The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

JB has to look at the team he wants to build to compete. We are not going to get that player that can equal a McJesus. We can get players that can possible contain him.  There is more than one way to win. Demko is going to be a huge piece of the future puzzle and we may become the westcoast NJ devils who one 2-3 cups while beating out the likes of Lemieux and others. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Drool.... If he is going tone this good, deal me in... wanted him originally.

Not only could he be the missing link, but also massively valuable for future trades.

Keep building on the backend. 

However still think JB will take a centre with size...

Don't think there is a problem

going either way. Good defenders can be traded for good centres, take the BPA if they are a Center or a Defender. Wingers got to be a step down this year unless there is a Laine out there, which there isn't. 

Team need and how does JB want to match up with the Oilers and other western teams could play a role if there are equal talents to choose from. 

The Lottery can't come soon enough. 

EW

Anyone watching the u18 tourny in slovakia? #7 on team USA looks like a handful lol. Guess who, it's Brady Tkachuk. Had a slick toe drag inside a la Bo, but was stopped, has cross checked people and lined up open ice hits too. Not eligible till next year, but looks to be a better skater than his brother.

If anyone is in Slovakia and might go to some games let me know also. Thinking of going...

3 hours ago, Boeser6 said:

Agree with your logic but balance that with the need to also bring players along and start winning as well - you need some 'solid ground' else you end up like Edmonton. While Tanev is a vet he is only 26- he has 8-10 years left in him so I don't think you can throw him in the same bucket as Doan etc. He clearly can be part of a long term solution

I don't think tanev is too old for their core and much like the canucks have done - Arizona really needs to bring in some transitional pieces in that 22-27 range - to help young players. Tanev fits that bill

I am not saying they WILL do it, but as Arizona, you'd have to consider it given how much youth you have, your lack of depth and experience on D and the fact you can only sell the future for so long without busting players- not to mention you need to start winning games to keep your fans. How many years have they been mired in this nonsense of bottom feeders? 

Tanev is not 'selling the future' for now, he can play a valuable role for them now and the future - that's where we disagree I think

Nothing's guaranteed but I tend to agree. Pretty soon they're going to start wasting prime and ELC years of some of their better prospects. They need to start making hay these next couple years and that could very well include a solid, 'young veteran', defensive D currently in his prime.

If we could come out of this draft with one of the top 4 C's AND Lilj/Makar....:wub:

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

going either way. Good defenders can be traded for good centres, take the BPA if they are a Center or a Defender. Wingers got to be a step down this year unless there is a Laine out there, which there isn't. 

Team need and how does JB want to match up with the Oilers and other western teams could play a role if there are equal talents to choose from. 

EW

It'll be a Center or a defender this year, definitely.

I think JB may be under a bit of pressure with the poor standings, sacking of WD, and thus will take a center, who for him hopefully can start right away, or at worst next year. If for nothing else to sell hope...

Time will tell, and yes the lottery is an additional birthday present...good or bad...

And the draft a second Xmas...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Derp... said:

Anyone watching the u18 tourny in slovakia? #7 on team USA looks like a handful lol. Guess who, it's Brady Tkachuk. Had a slick toe drag inside a la Bo, but was stopped, has cross checked people and lined up open ice hits too. Not eligible till next year, but looks to be a better skater than his brother.

If anyone is in Slovakia and might go to some games let me know also. Thinking of going...

Is it streamed?

12 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

What pick do you think Foote will go though? I don't think he will last that long. 8th or 9th? 

I can see Foote being picked up by Florida, LA, Winnipeg or Philli.

Winnipeg almost makes the most sense because than they can ship out Byfuglien or Myers or Trouba without hesitation within a season

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

EW

Agree it cant come soooon enough!!

Curious - why do you sign out your posts with EW. Every post already has our display names and avatar and some signatures. Why add EW? I find myself saying EW like Jimmy Fallon every post of yours I see :lol:

Maybe if you just enjoy adding the letters at the bottom maybe throw in the m for meets. EmW

Don't know why its bothered me not intended to be rude!

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

It'll be a Center or a defender this year, definitely.

