The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

If we want to groom Juolevi into a future Provorov or Werenski we need to send him back to junior next year for 1 season, then bring him up to the AHL where he can play at least 40 games against men and see if he makes the NHL transition right away. If not, leave him in the AHL as their top D-man and give him a shot the following year whereby Edler won't be our top man anymore, Hutton will be logging bigger minutes and Juolevi can slot into 15-18 minutes a night as a twenty year old.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If we want to groom Juolevi into a future Provorov or Werenski we need to send him back to junior next year for 1 season, then bring him up to the AHL where he can play at least 40 games against men and see if he makes the NHL transition right away. If not, leave him in the AHL as their top D-man and give him a shot the following year whereby Edler won't be our top man anymore, Hutton will be logging bigger minutes and Juolevi can slot into 15-18 minutes a night as a twenty year old.

Leave it to the coaches, trainers, and management when the time comes - training camp - and I'm sure they'll have far more information and a much more sound, informed opinion on the matter.

Btw, Provorov/Werenski were drafted last year - one remained in college and finished in the AHL, the other in the WHL - they're not really "future" references, they're in their +1 draft seasons - and every player is different.  A "future" Noah Hanifin etc would be equally acceptable.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Indecisive said:

I love Juolevi. Before we even knew we had 5, I was hoping for him (other than Keller) very smooth, very safe D-man. Best in the draft IMO. I would project him at a #3 D-man minimum. I wonder why people are so mad about not getting a scorer. Scoring wingers aren't that rare. You can find 25-30 goal scorers through free agency, and we had no game changing D prospects before juolevi. The only thing I don't like is that we let Tkachuk go to Calgary. He's gonna be a pain to play against. It will be fun seeing him and Virtanen go at it.

That's just the thing.  In addition to being the BPA, it remains the fact that the marketplace for defensemen is simply that much slimmer and more difficult to deal in than it is for forwards.   When you can add a projected top pairing blueliner, that is simply a rarer asset than a projected top line forward.

Take this free agency as a representative example.  How many top 6 forwards are on the market and going to free agency relative to top 4 defensemen?   It is not even close, and hardly, if ever, really is.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Wait. What? You actually like something? What a great day this must be for you.

• Upvote 1

Great pick by Benning. Top quality defencemen are always undervalued until you need one, and it's good to see he saw beyond the hype of the other forwards not taken in the top 4. With the unexpected arrival of Hutton, Tryamkin's debut, and the acquisition

of Gudbranson and Juolevi, our defense looks well built compared to the patchwork we had last year.

Defence also helps offence too. The sooner we take the puck away from the other team, the sooner our forwards can take the play to the other end of the ice and generate offence. Our team last year was terrible in our own zone, and it decreased our offensive time, increased the risk of injury, and ultimately led to our spiral to the bottom of the league. If the quality of your forwards is an indication of your offensive ceiling, then the quality of your defence is your offensive floor and the Canucks fell through the floor last year.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Sami Salo should mentor this guy! Teach him the ways of the clapper...

He remembers when Salo got a puck to the nuts as a Canuck. He also remembered the 2011 run because fellow scandanavians the Sedins were involved The Lumme Salo Juolevi connection is going to turn into a big deal imo. His eyes are always looking up ice.

4 hours ago, TheLiveWire said:

His only real knock, and the only real reason is lack of lean muscle. Juolevi already has the frame at 6'2 185 pounds, and all the tools. It's actually very similar to one of his best friends, fellow finns, and former London Knight Olli Maata. Maata gives Juolevi pointers on every little thing he needs, including preparation and what to expect. honestly think Maata, isn't too far off to what Juolevi can become, if not better. Juolevi, if he can add some lean muscle to his 6'2 frame can seriously be a top pairing defensman for us for years to come. Horvat leads the forwards, and Juolevi leads the D.

I honestly think Olli Maata is the floor potential for Juolevi and that should be exciting for everyone. Juolevi is better offensively and Maata is a little better defensively but they are both very similar in other aspects. I see a lot of OEL in Juolevi's game. Warming up to this pick even more as time goes by. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeltaSwede said:

I honestly think Olli Maata is the floor potential for Juolevi and that should be exciting for everyone. Juolevi is better offensively and Maata is a little better defensively but they are both very similar in other aspects. I see a lot of OEL in Juolevi's game. Warming up to this pick even more as time goes by. 

Is he really, though?

Didn't he produces most of his points off the man-advantage, where he's pretty much fed his passes to Marner and Dvorak for the "give me" assists? You also can't ignore that he plays for one of the top offensive team, in all of major juniors and played in a stacked Finnish World Junior team, with Aho, Puljujarvvi, and Laine.

I honestly don't really see his offensive ceiling that high, for the reasons above. He'd be a great defensemen, don't get me wrong, but I think his productions will top-up at 40 points. Similar to Hamhuis' production, which I see a lot of in Juolevi's game. Safe, smart, great first pass, not overly physical, nothing to fancy.

4 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

We've come a heck of a long way in just a year. I remember at the start of last season our entire defense prospect core with a decent shot of becoming an NHLer was Frank Corrado, with unknowns and question marks in Subban, Hutton, and Tryamkin.

Now look at it. Benning traded for a former 3rd overall pick Gudbranson who is already a full time top 4 defenseman. Hutton and Tryamkin are NHLers, with Hutton representing Canada and winning gold at the World Championships. Benning signed Stecher, who won the NCAA championship. He then drafted Juolevi, who won the World Junior Gold, OHL championship, and the Memorial Cup. 

Defense wins championships, and Benning is building a defense core that has already won them. 

Tanev was also on the ice in the last minute of the last game at the World Championship. 

Our D is looking up this fine morning.

On 6/24/2016 at 4:51 PM, TheHitman said:

Time to get wrecked 6-8 times a year for the next decade by Tkachuk and Puljajarvi. Great. 

Depends.  Calgary looked beatable big time last season and EDM looks good up front but no D once again.  Reinhart isnt good Defense.

Odd EDM didnt pick up Juolevi or Sergachev at 4.  They need defense above all.