The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

7 hours ago, Nuckhead76 said:

I got to disagree the kid is small but has heart and skill, i for one would love to see him in Canucks uniform. 

I mean if he is patrick cane, or johnny hockey good than sure, but if he is schroeder good then no thanks. I think at this point in our organization's evolution, we can't risk a pipck on this guy if we only have 1 st rounder, I mean even 2 and I might pass on this guy.

• Upvote 1

There are a couple guys on the Swift Current Broncos that are likely to go a bit later in the draft, both of whom would be good prospects in my opinion. Heponiemi and Minulin. 

Heponiemi is a small but fast and extremely intelligent player. (projected to go around 93rd)

Minulin is a big defenceman that can put up decent numbers and play well defensively. (projected to go around 39th)

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

1 hour ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

1. Patrick
2. Liljegren
3. Mittelstadt  
4. Vilardi
5. Foote
6. Kostin
7. Tolvanen
8. Hague
9. Poehling
10. Vesalainen

Here's my top ten as of today. Hischier, Tippett, and Rasmussen could be top 10 picks as well. 

I really want mittelstadt but I bet he goes 3rd to vegasVegas

19 hours ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Anything is possible but projects more as a 2/3 because he plays a pretty simply game, nothing flashy. Obviously nothing wrong with that but doesn't have the creativity such as a Logan brown (from last years draft) who is comparable in size. 

Simple as in Mats Sundin simple ( nothing flashy, but all the fundamentals are solid) or simple like Brian Boyle simple, where he is just 'ok/just below average' at everything ?

I remember Comtois being regarded as a top 5 pick. Might not even make it in the top 15. 

Samething happened to Tyler Benson if I can recall. Was regarded as a top 10 pick a year before and then his stock dropped throughout the year but that was mainly because of an injury he sustained?

What happened to Comtois? Bad team? 

39 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Simple as in Mats Sundin simple ( nothing flashy, but all the fundamentals are solid) or simple like Brian Boyle simple, where he is just 'ok/just below average' at everything ?

Most likely somewhere in the middle of those two, closer to Boyle tho because I did hear MR just does "well" but no great quality. I heard his greatest asset is his Willingness to go to the net.  A fair comparison in my eyes is Nick Bjugstad 

16 hours ago, Odd. said:

I remember Comtois being regarded as a top 5 pick. Might not even make it in the top 15. 

Samething happened to Tyler Benson if I can recall. Was regarded as a top 10 pick a year before and then his stock dropped throughout the year but that was mainly because of an injury he sustained?

What happened to Comtois? Bad team? 

There seems to be one every year, that a consensus top 5-10 pick projected to start the season falls out. It happened with Shinkaruk, Saad, Benson and many more. Some are legitimate like Shinkaruk (who didn't have the dynamic speed or physical ability to translate to pro) but others like Saad (who was projected top 10) fell to the 2nd round but would obviously go top 10 if redrafted again.

Edited by junglesniper

On 14/11/2016 at 5:20 PM, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Poehling is really good too if Mittelstadt's gone. He's dynamic, he's fast, and he knows how to bury the puck. He'll impress a lot of people.

Mittelstadt is on a whole other level, however. 

You can tell from his highlights that this kid is special. Mittlestadt thinks the game at an elite level already, on top of having a mature frame to back up his soft hands. I think he would need 2-3 years to marinate but I would take this kid just barely behind Patrick. I wanna see Patrick have another great year before I'm sold on him.

17 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Besides Nolan Patrick, I know next to nothing about this draft class, other than the fact that it's decidedly weaker than previous drafts. Any potiential big names?

Some big names that can blossom into stars are Liljegren, Vilardi, Kostin, Middlestadt. If we don't get Patrick, I'd be happy with Liljegren or Vilardi. Both have a promising skillset that can help them develop into superstars

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Some big names that can blossom into stars are Liljegren, Vilardi, Kostin, Middlestadt. If we don't get Patrick, I'd be happy with Liljegren or Vilardi. Both have a promising skillset that can help them develop into superstars

Not to mention Hischier, who plays a lot like barzal, who we all wanted in 2015. 

Nolan Patrick or bust!

Is it just me, or does it seem really odd that with the number of years that we've had really bad teams, we've never had the first overall?

Is it also just me, or do some teams seem to have a lot of luck of having generational talents just fall into their fricken laps?

Edmonton:

Gretzky (yes, I know he wasn't drafted)

Messier

McDavid

Pittsburgh:

Lemeiux

Malkin

Crosby

Winnipeg:

Selane

Laine

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Nolan Patrick or bust!

Is it just me, or does it seem really odd that with the number of years that we've had really bad teams, we've never had the first overall?

Is it also just me, or do some teams seem to have a lot of luck of having generational talents just fall into their fricken laps?

Edmonton:

Gretzky (yes, I know he wasn't drafted)

Messier

McDavid

Pittsburgh:

Lemeiux

Malkin

Crosby

Winnipeg:

Selane

Laine

Well we have had the Sedins, who in there primes years were one of  the best offensive players in the league, same goes for Naslund.