The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Was it a Ritz or a saltine?? 

:bigblush:

Yes, it was a cracker, but Brent Sopel is not saying if it was a Ritz or a saltine.

Sopel knows the circumstances of his back injury drew some chuckles earlier this week, but said Thursday that for him it was no laughing matter.

Sopel missed Wednesday night's series opener with Dallas after suffering back spasms at home when he bent down to pick up a cracker dropped by his daughter.

cracker.JPG

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Just like to clarify this injury is the EXACT same nature of injury edler suffered back in 2011 literally caused him reduced mobility and was the last year we really saw him lay those thundering hits.

Won't say it will affect OJ long term, but will say i was very vocal about wanting to trade edler after the same surgery.

Hoping to see OJ at camp completely healthy but backs are very VERY tricky things

Just read what I wrote...never write anything via phone.

Had meant to say exact same nature of injury.  Not exact same.

My bad.  My name is Warhippy, and I like to fearmonger :(

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just read what I wrote...never write anything via phone.

Had meant to say exact same nature of injury.  Not exact same.

My bad.  My name is Warhippy, and I like to fearmonger :(

Sometimes the mea culpa is hard.  Totally understand texting on phone, to me it's sometimes just as hard on my iPad with a larger keyboard. I have really "fat" fingers. :) 

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, no.   As someone who has played and payed taxes in the US there is this weird myth that zero State tax means zero tax.   Effective local and state tax in Nevada on median incomes is 7.4% and in California it is 8.8%.....Federal taxes same.   Difference is overstated (or simply misunderstood) by most.

From what I can see, for a single NHL player making $1M/yr, in California he would take home $544k, while in Nevada he would take home $637k. 

Edited by WeneedLumme

10 hours ago, tas said:

the Canucks have been completely open in situations like that in the past. why lie this time?

I think @DeNiro was probably closest. When he mentioned the timetable related to when the player authorised it, based on best feedback he had.  It is true you try and rehabilitate some injuries, see how they respond.

In a different world?  I was always curious the year Kesler waited till deep into the off season to have surgery with a 4 or 5 month recovery.  It was the same season AV sorta called him out? Suggested his injuries were no excuse for playoff performance.  Even then, I speculated he wanted out when it was just a rumour, not common knowledge. Then, like now, I suppose I should not speculate?

But in any case, it just goes to show how much say the player has.  

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He could well have had a sore back this past season too.   I don't know. 

:lol:. C'mon Rob, really... I like & hope for EVERY CANUCK prospect including OJ to succeed but I also like to keep it REAL to some degree.

The way YOU talked about him (OJ) & stated many times to other posters, Your exact words actually.  "have you even watched him (OJ) play"... every time someone questioned him, cause you've been scouting him since 14 & according to (pretty much only YOU) he has THIS  season "developed in leaps & bounds"...   

So if you've been watching him this closely then why didn't you EVER mention this^......(He could well have had a sore back this past season too.   I don't know.)???

Reality is OJ has been a Question mark ever since his name was picked AT #5 by this city & that's a fact...

Just listen to the sports radio shows to find that out since he was drafted. This (HOCKEY) city speaks it's voice if YOU haven't noticed...

Hanifin OR our 7th is worth more than Juolevi as much as a Canuck fan I am.

That's another fact whether YOU believe it or not & that was before his back injury...

Cheers,

True Canuck Fan.

1 hour ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Ugh... First Brock, then Pettersson, then Juolevi. Run and hide Demko, the injury bug is comin. 

Our

2015 first rounder has had 2 surgeries already 

2016 first rounder will have his surgery 

2017 first rounder just had his surgery

And it’s not even July yet,!

in other news....

our 2014 first rounder had shoulder surgery last year.

our 2014 2nd rounder had 2 surgeries.

our 2016 2nd pick Lockwood has a million surgeries.

Cursed , hoping our 2018 prospects will be more durable.

7 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/olli-juolevi-ready-canucks-camp-despite-back-surgery/

according to benning he should be training at full pace by August, which gives him 30 days, better then nothing.

Better now then never.

After following the link, I read the feedback on SN. Haven't done this in some time. One + posters had hijacked SN comments section and made it all about him/ them.

Surprise, surprise, but the same character ( Arty57 ) is still there making the comments section 'all about Arty'.

Recently our forums page was down ( along with all NHL team forums ). I went to HF. Ouch ! Talk about total crapolla. Our Rugby friend from CDC was there. His post didn't jump out like it would on CDC as it wasn't the 'most negative' by a country mile. I think that's why he likes CDC so much. His negativity draws attention on CDC. On HF, he's just another Sean the Sheep.

Kudos to the CDC moderators for keeping the Artys of the world elsewhere. Now.......let's talk about Alf.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

After following the link, I read the feedback on SN. Haven't done this in some time. One + posters had hijacked SN comments section and made it all about him/ them.

Surprise, surprise, but the same character ( Arty57 ) is still there making the comments section 'all about Arty'.

Recently our forums page was down ( along with all NHL team forums ). I went to HF. Ouch ! Talk about total crapolla. Our Rugby friend from CDC was there. His post didn't jump out like it would on CDC as it wasn't the 'most negative' by a country mile. I think that's why he likes CDC so much. His negativity draws attention on CDC. On HF, he's just another Sean the Sheep.

Kudos to the CDC moderators for keeping the Artys of the world elsewhere. Now.......let's talk about Alf.

What did the cute, furry little alien do?  :gocan:

4 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Just listen to the sports radio shows to find that out since he was drafted. This (HOCKEY) city speaks it's voice if YOU haven't noticed...

I think it's hilarious that you think that matters or means anything:lol:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Just curious....what level did you play? 

Pretty much all of them Chip.....just not the one I wanted for long enough.    Mostly Europe after CHL but enough in NA to know the ropes.    The older I get, the better I was.   :lol:

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

From what I can see, for a single NHL player making $1M/yr, in California he would take home $544k, while in Nevada he would take home $637k. 

Depends on the local taxes in each but that doesn't sound wrong.    Clearly more in Nevada but not the "double" that some imply.    

3 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Ugh... First Brock, then Pettersson, then Juolevi. Run and hide Demko, the injury bug is comin. 

News flash, hockey is a tough game.   Take a look at ANY professional hockey team and how many players play a full season and/or have a procedure or three after a season is done.   More players than not have injuries during a year of some sort and more players than not have "issues" to repair (including just giving things rest/time to heal) than players that don't.   Your team had a statistically high number of injuries the past two years (so did Anaheim for what it's worth) but those do even out over time.   

Again, professional hockey is a tough game - even the pre-professional game can be tough too as CHL kids often show.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What did the cute, furry little alien do?  :gocan:

Nothing........love your stuff ! Didn't want to pick on one of the Negative Ninjas/ tough guys/ never ending blah, blah guys. It would open an ugly can of worms that would go on forever. Really shouldn't have picked on anyone. Vain attempt at humour. Would love it if CDC had a list of banned posters.

Edited by SingleThorn
spelling
  • Like 1