I think JB may be under a bit of pressure with the poor standings, sacking of WD, and thus will take a center, who for him hopefully can start right away, or at worst next year. If for nothing else to sell hope...

Time will tell, and yes the lottery is an additional birthday present...good or bad...

And the draft a second Xmas...

To me this draft is about 3 players with 3 others that are close, but have a weaker body of work.  Nolan, Nico and Tim are the guys JB has to be looking at.  Theoretically we should get one of these guys.  Nolan has the best pedigree and was absolutely dominant in his pre draft year, big offensive center who can play rough, make awesome passes and score goals.  The best skill guy this draft, prodigy of an NHL family.  If healthy, there would be no debate, Nolan would be number one.  But he Struggled with injuries and just had an article questioning his attitude.  A questionable article that barely qualifies as journalism.  

Nico has been the best player in the snapshot of this year.  He is going to be a really good player and if he hadn't faded down the stretch I would be considering him before Nolan.  Did he run out of gas, or did teams adjust and he started to get shut down? 

Then there is Liljegren.  Hands down the best d man in the draft pre mono.  So, mono is a one hell of a disease, and he had it bad.  Recovery is usually never an issue and he was pretty dominant prior.  I don't think he declined at all, just wasn't able to catch up physically this season because he lost so much in the first half, including off season.  He is being undersold this draft, IMO.  

Necas, Mittlestad and Vlardi are all just a step below, Vlardi is a sure thing, but could only top out as middle six center, whether he is Bo 2.0 or not remains to be seen.  Necas is a wild card as it is really hard to quantify his abilities against other players, Mittlestad is in a similar situation for a potential top 5 pick.  There have been good players from their leagues, but most get taken outside of the top ten.

Honourable mention, Makar is another such player, how can anyone compare his skill set while playing Ina lower league.  It worked for Jost, but it's a big gamble.   There are wingers on the block, but team need will exclude them.  

If if we land in the top three, take one of the three best skilled players available. Nolan, Nico or Tim.  We could use all of them really ( quick trade proposal for picks 1-3... ;) ) They may not end up being the best of the class in ten years, but they represent the best odds IMO.  

EmW

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Agree it cant come soooon enough!!

Curious - why do you sign out your posts with EW. Every post already has our display names and avatar and some signatures. Why add EW? I find myself saying EW like Jimmy Fallon every post of yours I see :lol:

Maybe if you just enjoy adding the letters at the bottom maybe throw in the m for meets. EmW

Don't know why its bothered me not intended to be rude!

EmW works, thanks!

12 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

If we win the lotto and get Patrick , I don't see why he can't start on our 4th line. Gaunce can always play wing. Labate Patrick and Gaunce might be a decent 4th line. 

I stand by my argument.

Why do we want him to start on the team at all?  We're not going to be competitive.  At best a bubble team outside of the playoffs.  At worst we slot him in he does good, management/ownership see that as a sign and gear up for a playoff run.  At worst because we're nowhere near ready for that.  

My worry with Patrick is slotting a guy with back to back significant injuries in to a mans league against the Getzlafs, Lucic's etc after so soon could hamper him.  Allowing him to spend 1 or 2 more seasons in either the WHL/Europe and then AHL would not, repeat not be detrimental to him at all, nor would it be bad for this team that still needs at minimum another draft or two to get the proper in organizational depth needed to start competing and making viable trades again.

While management and ownership would no doubt want a ticket seller like Patrick here, it does the team little to no good IMO to rush him or Hischier in to the NHL and almost stinks of desperation.  We don't need to rush them in, we're already center heavy, we're getting crowded on the wings.  give it a season or two before making the rush.

My best example for this is Burnaby Joe.  Drafted by the Nordiques, they refused to allow him to play in the league because they said he wasn't physically ready he was pissed, went back to the CHL and absolutely tore it a new one and came in motivated.  In his own words, while he was against it; it was probably the best decision made for his long term career health

It's my opinion only that we don't need to rush anyone in this years draft in to the league, in the event of Hischier/Liljegren.  Directly to the AHL.  In the event of Mittlestadt, college.  Patrick or Vilardi, convince them to go to Europe for a season or two; for Patrick to see him playing against men not kids in a lower contact league, for Vilardi to work on his skating on a bigger ice surface.

