The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, tas said:

some have made up stories to the effect that this injury had "most likely been nagging juolevi during the season and that's why he didn't progress much this past year" which, in order to be true, would mean that the Canucks' described timeline would have to be a lie. 

Maybe, being a tough guy, OJ said nothing until recently?  I think he just said something to the effect, "it's been bothering him for a while", no? 

Just now, tas said:

some have made up stories to the effect that this injury had "most likely been nagging juolevi during the season and that's why he didn't progress much this past year" which, in order to be true, would mean that the Canucks' described timeline would have to be a lie. 

it might have been hard to distinguish from the usual strains of a hockey season and really flared up lifting weights, or something along those lines. 

He actually did progress this year as well.... so that kind of negates that theory :P

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Maybe, being a tough guy, OJ said nothing until recently?  I think he just said something to the effect, "it's been bothering him for a while", no? 

whatever the wording was, it was a theory fabricated from fantasy with no grounding in reality whatsoever. to quote one of the great minds of our time: "fake news!"

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it might have been hard to distinguish from the usual strains of a hockey season and really flared up lifting weights, or something along those lines. 

He actually did progress this year as well.... so that kind of negates that theory :P

or maybe he just hurt his back working out, like the team said. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, tas said:

whatever the wording was, it was a theory fabricated from fantasy with no grounding in reality whatsoever. to quote one of the great minds of our time: "fake news!"

Seems totally plausible to me.  Lots of guys play through what they believe to be (what they believe to be) less than an injury, but more just a nagging pain.  OJ's was the most important player in his team's playoffs, and played super awesome.  Then, during training, the nagging issue continued, so he had it checked out.  Now it's fixed, and he will be even better than at the end of the season, when he was - by all accounts - amazing. 

We are very luck to have such sure thing, top pair defense man. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seems totally plausible to me.  Lots of guys play through what they believe to be (what they believe to be) less than an injury, but more just a nagging pain.  OJ's was the most important player in his team's playoffs, and played super awesome.  Then, during training, the nagging issue continued, so he had it checked out.  Now it's fixed, and he will be even better than at the end of the season, when he was - by all accounts - amazing. 

We are very luck to have such sure thing, top pair defense man. 

sure, it's totally plausible, but there isn't a shred of evidence to suggest that's the case and the only information we have directly refutes it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

sure, it's totally plausible, but there isn't a shred of evidence to suggest that's the case and the only information we have directly refutes it. 

Didn't OJ say this has nagged him for some time though?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Didn't OJ say this has nagged him for some time though?  

if he did that would invalidate my entire argument. the only information I've seen is the canucks' release.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I didn't say they lied, I was responding to someone who said they did.

Oops, sorry bro.   Just saw the word "lie" and read it wrong.   My apologies.   Kid hurts himself in gym, gets diagnosed and club reports it....guess you agree where is the lie in that?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Oops, sorry bro.   Just saw the word "lie" and read it wrong.   My apologies.   Kid hurts himself in gym, gets diagnosed and club reports it....guess you agree where is the lie in that?

people have been creating their own narrative, "it was probably nagging him during the season" which would imply that the canucks' statement that he injured himself during training was a lie. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Depends on the nature of the procedure.   Agreed if a big one, not if a small one.  I have had two...was lucky and both were like having an orthoscope to a knee and was back on the bike in a week and on the ice in two.   However, also know a few guys that it cost a month or so.   Still not usually too major any longer.   These surgical procedures now are pretty advanced - look at shoulders, the rebuilds are often better than the original (unless we are talking baseball pitchers).

I think he will heal fine. He’s young. I just think it will delay his training for a very important summer for him. The first month and a half you (at least I didn’t) don’t usually touch the ice its all about core strength and power. The second half of the summer you focus on turning that power into speed and agility. If he’s out for anything longer than 6 weeks it’s going to really shorten his training. 

Him starting in the ahl isn’t a bad thing. In fact I think it would be really good for him. But we need his confidence to be sky high come November. A slow start due to shortened training is just another hurdle he’s going to have to overcome. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think he will heal fine. He’s young. I just think it will delay his training for a very important summer for him. The first month and a half you (at least I didn’t) don’t usually touch the ice its all about core strength and power. The second half of the summer you focus on turning that power into speed and agility. If he’s out for anything longer than 6 weeks it’s going to really shorten his training. 

Him starting in the ahl isn’t a bad thing. In fact I think it would be really good for him. But we need his confidence to be sky high come November. A slow start due to shortened training is just another hurdle he’s going to have to overcome. 

I like AHL start idea for OJ too actually.   Wow 6 weeks off for you?   I was back on ice in 2 weeks both times.   Admittedly, mine were very minor and the only reason the ice was delayed over dry land was infection risk more than anything (as you know, dressing rooms are not clean places....either are gyms but gyms are better by a wide margin).   

3 minutes ago, tas said:

people have been creating their own narrative, "it was probably nagging him during the season" which would imply that the canucks' statement that he injured himself during training was a lie. 

