The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

There will be an opportunity for OJ to step up with 2 (possibly 3) of their top scorers (by a wide margin) gone. I wonder if he will be given more of a green light to jump up with the rush and be more of a catalyst offensively.

Theres that too but I'm hoping he can do his magic without the big names so as to end the arguments. .."well he had this guy and this guy doing all of the work, blah blah blah"

Then again....every great offensive D also had great players in front of him

1 hour ago, clam linguine said:

Is it true that he was kicked off the knights first team PP time unit in the playoffs (losing out to a younger player)? I do not see how this can project to a solution to our PMD needs, never mind an NHL star.

Mete is yhe same age and he is no slouch, pure offensive defensemen who lots had pegged to go early 2nd. Whos to say hunter wanted him on thr 2nd unit sp that would run through him as thr 1st unit ran through marner

He's so smart defensively, plays with incredible poise, has elite skating and vision, and a good attitude.

This fan base has forgotten about the excitement of a top defensive prospect - looking forward to Olli showing everyone what he's capable of.

• Upvote 4

This kids upside is ridiculous imo. Smooth skater, good first pass, good vision, drives the play, can get the wrist shot through, good size and still growing (apparently)

People use olli maata as a comparison which i think is a total cop out and just crap.

Hes going to get bigger and stronger for obvious reasons. If he grows a bit more and gets faster i can see him having a Pietrangelo upside. 

If his shot gets harder i can see an ekman-larson upside.

If all goes the same i can see him projecting to a hampus lindholm type player. 

4 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

Havent teally chimed in yet. 

First of all I'm neutral for the pick. Mainly because I went full desi and ripped benning a new one after last years deaft. I had a nice serving of crow this season. Although Olli may not be the sexy pick for a dman, I dont doubt that he is the top dman at the draft. His numbers dont show it but his hardware does. Few may claim that its due to the team he was on but 

Memorial cup champion (tournament  winning overtime assist)

Wjc champion

Wjc top defenseman

Along with a 3 assist game in the QF against canada. (I just watched his shift by shift in that game (24mins TOI). He is the reason finland won.

He may never sport the numbers sergachev will (not guaranteed) but OJs play makes everyone on his team better offensively.  When hes on the ice the puck is never in his end. It enters, he gets it usually with stick work, finds an open man, sends him. Advanced stats are becoming more and more popular, im personally not a fan of them, but im willing to bet his corsi numbers are through the roof. 

While I like the pick, he definitely needs to work on a few things. Personally i would like to see him more aggressive with and without the puck. I want to see a harder shot from him. And of course upping his weight closer to 200. Maybe 190-200.

I think he has a super high ceiling. Whos to say he cant be duncan keith? I dont think he reaches that level but he certainly has the ability. I think he will be OUR number one dman for years to come. I dont think he becomes a norris winner or anything like that. 

GOOSE OUT

Really, his numbers don't show it?

He had 42 points in 57 games as a 17 year old rookie defenseman whos adjusting to the smaller ice in a new country.

14 points in 18 games in the playoffs including 7 points in 4 games in the Memorial Cup!

He led his team from the backend at the World Juniors with 9 points in 7 games!

Juolevi is a great offensive defenseman with 2-way ability and had great PPG ratios in the season, playoffs and tournaments. His numbers definitely show it.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

Really, his numbers don't show it?

He had 42 points in 57 games as a 17 year old rookie defenseman whos adjusting to the smaller ice in a new country.

14 points in 18 games in the playoffs including 7 points in 4 games in the Memorial Cup!

He led his team from the backend at the World Juniors with 9 points in 7 games!

Juolevi is a great offensive defenseman with 2-way ability and had great PPG ratios in the season, playoffs and tournaments. His numbers definitely show it.

I think you missed the entire point of his post.  No his numbers don't show he was the top offensive D man in this years draft.  There were d in this years draft who had less talent to work with and produced at a higher rate. But the point is even though he's not the most flashy and offensively gifted, he's a solid all-round pick. 

• Upvote 1

It might not be as exciting to draft a D 1st overall, as opposed to adding one of the top forwards, but it needs to be done in order to assemble a proper winning team. Drafting only one of the top forwards year after year and ignoring the D and goaltending doesn't get you anywhere (EDM). As it is for EDM, they'll have to trade Eberle, Hall, RNH and/or Yak to try and acquire some decent D. So much for getting those top forward picks. I hope they never learn. I'm glad Benning is doing this the right way.

• Upvote 1

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 7:56 AM, LaBamba said:

I don't want to see this kid in the NHL until he spends some time in Utica. McCann, Virtanen and Horvat should have all taken this route. It's not a question of whether they can or can't play in the NHL. It's more about not cutting corners in a players development. The development of players should come well ahead of the team's priorities. 

Agreed except for bo

3 hours ago, manroth19 said:

This kids upside is ridiculous imo. Smooth skater, good first pass, good vision, drives the play, can get the wrist shot through, good size and still growing (apparently)

People use olli maata as a comparison which i think is a total cop out and just crap.

