The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

8 hours ago, Yotes said:

It was the right pick to make, given our situation. We do lack some more scoring F depth with some recent moves we made earlier in the year, but maybe we will be addressing some of that with a pending UFA signing here shortly.

I also think that this could open up the door for a potential move of the NTC D man in Edler, he could be the main part of a deal to bring in some scoring help upfront also. Might not happen right away but in the next year or so depending how our newish D core does going forward.

Juolevi has grown on me more with his interviews, always like Lumme and Salo as ex canucks who were Finnish and Juolevi is likely going to become a fan favourite once he starts making his mark when ready at the NHL level.

The broner for OJ is definitely growing.

The second I heard "Vancouver selects from the London Knights", I was 100% sure it was Tkachuk. When i realized it was Olli instead I was sure I was hearing things wrong, however, I wasn't upset and felt like it was a really good pick. Now after letting the disappointment of Puljujarvi going to the Coilers settle in I'm really excited with this pick, and can't wait to see how Olli develops over next season. 

Now assuming he goes back to London next season since I think this will be best for his development, and the fact he'd have to perform insanely well to stay with the Canucks past camp, I was wondering what everyone is hoping to see from him points wise next year. I believe he was coming off knee surgery prior to the 15-16 season, and still managed to put up a very respectable 42 points in 57 games on a stacked Knights team, while also adjusting to the NA game. He really started to pick it up in the second half of the season putting up 14 points in 18 OHL playoff games, and 7 points in 4 Memorial Cup games. Without Marner next season I'd expect to see him get more PP1 time with London and be their #1 d-man. For me I'd like to see him get between 50-60 points and really take on a leadership role with the team. 

All in all I feel like this pick is exactly what our team needs and I hope he can become that #1 d-man we've needed for years.

Edited by BI3KSALLENT

1 hour ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

The second I heard "Vancouver selects from the London Knights", I was 100% sure it was Tkachuk. When i realized it was Olli instead I was sure I was hearing things wrong, however, I wasn't upset and felt like it was a really good pick. Now after letting the disappointment of Puljujarvi going to the Coilers settle in I'm really excited with this pick, and can't wait to see how Olli develops over next season. 

Now assuming he goes back to London next season since I think this will be best for his development, and the fact he'd have to perform insanely well to stay with the Canucks past camp, I was wondering what everyone is hoping to see from him points wise next year. I believe he was coming off knee surgery prior to the 15-16 season, and still managed to put up a very respectable 42 points in 57 games on a stacked Knights team, while also adjusting to the NA game. He really started to pick it up in the second half of the season putting up 14 points in 18 OHL playoff games, and 7 points in 4 Memorial Cup games. Without Marner next season I'd expect to see him get more PP1 time with London and be their #1 d-man. For me I'd like to see him get between 50-60 points and really take on a leadership role with the team. 

All in all I feel like this pick is exactly what our team needs and I hope he can become that #1 d-man we've needed for years.

40 points next year.. on the Canucks B)

On June 25, 2016 at 1:54 PM, theo5789 said:

I like his vision, I hope he works on his speed, but he makes up for that with his smarts. One thing I noticed in his highlight package is that there isn't even one hit which leads me to believe he's all about positioning and stick checking. It's not flashy but steady. I can see why there are comparisons to Lidstrom.

From what I have read, watched and heard OJ's speed is one of his great assets. Apparently one of the best skating Players in this draft! 

• Upvote 1

Just want to point out to you guys again that When Ekblad was drafted most scouts projecting him as a only a 
"top pairing guy" instead of the frachise dman he has become (not comparing OJ to Ekblad). So just like theres a chance he tops out as a top 4 D, there is also a chance he becomes a true number one Dman:) 

Defense is gonna be stacked if he makes the team next season. Even if he just gets the 9 games alternating in and out of the lineup we'll have waiver problems.

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Juolevi - Tryamkin

Sbisa - Larsen

Pedan - Biega

I'd like for him to get a taste of the NHL but definitely send the kid down for at least 1 more year for him to develop more.

Curious to see how the London Knights team looks with the possibility of all of Tkachuk, Dvorak and Marner moving on. If that's the case then guys like Max Jones get to step it up and this makes a more challenging situation for OJ as he now doesn't have the flashy forwards to pop in all the goals. 

Moving forward I dont want OJ rushed so one more year in junior and let him kick butt one more time at WJC and then one year in Utica. By the time he is 20, he will be much stronger and ready to bust out

9 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Curious to see how the London Knights team looks with the possibility of all of Tkachuk, Dvorak and Marner moving on. If that's the case then guys like Max Jones get to step it up and this makes a more challenging situation for OJ as he now doesn't have the flashy forwards to pop in all the goals. 

Moving forward I dont want OJ rushed so one more year in junior and let him kick butt one more time at WJC and then one year in Utica. By the time he is 20, he will be much stronger and ready to bust out

There will be an opportunity for OJ to step up with 2 (possibly 3) of their top scorers (by a wide margin) gone. I wonder if he will be given more of a green light to jump up with the rush and be more of a catalyst offensively.

Havent teally chimed in yet. 

First of all I'm neutral for the pick. Mainly because I went full desi and ripped benning a new one after last years deaft. I had a nice serving of crow this season. Although Olli may not be the sexy pick for a dman, I dont doubt that he is the top dman at the draft. His numbers dont show it but his hardware does. Few may claim that its due to the team he was on but 

Memorial cup champion (tournament  winning overtime assist)

Wjc champion

Wjc top defenseman

Along with a 3 assist game in the QF against canada. (I just watched his shift by shift in that game (24mins TOI). He is the reason finland won.

He may never sport the numbers sergachev will (not guaranteed) but OJs play makes everyone on his team better offensively.  When hes on the ice the puck is never in his end. It enters, he gets it usually with stick work, finds an open man, sends him. Advanced stats are becoming more and more popular, im personally not a fan of them, but im willing to bet his corsi numbers are through the roof. 

While I like the pick, he definitely needs to work on a few things. Personally i would like to see him more aggressive with and without the puck. I want to see a harder shot from him. And of course upping his weight closer to 200. Maybe 190-200.

I think he has a super high ceiling. Whos to say he cant be duncan keith? I dont think he reaches that level but he certainly has the ability. I think he will be OUR number one dman for years to come. I dont think he becomes a norris winner or anything like that. 

GOOSE OUT

• Upvote 1