Who is creating a narrative?   Just speculating as to what likely happened as I have personally been there...twice in fact.   He could well have had a sore back this past season too.   I don't know.   It was never mentioned that I heard.    It happens.   Players get sore and injured all the time.   My best is EVERY single Canuck player in every league had some form of injury to end the season - something.   What were after, do you want doctor's reports on all players at a regular interval?   

I am still wondering what the team could have been "lying" about.   What a bizarre thing for someone to say.   Such a common thing for these players to have tweaks that need attention.   It is more the rare player that finishes a season with "nope, all good...feel perfect" than having some issue needing something.

Just like to clarify this injury is the EXACT same nature of injury edler suffered back in 2011 literally caused him reduced mobility and was the last year we really saw him lay those thundering hits.

Won't say it will affect OJ long term, but will say i was very vocal about wanting to trade edler after the same surgery.

Hoping to see OJ at camp completely healthy but backs are very VERY tricky things

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Who is creating a narrative?   Just speculating as to what likely happened as I have personally been there...twice in fact.   He could well have had a sore back this past season too.   I don't know.   It was never mentioned that I heard.    It happens.   Players get sore and injured all the time.   My best is EVERY single Canuck player in every league had some form of injury to end the season - something.   What were after, do you want doctor's reports on all players at a regular interval?   

I am still wondering what the team could have been "lying" about.   What a bizarre thing for someone to say.   Such a common thing for these players to have tweaks that need attention.   It is more the rare player that finishes a season with "nope, all good...feel perfect" than having some issue needing something.

we're on the same team. I don't think the team lied, either. but people stating it was likely nagging him throughout the season, when the team stated clearly the injury occurred during training, are accusing the canucks of lying, whether the accusation was deliberate or not. 

10 minutes ago, tas said:

we're on the same team. I don't think the team lied, either. but people stating it was likely nagging him throughout the season, when the team stated clearly the injury occurred during training, are accusing the canucks of lying, whether the accusation was deliberate or not. 

Some people are so bizarre.   Why can't it be both?   Kid could have had a nagging back all year (more players have things than don't) that he then tweaked while training.   God Gawd it happens all the time.   I honestly wonder sometimes if some of the people that post in this hockey forum have actually ever played hockey?  Even the beer league and house league warriors must know that they got knicks along the way - no magnify those due to the intensity and speed of the game at pro speed and strength and I am amazed at guys like the Sedins who must be about as tough as anyone who has ever worn skates.   

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just like to clarify this injury is the EXACT same injury edler suffered back in 2011 literally caused him reduced mobility and was the last year we really saw him lay those thundering hits.

Won't say it will affect OJ long term, but will say i was very vocal about wanting to trade edler after the same surgery.

Hoping to see OJ at camp completely healthy but backs are very VERY tricky things

You his doctor?   You seen his medical report.   Warhippy, with due respect saying this is the "exact same injury" is like saying you pulled your hamstring and I pulled my hamstring and therefore we both will have exact same (or similar) impacts whereas in reality I have seen a pulled hamstring pretty much derail a career and other times be nothing more than rest/ice/warm for a week and then like it never happened.   To say that it is in same part of body as Edler would be about all you can say at this stage.   

Do many of you have permission to use sharp things?   I know most of you are not Guardian negative but step away from the edge people, hockey players get hurt and they heal.   It happens.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Some people are so bizarre.   Why can't it be both?   Kid could have had a nagging back all year (more players have things than don't) that he then tweaked while training.   God Gawd it happens all the time.   I honestly wonder sometimes if some of the people that post in this hockey forum have actually ever played hockey?  Even the beer league and house league warriors must know that they got knicks along the way - no magnify those due to the intensity and speed of the game at pro speed and strength and I am amazed at guys like the Sedins who must be about as tough as anyone who has ever worn skates.   

how and when he got injured couldn't matter less to me. what bothers me is that people here refuse to accept anything canucks brass says at face value. them saying "OLLI HURT HIS BACK DURING OFFSEASON TRAINING" doesn't leave a whole lot of need or room for speculation, yet here we are. 

it's the same reason such a huge chunk of this fanbase has accused the team of being directionless since benning took over; it's because people refuse to listen to and understand the things they're being told. 

Edited by tas
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

how and when he got injured couldn't matter less to me. what bother some is that people here refuse to accept anything canucks brass says at face value. them saying "OLLI HURT HIS BACK DURING OFFSEASON TRAINING" doesn't leave a whole lot of need or room for speculation, yet here we are. 

it's the same reason such a huge chunk of this fanbase has accused the team of being directionless since benning took over; it's because people refuse to listen to and understand the things they're being told. 

I hear you - and some recycled users are back at it again (rejoins.....) and seem to think that relentless crap chat will somehow make them feel better about their pathetic existences.   I often wonder why some claim to follow a certain team when all they can do is bash all aspects of that team to the point where they accuse the team's management of lying.    Why would you follow someone you think is a liar?   Why would you be a fan of a team you didn't trust?    The concept is so bizarre.

Cheers mate.