The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

10 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I love Juolevi as a prospect but a lot of this is just misinformation.

Most who are London Knight fans will say that Mete was the #1 Dman on that team and played many more minutes than Juolevi.  Juolevi fans will say that because he had to babysit Bouchard but Juolevi was on the second pairing so it's not quite accurate to say he was the #1 Dman on the team

Timmonen was the #1 Dman in Liiga.  Juolevi played the most in the playoffs because Timmonen was injured.  Very impressive for Juolevi to elevate his game to be the guy but he only became the #1 guy because Timmonen got injured.

He was the #1 offensive dman in Utica but he also was leading the team and the league for having the worst +/-.  I don't think he was their number 1 defender.  Pretty sure Sautner would have been considered the #1 defender. 

With the injuries Juolevi has had and the question marks with his defending it's very reasonable for people to be hesitant about him being an NHL defender.  He has some elite abilities that should allow him to be an NHL defender but he has some big hurdles to overcome and is far from a guarantee. 

Good post. But this goes to prove that he has played a prominent role in every team he played for. #2 in London. #2 in Liiga. PP QB in AHL. Juolevi doesn't have to be our best defenceman, I think that will be Hughes anyways. Juolevi just has to play a prominent role behind Hughes. To win the cup, you need depth on defence due to all the wear and tear during the cup run. If you have fully developed Juolevi coming behind Hughes, as opposed to say, Sautner or Hutton, I think that's good depth. 

The debate of Juolevi vs Tkachuck, I think at this point, Tkachuck wins (although it's not completely over yet). No Canuck fan should feel happy about that except Tkachuk lovers who were dying to be proven right as if though it matters at all. All we need to care about is that Juolevi progresses and becomes a top 3D for our team. 

• Like 1

As much as it's true that drafting BPA is a logical mantra, at some point a GM has to address positional need. We have plenty of 3rd pairing d-men. We need top/ 2nd pairing d-men. In the Virtanen draft, only Capt. Hindsight could come up with a d-man to pick. The Boeser draft doesn't have a realistic d-choice jump out. The Juolevi draft was a point where it had to happen or be Oilers 2:0 for a long, long time. Of course the Tkachuk success has thrown shade over our pick, but realistically it had to be done. The debate really isn't/ wasn't Tkachuk or Juolevi, it was 'which d-man to draft ?' The Hughes draft is the first in JB's time that BPA and best d-man aligned naturally.

PS...........I was surprised that at least one of Lind/ Gadjovich was not a d-man pick. Don't agree with 2 forwards with our lack of d depth.

Edited by SingleThorn

9 hours ago, Kushman said:

My concerns about OJ have never been about his ability to play but rather his list of injuries (back surgery, 2 knee injuries) all before even playing a single nhl game.

If he can stay healthy, I believe he'll be a nice addition to the team, but that's a big IF... I get the feeling he's the next salo 

yes, and obviously all his injuries continue to stall development.. he's got the tools, but at the rate he gets injured he might not be a solid nhl D for a few more seasons. and when (not if) he does settle into his nhl role, will he be like Salo / Tanev, constantly fighting thru injuries? 

I think he'll eventually be a top 4 D, who knows maybe even see time on first pairing, but not necessarily someone to build the D core around.. but certainly not a bust

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2019 at 5:13 AM, Phat Fingers said:

IFDK what hill TL died on, but he was there to buffer management from the fans, media and an ownership that can get in the way.  

That's alot of reasons to leave in Van City.  What I want to know is how mutual the split was.  Did TL have enough and thought JB could handle things without him taking the heat?  

Looking forward to hearing the story when it comes out.  

Doubt it ever will, nor should it.  It's no one's business but theirs

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

OJwill be in our top four (20+minutes) by Christmas.

He’s the same level of player as Dahlin from Buffalo, but smarter defensively.  

Do you get a kick out of saying stupid $&!#? 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

The good thing about Juolevi is a lot of the work he needs to do is physical. He already has great hockey sense. Just needs to rehab, get stronger and faster and I’m sure he’ll be a top 4 for us in the next couple of years. We won’t be a decent team till then anyways so I don’t see the huge rush. 

4 minutes ago, TU90 said:

Do you get a kick out of saying stupid $&!#? 

