The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

i get that granlund had a good season (19 goals with a bummed wrist), but i'd like to see these lines: 

especially if we win and get #1, I assume that Patrick is the best player to be selected first overall. 

Baertschi Horvat Boeser 

Granlund Patrick Goldobin 

Sedin Sedin Virtanen 

Molino Gaunce Shore 

Boucher - extra forward 

If we don't, and Colorado picks Patrick, then we take Hirschier and slot him in behind Bo on the second line. 

If we land 3rd overall, we still need a centreman, so I'd take Middlestadt, he's, in my opinion, the third best player behind Patrick and Hirschier. 

If we land 4th or 5th, then it's gotta be Lilegren. If we suck this upcoming season, then we are in good position to ugprade the centre position, or draft an elite prospect (Dahlin). 

I personally think Sedins have got to be given third line minutes this coming season, and see how they perform. if they continue to decline, well, that's probably their final season in the NHL, maybe transition them to front office positions and roles. If they perform and have a bounce back, maybe sign them to one year contracts and see how they do from year to year. 

Those  lines look good. Also I like the idea of offering the Sedins a position with the team when they retire. 

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I'm really glad I don't have to make this pick.  

There are so many choices, who knows what is the right one! 

Either way, JB is gonna hear it from half the fan base.  

If we are out out of the top 3, I think I'd go with Liljegrin.   The potential that kid has is incredible.   

But im hoping for Nico

if patrick is still available, and he's consensus, you go with him, no? 

i hope benning doesn't go off the board. 

in order of preference: patrick, hirschier, middlestadt, lilegren, vilardi. that's what i foresee as top five. 

colorado desperately needs defenseman. but do they pass on both patrick and hirschier for lilegren?? i don't think so, but with a "weaker" draft, you can never say never. 

Just now, kenhodgejr said:

Those  lines look good. Also I like the idea of offering the Sedins a position with the team when they retire. 

i think it's inevitable that bo and his line moves and transitions into first line players. felt like they were moving in that direction a few weeks ago, anyways. 

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, I know. He'd be a later pick, if JB would decide to trade down or acquire another top 10. Highly unlikely I suppose, but Rasmussen is a really big guy who creates havoc in front, very tough to play against and I understand he's a real character kid, takes his training very seriously. Plop him in front on the PP, lots of goals lol

rasmussen probably goes mid and late twenties in the first round. 

might be able to snag him if SJ wins the Cup and we get a late first round pick. 

could be a steal there. but not sure if any team would take him earlier (maybe mid teens, perhaps?)

I think Patrick is more of a Benning pick than Hischier, because of his ability to score on the rush from the short side. He has a quick release to go with good skating and size.  While Patrick has dealt with injury issues Hischier was a relative unknown until the past year. So, it could be said that Patrick has proven more even with his injury history. 

Still, I really like Hischier, especially the way he cuts inside with his amazing stickhandling... I might actually prefer Hischier.

Edited by NaveJoseph

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

i get that granlund had a good season (19 goals with a bummed wrist), but i'd like to see these lines: 

especially if we win and get #1, I assume that Patrick is the best player to be selected first overall. 

Baertschi Horvat Boeser 

Sedin Sedin Virtanen 

Molino Gaunce Shore 

Boucher - extra forward 

If we don't, and Colorado picks Patrick, then we take Hirschier and slot him in behind Bo on the second line. 

If we land 3rd overall, we still need a centreman, so I'd take Middlestadt, he's, in my opinion, the third best player behind Patrick and Hirschier. 

If we land 4th or 5th, then it's gotta be Lilegren. If we suck this upcoming season, then we are in good position to ugprade the centre position, or draft an elite prospect (Dahlin). 

I personally think Sedins have got to be given third line minutes this coming season, and see how they perform. if they continue to decline, well, that's probably their final season in the NHL, maybe transition them to front office positions and roles. If they perform and have a bounce back, maybe sign them to one year contracts and see how they do from year to year. 

Where's Sutter? I think having him could be more valuable than ever when bringing in a young center like Hischier or Patrick, because he provides a shutdown center or a shooting right winger who can take faceoffs, the latter of which can help shelter a rookie. 

We could try: 

Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Granlund Patrick/Hischier Goldobin
Gaunce Sutter Virtanen

Or

Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Granlund Patrick/Hischier Sutter

Virtanen Gaunce Goldobin

Just now, DontMessMe said:

Nice. What we're looking for :D 

If we're able to acquire a skilled C with our first and then use our two 2nds(assuming CBJ gives us this year's) on a right shot D and a gritty forward with size and offensive upside then I'd consider that a good first three picks.

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Baertschi Horvat Boeser 

Sedin Sedin Virtanen 

Molino Gaunce Shore 

Boucher - extra forward 

So you have something in the vicinity of $10M not even on the roster?  Ericsson and Sutter aren't making the team? That's a lot of cap wasted!

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

in order of preference: patrick, hirschier, middlestadt, lilegren, vilardi. that's what i foresee as top five. 

colorado desperately needs defenseman. but do they pass on both patrick and hirschier for lilegren?? i don't think so, but with a "weaker" draft, you can never say never. 

Like I said, if we are out of top 3, I'd go Liljegrin, but no I wouldn't pass on the top 2.  

I really like what the top 2 bring, but for me and what I want to watch, I'd like to see up pick up Hirshier.   The kid is damn exciting.  

Its not like we are we are going to win the lotto anyway tho.  

We should be thinking about pick 5

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Like I said, if we are out of top 3, I'd go Liljegrin, but no I wouldn't pass on the top 2.  

I really like what the top 2 bring, but for me and what I want to watch, I'd like to see up pick up Hirshier.   The kid is damn exciting.  

Its not like we are we are going to win the lotto anyway tho.  

We should be thinking about pick 5

Yeah no chance we win the lotto. I just hope we don't lose the lotto lol.

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

This year doesn't really have an 'on the board'.

There's Patrick and Hischier and nobody would blink if Hischier went 1st.

Then the roughly 3-10 guys could go in basically any order depending on team needs/valuation. 

Depending on where we land after the lotto, I wouldn't be surprised with anyone lol. 

Do you guys think there is any chance that management after the lottery say they don't get top 2 - they feel they need to make a trade for a top 2 center?

Have a feeling they could be toying around with the idea of a trade centered around our top pick this year and a dman ( Tanev or Hutton ) for Duchene.

It would show why they aren't willing to say the word rebuild 

18 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Craig Button has Come out with the Post-Season Mock draft earlier today, some intersting choices, but I hold his opinion highly, it just seems he's right more often than he's wrong.

He's got it like this. 

1. Nolan Patrick 

2. Nico Hischier

3. Cody Glass

4. Timothy Liljegran

5. Gabe Villardi

6. Cale Makar

7. Elias Petterson

8. Martin Necas

9. Casey Middlestadt

10. Owen Tippett

I'm good with any of the top 5 there so not gonna be sad with outcome of lotto this year - which is nice. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Do you guys think there is any chance that management after the lottery say they don't get top 2 - they feel they need to make a trade for a top 2 center?

Have a feeling they could be toying around with the idea of a trade centered around our top pick this year and a dman ( Tanev or Hutton ) for Duchene.

It would show why they aren't willing to say the word rebuild 

Hell no, Duchene five years ago maybe, but he doesn't fit our timeline now.

21 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Hell no, Duchene five years ago maybe, but he doesn't fit our timeline now.

I'm not saying he does - I'm saying I'm scared it is something our management would do and could be thinking about tho