The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

6 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

There often seems to be an understanding by trolls like Big Head that criticism = being negative and writing off the prospect. Where as, I think for a lot of us our criticism stems from discussing what needs to be improved upon and not necessarily writing off the prospect entirely. That is the difference between "constructive criticism" and just out right being negative. 

Bingo. You can be negative, but do it constructively in that you see a poor part of a player's game or think the overall ceiling is lower than expected because of this evidence or that reasoning. The "he sucks so I hope he falls off a cliff and dies" approach is not constructive, and definitely falls under trolling when you do it on said prospect's team's message boards.

If you want the second approach, a team-neutral site like HFBoards might let that pass. If you try it on a site that supports the player in the majority (or at least wants to even if he's not playing as well as they'd like) then:

7iDAEMa.png

Don't worry, Big Head, we'll wait until you can bring specific examples and constructive debate on any players supported by this team on these forums by our fanbase, and happily debate with the merits of your opinion.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Oy, let's keep this thread on the topic of OJ, not other posters.

Fair enough. We'd like to, and I think Juolevi has that Hamhuis potential. Hopefully it's even a little more refined than that offensively - and area where Hamhuis did reasonably well in but never truly excelled - and can become the solid, effective and productive #1 we'd all love to see.

Any update on how he has been doing after all the drama that has happened here? Juolevi has a bright future and he is only getting better to date. Could be the next Salo that we haven't had in the last few years. I also love his playmaking ability and reads the game ahead of anybody else out on the ice. Had he had a solid core of offensive players like a Puljujarvi, the team would've had a shot of making it to the QFs or maybe even semis. I just hope he continues to improve on his flaws and become a solid top 2/top 4 defenceman for our team down the road. Go Olli Go!

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Any update on how he has been doing after all the drama that has happened here? Juolevi has a bright future and he is only getting better to date. Could be the next Salo that we haven't had in the last few years. I also love his playmaking ability and reads the game ahead of anybody else out on the ice. Had he had a solid core of offensive players like a Puljujarvi, the team would've had a shot of making it to the QFs or maybe even semis. I just hope he continues to improve on his flaws and become a solid top 2/top 4 defenceman for our team down the road. Go Olli Go!

Out of interest, what drama are you referring to? The overblown expectations of this board that he should have not only made the team right out of camp, but should currently be putting up Bobby Ore type numbers? Or something with the team where they told him to go back to junior and get stronger (which he needs to do).

• Upvote 1

For those of us who cannot watch or follow junior hockey closely, it's tough to get a read on OJ's performance outside of the normal stats. Point totals seem fine given his increased defensive deployments and less talents forwards on the team vs. last year.  I'm really interested in how he's coming along on the possession/defensive/breakout games. Anyone that can continue to shed lights on this is very much appreciated. 

I think we made the right choice in picking a puck-moving 1/2D with this pick. I just hope we picked the right player.

But staying on Juolevi, he comes in at #2 on the Canucks Army rankings:

http://canucksarmy.com/2017/1/26/canucks-army-midterm-prospect-rankings-2-olli-juolevi

Mitch Marner, Matthew Tkachuk and Christian Dvorak ripped apart the OHL last season. While this season, his most common forward teammates on the ice are Cliff Pu (43.7%), JJ Piccinich (41.2%), and Robert Thomas (34.5%), who are all having good seasons but not at the same level as the trio above.

Also, Juolevi is playing on the 'second pairing' with Evan Bouchard, because Victor Mete and Juolevi are both left-handed shots and thus play the left side. This is resulting in Mete being on the first pairing for the Knights, while Juolevi is on the 'second'. Juolevi's eTOI is actually a shade under 25 minutes per game, so saying that he is a second pairing defenceman isn't exactly fair. He sees regular ice-time on the power-play and penalty kill.

Jackson McDonald covered this topic in December, and was correct in his conclusion that although the second pairing ice time is eye-brow raising, it isn't something to be concerned about as it is easily explained and justified due to handedness of Mete and Juolevi, and the want to balance the lineup for the OHL Championship contending Knights.

It is worth noting that the Knights have since acquired New York Islanders prospect Mitchell Vande Sompel, who is also left-handed.

He is just coming out of a bit of hot streak - where his five games rolling PPG was hovering around 1.5 PPG; it's fallen in the last few games. We can see that Juolevi has remained relatively steady with his PPG rate throughout the season, which is encouraging to see that there aren't large periods without points, never going more than two games between posting a point.