I say what I see.  I like the Sabre's young team, so I watch a lot of their games.  Dahlin is not very good without the puck.  That's a fact.  Jack Eichel is a more complete player than McDavid.  Middlestadt should be in the AHL.  Ristolainen is a beast.  Love the guy, and want him on our team.  Dahlin has slow feet, so it's harder for him to protect against the quick guys.  

Oh ya.  This is a Canuck's fan forum, isn't it?:canucks:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

As much as it's true that drafting BPA is a logical mantra, at some point a GM has to address positional need. We have plenty of 3rd pairing d-men. We need top/ 2nd pairing d-men. In the Virtanen draft, only Capt. Hindsight could come up with a d-man to pick. The Boeser draft doesn't have a realistic d-choice jump out. The Juolevi draft was a point where it had to happen or be Oilers 2:0 for a long, long time. Of course the Tkachuk success has thrown shade over our pick, but realistically it had to be done. The debate really isn't/ wasn't Tkachuk or Juolevi, it was 'which d-man to draft ?' The Hughes draft is the first in JB's time that BPA and best d-man aligned naturally.

PS...........I was surprised that at least one of Lind/ Gadjovich was not a d-man pick. Don't agree with 2 forwards with our lack of d depth.

Tkachuk could fetch a Provorov level defenseman if he was traded right now. If we had Tkachuk (BPA), we could probably get that kind of return to address our positional need.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Tkachuk could fetch a Provorov level defenseman if he was traded right now. If we had Tkachuk (BPA), we could probably get that kind of return to address our positional need.

Hate Tkapuke, but he's exactly the type of player who you win with.  I wouldn't trade him for Provorov.  OJ, is going to be in our top four by Christmas.  He will be point on our PP too.  Guy will put up 50 plus points.  That's a really valuable player.  (I'd rather have Tkapuke though)

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hate Tkapuke, but he's exactly the type of player who you win with.  I wouldn't trade him for Provorov.  OJ, is going to be in our top four by Christmas.  He will be point on our PP too.  Guy will put up 50 plus points.  That's a really valuable player.  (I'd rather have Tkapuke though)

50+ points next season for OJ or as a career high at some point? 

Just now, Maketherightmove said:

50+ points next season for OJ or as a career high at some point? 

Not next season, but in his prime (24 - 28) like Errhoff was.  He's a super smart, skilled, and offensively gifted puck mover, who has a really good shot.  

I am not sure if OJ will be the type of Offensive D he was in juniors. Or we may not have drafted Quinn. 

I think he will be more of a reliable, smart, first-pass kind of D for us.. maybe like Tanev but with more shots through and less Defensive instincts.

I like where OJ is starting out tho. Low expectations so he has a lot less to lose (compared to Quinn) and plenty to gain. 

Wish him the best summer of his life. 

47 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

I am not sure if OJ will be the type of Offensive D he was in juniors. Or we may not have drafted Quinn. 

I think he will be more of a reliable, smart, first-pass kind of D for us.. maybe like Tanev but with more shots through and less Defensive instincts.

I like where OJ is starting out tho. Low expectations so he has a lot less to lose (compared to Quinn) and plenty to gain. 

Wish him the best summer of his life. 

In your opinion what type of dman was he in juniors ?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I say what I see.  I like the Sabre's young team, so I watch a lot of their games.  Dahlin is not very good without the puck.  That's a fact.  Jack Eichel is a more complete player than McDavid.  Middlestadt should be in the AHL.  Ristolainen is a beast.  Love the guy, and want him on our team.  Dahlin has slow feet, so it's harder for him to protect against the quick guys.  

Oh ya.  This is a Canuck's fan forum, isn't it?:canucks:

Dahlin can’t defend but Risto is a beast? Pretty sure Risto is terrible defensively and is like -130 in his career.... Dahlin can also lay people out.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Dahlin can’t defend but Risto is a beast? Pretty sure Risto is terrible defensively and is like -130 in his career.... Dahlin can also lay people out.

So does Guddy.  Slow feet.  I actually believe OJ will be a more effective player than Dahlin.  

Again, this is a Canuck's form, right? 

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Omg shut up.

OJ will be better than Dahlin.  I've watched a lot of Sabres games this season, and the kid is overrated, much like 18 year old Sam Bennet was overrated.  

Again, this is our Board, and not the Sabre's board.  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1