The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

16 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Well there's the weekly bad news I've been expecting.  

InB4 Rob says the canucks aren't cursed and we should be thankful to have such an accomplished franchise

Virtanen - Big physical forward who can hit like a truck.   Hockey gods - "Here Jake have a shoulder surgery"

Boeser - Can rip the puck with the best of them.  Hockey gods - "Here Brock have a wrist surgery"

Juolevi - Poised smooth skating defenceman.  Hockey gods - "Here Olli have a back surgery"

Petterson - Swedish phenom.  Hockey gods - "We're waiting for you, Elias"

Petterson broke his finger.

Lockwood needed a second shoulder surgey.

Dahlen got a case of mono (although it didn't really hurt his season)

Lind with a concussion.

Pretty much par for the course as a Canucks fan. Lets just hope these players get these injuries out of the way early in their careers.

29 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Alex Edler had surgery in January 2011 and put up 49 points (his career best) in the following season. :) 

Yea I don't know why people think it affected him so much. He was never the best skater from the beginning. He always had an awkward skating style.

It seems to me he stopped being effective physically after his suspension. And his offensive game seemed to suffer after Salo left. Maybe he still needed some mentoring?

Either way Juolevi and Edler are much different players. Juolevi plays a much more cerebral game than Edler. His skating is also much smoother than Edler's.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Gadjovich was banged up a lot

McEneny missed most the season

Basically everyone under 24, really

I'm getting depressed and the season doesn't start for another 5 months! Posters should go back to making unrealistic projections its more fun. :) 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Too bad. That 2016 draft is one to forget. Based on everything that has transpired since.

Hope he can recover fully. 

This has likely been nagging at him for some time.  He will be a better player for having this fixed now.  We are lucky JB took the most elite Dman in that draft.  OJ will surpass the other guys drafted in 2016, because he is just ... better.  Don't worry be Happy we have OJ!!!!!

50 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Welp, he's screwed. Same surgery Edler had, and he was never the same afterwards.

Daniel Sedin had a disc surgery in 2001 and history was made after that.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This has likely been nagging at him for some time.  He will be a better player for having this fixed now.  We are lucky JB took the most elite Dman in that draft.  OJ will surpass the other guys drafted in 2016, because he is just ... better.  Don't worry be Happy we have OJ!!!!!

so the Canucks are lying? why wouldn't they have addressed it immediately after his season ended?

• Upvote 1

On 6/9/2018 at 10:11 AM, klw604 said:

It all depends where they sign

in LA. 12million is 6million take home after state taxes

In Vegas 12million is 12million !

thats why teams with higher tax brackets always will pay more !

Uh, no.   As someone who has played and payed taxes in the US there is this weird myth that zero State tax means zero tax.   Effective local and state tax in Nevada on median incomes is 7.4% and in California it is 8.8%.....Federal taxes same.   Difference is overstated (or simply misunderstood) by most.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tas said:

so the Canucks are lying? why wouldn't they have addressed it immediately after his season ended?

Surgery is always the last option for a young player like this.

Not to mention these injuries can often go unnoticed for a long time (see Cody Hodgson).

37 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Well there's the weekly bad news I've been expecting.  

InB4 Rob says the canucks aren't cursed and we should be thankful to have such an accomplished franchise

Virtanen - Big physical forward who can hit like a truck.   Hockey gods - "Here Jake have a shoulder surgery"

Boeser - Can rip the puck with the best of them.  Hockey gods - "Here Brock have a wrist surgery"

Juolevi - Poised smooth skating defenceman.  Hockey gods - "Here Olli have a back surgery"

Petterson - Swedish phenom.  Hockey gods - "We're waiting for you, Elias"

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Petterson broke his finger.

Lockwood needed a second shoulder surgey.

Dahlen got a case of mono (although it didn't really hurt his season)

Lind with a concussion.

Pretty much par for the course as a Canucks fan. Lets just hope these players get these injuries out of the way early in their careers.

Don't forget Demko had hip surgery but he looks better than ever after that.  Let's hope OJ is the same.

People equating this surgery to Edler's 'downfall',  I think Edler's struggles have more to do between the ears than his back.  The younger you are the easier it is to recover, I think we all can agree on that.  I think OJ will be fine. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Surgery is always the last option for a young player like this.

Not to mention these injuries can often go unnoticed for a long time (see Cody Hodgson).

the Canucks have been completely open in situations like that in the past. why lie this time?

2 minutes ago, tas said:

the Canucks have been completely open in situations like that in the past. why lie this time?

Did they lie or did they just wait until Juolevi made it official he was having the surgery?

Ultimately it's up to Juolevi to make the decision not the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Not what he needed at all. He’s needs big summer and this is not going to help his training. 

Depends on the nature of the procedure.   Agreed if a big one, not if a small one.  I have had two...was lucky and both were like having an orthoscope to a knee and was back on the bike in a week and on the ice in two.   However, also know a few guys that it cost a month or so.   Still not usually too major any longer.   These surgical procedures now are pretty advanced - look at shoulders, the rebuilds are often better than the original (unless we are talking baseball pitchers).

4 minutes ago, tas said:

why does there have to be a "lie"? sounds like he felt it working out this offseason, they took time to asses it and once they decided on surgery they let everyone know. Where's the lie? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Did they lie or did they just wait until Juolevi made it official he was having the surgery?

I'm having deja vu. I've had this discussion with you before, word for word. 

anyway, they stated in their announcement that ".. Juolevi began experiencing some discomfort during off-season training ..." which is a pretty clear description of the timeframe of the injury. I'm not sure why anyone would find it hard to believe that the kid hurt his lower back lifting weights in the gym. is there any easier way to hurt a back?

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

What do you mean lie?   Did the Canucks make a statement "Juolevi has no back concerns at all" at any time?   Professional hockey takes a toll.   I cannot remember a single year when pretty much every player had some thing to deal with after a season - many including some form of minor (and sometimes major) surgery.   Every team in pro hockey has this.   They don't "lie" about things by not giving the public a complete physical evaluation status for each of the 50ish professionals in their stable.   I certainly don't recall them saying anything that could be construed a "lie" but perhaps I missed that?

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What do you mean lie?   Did the Canucks make a statement "Juolevi has no back concerns at all" at any time?   Professional hockey takes a toll.   I cannot remember a single year when pretty much every player had some thing to deal with after a season - many including some form of minor (and sometimes major) surgery.   Every team in pro hockey has this.   They don't "lie" about things by not giving the public a complete physical evaluation status for each of the 50ish professionals in their stable.   I certainly don't recall them saying anything that could be construed a "lie" but perhaps I missed that?

I didn't say they lied, I was responding to someone who said they did.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why does there have to be a "lie"? sounds like he felt it working out this offseason, they took time to asses it and once they decided on surgery they let everyone know. Where's the lie? 

some have made up stories to the effect that this injury had "most likely been nagging juolevi during the season and that's why he didn't progress much this past year" which, in order to be true, would mean that the Canucks' described timeline would have to be a lie.