Hes going to get bigger and stronger for obvious reasons. If he grows a bit more and gets faster i can see him having a Pietrangelo upside. 

If his shot gets harder i can see an ekman-larson upside.

If all goes the same i can see him projecting to a hampus lindholm type player. 

giphy.gif

Anyone who's complaining about Juolevi at 5th. Who would you rather have taken? Tkchuck? When both guys are in their primes I bet Juolevi is worth a lot more... Dmen like Juolevi are worth their weight in gold. This guy is going to maybe be our best Dman we have ever had. 

Was listening to 1040 where BMAC had Shane Malloy on.  Malloy, a USHL scout, hosts a radio program regarding hockey prospects and he was highly complimentary of Juloevi and stated he has all the tools to be a number 1 dman.  Also said he was highly intelligent and saw some Lidstrom-esque components in his game - the way he stays calm in all situations and makes the right play very consistently. Malloy said that the Canucks made the right pick for their organization.  You just dont pass up on stud Centers and D men because they are o so hard to find....

Click the link and go to about 47:20 to hear the interview:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/bmac-donnie-the-moj-june-27-hour-3-1.516708

Edited by Darius71
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, clam linguine said:

Is it true that he was kicked off the knights first team PP time unit in the playoffs (losing out to a younger player)? I do not see how this can project to a solution to our PMD needs, never mind an NHL star.

"I'm going to take an unverified statement and form a concrete opinion based on it. This is a sensible way to get through life."

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

"I'm going to take an unverified statement and form a concrete opinion based on it. This is a sensible way to get through life."

I asked a question, you got a problem with that?  Congrats on getting your man.

Edited by clam linguine

1 minute ago, clam linguine said:

I asked a question, you got a problem with that?  Congrats on getting your man.

Hi Clam.  You're cute when you're angry. :)

i just finished hearing an interview with one of the top OHL  Scouts on 1040.  He said Olli was the number one D man on the Knights in all circumstances.  Really, we will have to wait and see if he is a top pairing guy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Hi Clam.  You're cute when you're angry. :)

i just finished hearing an interview with one of the top OHL  Scouts on 1040.  He said Olli was the number one D man on the Knights in all circumstances.  Really, we will have to wait and see if he is a top pairing guy.

Well...OK then....lol.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think you missed the entire point of his post.  No his numbers don't show he was the top offensive D man in this years draft.  There were d in this years draft who had less talent to work with and produced at a higher rate. But the point is even though he's not the most flashy and offensively gifted, he's a solid all-round pick. 

London D don't typically score much. Look at Zadorov and Matta in their draft years (had Horvat, Tierney, Griffith, Namestnikov and Domi in those years). Matta (32 points in draft year, highest scoring D on London that year) walked in a year after being drafted and was practically a 30 point defenseman in the NHL and Zadorov (25 in 60) is also a highly regarded prospect. A stats comparison like that is very superficial.

OJ is tied for 2nd highest scoring D-man in 6 years for London and did it as a 17 year old import. The only guy who beat him was a 20 year old 4th year player in 2010. Looks just fine to me.

Edited by ghjffbali

2 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

Well...OK then....lol.

I hear you though.  maybe the d kid take in round five - Candella - could turn out the better of the two?  It's a wait and see for all our prospects.

i do like that Olli played in the OHL last season.  We have seen him do well on the smaller ice, in the faster, tougher action.  It's the Euro league guys who might have trouble making the transition.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ghjffbali said:

London D don't typically score much. Look at Zadorov and Matta in their draft years (had Horvat, Tierney, Griffith, Namestnikov and Domi in those years). Matta (32 points in draft year, highest scoring D on London that year) walked in a year after being drafted and was practically a 30 point defenseman in the NHL and Zadorov (25 in 60) is also a highly regarded prospect. A stats comparison like that is very superficial.

OJ is tied for 2nd highest scoring D-man in 6 years for London and did it as a 17 year old import. The only guy who beat him was a 20 year old 4th year player in 2010. Looks just fine to me.

Carlson put up 76 points 6 years ago as a 19 year old after playing his previous two years in the USHL. And sure matta didn't put up points but even Domi only ended up with 87 points compared to Dvorak who had 121 points.  

I'm not saying he won't produce. but he's not a highly rated offensive prospect, he's a good skater and has good hockey sense, but that doesn't mean he will be an offensive threat.  We all like him but lets not over hype him and make him something he's not.   He's going to be a good player but lets stop taking anything against his game getting up in arms about it. He's not a complete prospect, there's a reason why he went 5th overall and not 1st.

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hear you though.  maybe the d kid take in round five - Candella - could turn out the better of the two?  It's a wait and see for all our prospects.

i do like that Olli played in the OHL last season.  We have seen him do well on the smaller ice, in the faster, tougher action.  It's the Euro league guys who might have trouble making the transition.  

Yea, sure...Ollie has potential, but to pass up Tkachuk?   We will have to be lucky to get the better of this.  I am done whining now, but if Benning screwed up this no brainer, I hope he gets turfed.  However,  if Ollie outperforms MT...I will hail JB  and Winter Soldier...as genius.

• Upvote 1