The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Hopefully getting a rare good team game they keep everything as it is for the next game. Meaning Juolevi on the number one PP and 18+ minutes!

Yeah, nice to see Olli getting minutes and TPS balancing out the icetime among their D pairings. Riding the older vets like Tallinder (39 years old) and Heikkinen (33) on the top pairing for 25+ minutes a night didn’t seem sustainable and was probably not the best way to manage icetime down the stretch and into the playoffs.

On 15/02/2018 at 5:19 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

9741CBED-01FA-408F-BA5D-FF1793F33724.jpeg.eb89bef47d98b1cd4f4aba3aed1b65d8.jpeg

Rick Dhaliwal: The Man, The Myth, The Legend.

Here’s a good quote from a recent article and interview with the hardest working man in Vancouver sports media:

http://www.airchecker.ca/2017/10/25/interview-rick-dhaiwal-king-sports-radio-news1130-vancouver/

(I know this is the Juolevi thread and didn’t want to get too OT, but figured nobody would mind a post singing RD’s praises.)

It sounds like Jim has a go to insider

53 minutes ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

His stats are a little concerning.

Not anywhere near what we expect. 

Are you serious? Even with the current dry spell, he's still near the top of all time U20 defenseman scoring (ppg) in one of the world's top leagues. I don't understand how that is concerning in any aspect

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Stech said:

Are you serious? Even with the current dry spell, he's still near the top of all time U20 defenseman scoring (ppg) in one of the world's top leagues. I don't understand how that is concerning in any aspect

Lack of patience most people have. OJ is not even 20, I think he will be a good NHL D man, could be a Jyrki Lumme 2.0 will a tad less offensive stats.

When people see Heiskanen and his stats plus making the Olympic team the comparisons and lofty expectations are set by many. I still think OJ will be effective for us, I was all for taking Tkachuk at the time. But OJ is a Canuck now, I will support and hope he pans out well for us. 

It is good he is playing against men vs another year in Junior. Next year maybe a handful of games to start but go down to Utica wouldnt be bad either. He could win a spot outright in camp too!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think that the signing of Gudbranson is directly related to OJ's development.  They know that OJ will need some protection out there in his first year or two and Gudbranson is huge and a RHD.  Del Zotto and Gudbranson give some time for OJ and this years draft pick to develop.

Personally Id rather see Juolevi play with Stetcher or Tanev. Guddy needs someone very efficient at moving the puck out of the zone and it would be hard to put such pressure on a rookie Juolevi.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Personally Id rather see Juolevi play with Stetcher or Tanev. Guddy needs someone very efficient at moving the puck out of the zone and it would be hard to put such pressure on a rookie Juolevi.

While I agree you don’t want to put too much pressure on a rookie but those are all the aspects of Juolevi’s game that he thrives in.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think that the signing of Gudbranson is directly related to OJ's development.  They know that OJ will need some protection out there in his first year or two and Gudbranson is huge and a RHD.  Del Zotto and Gudbranson give some time for OJ and this years draft pick to develop.

I also think he will be a deterrent from guys like KASSler Martin, tkachuk.  Just look at Boston the other night.  Marchand didn’t dare do his antics because of the presence of Gudbranson.  We also need someone to prevent boeser, pettersson from being slapped around, ribs jabbed, jabs to their face , and that’s what Gudbranson brings.

31 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Does it though?

Yeah... No. There are some decent pieces there but there is little scoring and zero dynamisism.  Not going to say that's a bottom 4, but its pretty close on a good team.

Add in a legit star scoring threat like a Dahlin and its looking a whole lot better.