Ideally - Juolevi needs to shoot more. Last year, his shot's per game was 2.28 S/PG, and that has fallen to 1.97 S/PG this season. This has ballooned his SH% from 6.9% in 2015/16 to 11.9% this year, which is 8th highest amongst defenceman. Even if he saw some regression in that shooting percentage, more shots would mean more goals. He is set to beat his goal total from last year of 9 (he currently has 8). Last season,  Juolevi had 4 PP goals, this year, he has zero.

Lastly, 17 of his points are primary points (eight goals, and nine first assists), with 12 being secondary assists. Thus 41.3% of his points are secondary assists.

Juolevi is rightfully the Canucks second best prospect right now - he has the makings to be a part of this team for an extended period. The numbers above are just part of the analysis of the player, and it's fair to say that the figures aren't giving the full picture. (which is another prime example of why numbers, eye-test and context should be combined and work together)

The Canucks think that Juolevi can be a top pairing defenceman because of his very high hockey IQ, and that comes across clearly when you watch him.

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

But staying on Juolevi, he comes in at #2 on the Canucks Army rankings:

http://canucksarmy.com/2017/1/26/canucks-army-midterm-prospect-rankings-2-olli-juolevi

I would say that the analysis is pretty fair for the most part and mostly what we have gathered here in the forum as well. Basically that his role and teammates have changed slightly and he has made some progress, but not a lot of progress and he has yet to take it to that next level offensively. I find this the most interesting of the post: 

"Given that Juolevi is not on loan from Finland, he is bound by the NHL/CHL agreement - thus it's the NHL or CHL next year. I would expect that unless there are some drastic changes to the back-end this summer, Juolevi will start his NHL career next season."

I am hoping by "start his NHL career" he means given 9 games and then sent back down to the CHL. There is no point in rushing this kid and we already have a solid group of defensemen to continue groom here like Stecher and Tryamkin. Let him learn to be dominant offensively where he has the freedom to do so in the OHL. 

13 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I would say that the analysis is pretty fair for the most part and mostly what we have gathered here in the forum as well. Basically that his role and teammates have changed slightly and he has made some progress, but not a lot of progress and he has yet to take it to that next level offensively. I find this the most interesting of the post: 

"Given that Juolevi is not on loan from Finland, he is bound by the NHL/CHL agreement - thus it's the NHL or CHL next year. I would expect that unless there are some drastic changes to the back-end this summer, Juolevi will start his NHL career next season."

I am hoping by "start his NHL career" he means given 9 games and then sent back down to the CHL. There is no point in rushing this kid and we already have a solid group of defensemen to continue groom here like Stecher and Tryamkin. Let him learn to be dominant offensively where he has the freedom to do so in the OHL. 

I also thought that was weird. It would take some pretty drastic changes to even make room for him next year.

I'd rather he go back to London, gain strength, maybe join Utica next spring for a playoff run and see where he's at the following fall. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Out of interest, what drama are you referring to? The overblown expectations of this board that he should have not only made the team right out of camp, but should currently be putting up Bobby Ore type numbers? Or something with the team where they told him to go back to junior and get stronger (which he needs to do).

What has happened in the last few pages is what I'm referring to. No I never had those kind of expectations for a defenceman that's just my age. The kid a stud. Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

I also thought that was weird. It would take some pretty drastic changes to even make room for him next year.

I'd rather he go back to London, gain strength, maybe join Utica next spring for a playoff run and see where he's at the following fall. 

While I don't really expect him to make the team next season, stranger things have happened. It all depends on how he continues to develop in the second half of this season and over the summer. His high hockey IQ certainly gives him a chance to be next year's Hutton/Stecher.

19 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

While I don't really expect him to make the team next season, stranger things have happened. It all depends on how he continues to develop in the second half of this season and over the summer. His high hockey IQ certainly gives him a chance to be next year's Hutton/Stecher.

I think it depends on who we lose in the expansion. If we lose Sbisa to trade or expansion I think he has a better shot ayou making the team. If we lose burrows/Hansen/Granlund to the expansion or trade then I do the think there is a way he cracks the top 7.

7 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

I think it depends on who we lose in the expansion. If we lose Sbisa to trade or expansion I think he has a better shot ayou making the team. If we lose burrows/Hansen/Granlund to the expansion or trade then I do the think there is a way he cracks the top 7.

And if we lose none of those guys? 

I don't see him cracking our top 6 and if he's not in the top 6, he's better off in Junior.

3 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

I don't really disagree (I think, you might want to edit your post to make it clearer what you think). Certainly, the expansion draft, trades and injuries will all affect how much room there is in the lineup. 

But the bottom line is that, as is almost always the case, it will be up to the player. If he comes in to training camp and looks like Stecher did this year, chances are he will be on the team. If he looks more like Larsen, probably not.