the NHL playing meaningful playoff games, albeit short playoff run, while the guy we took instead is becoming the next Tanev? We all cope in our own ways I suppose. 

Ya.....cope.    :lol:

On 4/13/2019 at 1:51 PM, stawns said:

Not denying his abilities in any way, shape or form.  He's a fantastic player.  He's just not the kind of player I want on the team I cheer for.  

Im down for winning a championship at all costs........sweep the leg.

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion Juolevi needs to start on the Canucks next season, to see what he can do at that level. He is one of only six Dmen drafted in the first two rounds of 2016 to not have played a single NHL game (he is 21 years old). If after 10-15 games he needs more seasoning send him back to AHL. A taste of the good life, will serve as extra motivation and the paycheck will help him elevate some stress probably (makes $70,000 in Utica) 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

In my opinion Juolevi needs to start on the Canucks next season, to see what he can do at that level. He is one of only six Dmen drafted in the first two rounds of 2016 to not have played a single NHL game (he is 21 years old). If after 10-15 games he needs more seasoning send him back to AHL. A taste of the good life, will serve as extra motivation and the paycheck will help him elevate some stress probably (makes $70,000 in Utica) 

Totally disagree, unless he comes in obviously ready then you send him to Utica so that he can play a lot of minutes. Just coming off a longterm injury so why force him in? 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

No way, he just came off a huge injury. He needs time to get back into the groove of things, that would be a terrible mistake.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He’ll play most of preseason and that’s where management will get a glimpse of where he’s at. He’s 21, no need to rush. He did really well the last 2 years with his limited time, no need to rush him in and feed him to the wolves. Most likely he ends the season with us though. The kid is a talent. Pair him with Tanev and you have a great top 6

Edler Stecher

Hughes Schenn

Juolevi Tanev

Hutton

Biega 

Obviously our LD will need a shakeup as Hutton is not a #7D but I guess we’ll get our fair share of injuries to make it work. 

11 hours ago, cyoung said:

No way, he just came off a huge injury. He needs time to get back into the groove of things, that would be a terrible mistake.

He has training camp and preseason to get his timing back, with a full offseason of training he should be ready to go. High IQ players are able to adapt pretty quickly, skating will be the big thing.   

I'm going to be Debbie Downer again but Juolevi didn't look NHL ready to me last season.  Does anyone know if he was playing through with a knee injury in Utica or was the injury sustained just before he was held out of games and then determined surgery was needed.  The reason why I asked is his skating was slow and sluggish looking all season.  If he was playing through an injury that would explain it but if not I would be concerned.  He was often slow to the puck and not physical enough to do much with it if he didn't get possession quickly before a forechecking forward was on him.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

I'm going to be Debbie Downer again but Juolevi didn't look NHL ready to me last season.  Does anyone know if he was playing through with a knee injury in Utica or was the injury sustained just before he was held out of games and then determined surgery was needed.  The reason why I asked is his skating was slow and sluggish looking all season.  If he was playing through an injury that would explain it but if not I would be concerned.  He was often slow to the puck and not physical enough to do much with it if he didn't get possession quickly before a forechecking forward was on him.

Meniscus tears can happen gradually...tearing a bit here and there with excessive movement to  the side....I would think he has been playing with progressively worse tears as the season(s) went on, which slows you down trying to skate through pain.

With a few months training he may well look like he was shoot out of a canon come fall...

21 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He is one of only six Dmen drafted in the first two rounds of 2016 to not have played a single NHL game (he is 21 years old).

That seems a rather arbitrary reason to start him in the NHL, particularly given the main reason he's yet to play an NHL game, is injuries effecting his development/play time and not a lack of skill, effort etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

That seems a rather arbitrary reason to start him in the NHL, particularly given the main reason he's yet to play an NHL game, is injuries effecting his development/play time and not a lack of skill, effort etc.

All im saying is give him a taste, give him some confidence. Most of the Dman first round picks from 2017 have played a few NHL games. Including fellow countrymen Juuso VälimäkiUrho Vaakanainen, and Henri Jokiharju. Juolevi has missed less than a full year of hockey due to injury since being drafted.

There are only seven players from the 2016 draft first round who have yet to play an NHL game, and Juolevi is the only one in the Top 17 of that draft.     

Edited by Bure_Pavel

9 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

All im saying is give him a taste, give him some confidence. Most of the Dman first round picks from 2017 have played a few NHL games. Including fellow countrymen Juuso VälimäkiUrho Vaakanainen, and Henri Jokiharju. Juolevi has missed less than a full year of hockey due to injury since being drafted.

There are only seven players from the 2016 draft first round who have yet to play an NHL game, and Juolevi is the only one in the Top 17 of that draft.     

OJ is going to surpise a lot of people coming out of camp.  He's going to make our squad to start the year, play really well, and force JB to trade Hutton.  OJ is already a big body, plus he's a good skater, has elite skills, and has a very high hockey IQ.  He and Hughes will transform our D.  I'd love to add Tryamkin too.  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OJ is going to surpise a lot of people coming out of camp.  He's going to make our squad to start the year, play really well, and force JB to trade Hutton.  OJ is already a big body, plus he's a good skater, has elite skills, and has a very high hockey IQ.  He and Hughes will transform our D.  I'd love to add Tryamkin too.  

Very possible, like all players management has probably given Juolevi a list of the things he needs to work on to take his game to the next level. Even injured there are stuff you can work on and do to improve such as time in the video room. 

Lehto on Juolevi's knee : "I can't get into details but we are taking it week by week but when September comes, I have every reason to believe that Olli will be 100%. In August he has workouts planned in Finland with some top NHLers."

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 4