Again my opinion only.

8 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/mock-draft/

NHL 2017 Mock Draft

Here is our 2017 NHL mock draft. Team needs are loosely taken into consideration.

The draft order is based on the final regular season standings on April 10th.Sportsnet.

We've updated added stats and videos, and new profiles from multiple outlets for all players in our first round mock.

According to NHL.com, "Las Vegas will be inserted into the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery with the same odds as the team that finishes with the third fewest points in the 2016-17 season. It will be guaranteed to have no lower than the No. 6 pick in the 2017 NHL Draft and will own the third pick in each subsequent round."

Mock draft updated April 10th

Colorado.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/172 lbs
Position:C/RW
Team: Halifax (QMJHL)

Vancouver08.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/200 lbs
Position:C
Team: Brandon (WHL)

Las-Vegas-2017.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/201 lbs
Team: Windsor (OHL)

Arizona.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/190 lbs
Position:RHD
Team: Rogle Jr20 (SWE)

New%20Jersey.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/201 lbs
Team: Eden Prairie HS (MN)

Buffalo-10-pres.gif
Ht/Wt:5'10"/176 lbs
Team: Brooks (AJHL)

Detroit.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/200 lbs
Position:RW
Team: Mississauga (OHL)

Dallas-13-pres.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/200 lbs
Position:LHD
Team: Tri City (WHL)

Florida-2016-17.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/167 lbs
Team: Brno (CZE)

Los-Angeles-11-pres.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 5"/205 lbs
Team: Tri City (WHL)

Carolina.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/180 lbs
Team: Portland (WHL)

Winnipeg-11-pres.gif
Ht/Wt:5'10"/175 lbs
Position:LW/RW
Team: Sioux City (USHL)

Philadelphia.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/160 lbs
Team: Timra IK (SWE)

Tampa-11-pres.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/198 lbs
Team: Kelowna (WHL)

NY%20Islanders.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/175 lbs
Team: St. Cloud St. (NCHC)

Be me:  Be Benning, calls Yzerman.  We want that pick

be Yzerman:  Whatcha gimme for it

be me Benning:  We gives you Edlerz

Be Yzerman:  Edlerz huh, I has a BC roll order and a bento box?

Be me Benning:  Yes for da firstzzzz

Vancouver canucks proudly drive Edler to the airport and select Callan Foote!

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

To me this draft is about 3 players with 3 others that are close, but have a weaker body of work.  Nolan, Nico and Tim are the guys JB has to looking at.  Theoretically we should get one of these guys.  Nolan has the best pedigree and was absolutely dominant in his pre draft year, big offensive center who can play rough, make awesome passes and score goals.  The best skill guy this draft, prodigy of an NHL family.  If healthy, there would be no debate, Nolan would be number one.  But he Struggled with injuries and just had an article questioning his attitude.  A questionable article that barely qualifies as journalism.  

Nico has been the best player in the snapshot of this year.  He is going to be a really good player and if he hadn't faded down the stretch I would be considering him before Nolan.  Did he run out of gas, or did teams adjust and he started to get shut down? 

Then there is Liljegren.  Hands down the best d man in the draft pre mono.  So, mono is a one hell of a disease, and he had it bad.  Recovery is usually never an issue and he was pretty dominant prior.  I don't think he declined at all, just wasn't able to catch up physically this season because he lost so much in the first half, including off season.  He is being undersold this draft, IMO.  

Necas, Mittlestad and Vlardi are all just a step below, Vlardi is a sure thing, but could only top out as middle six center, whether he is Bo 2.0 or not remains to be seen.  Necas is a wild card as it is really hard to quantify his abilities against other players, Mittlestad is in a similar situation for a potential top 5 pick.  There have been good players from their leagues, but most get taken outside of the top ten.

Honourable mention, Makar is another such player, how can anyone compare his skill set while playing Ina lower league.  It worked for Jost, but big gamble.   There are wingers on the block, but team need will exclude them.  

If if we land in the top three, take one of the three best skilled players available. Nolan, Nico or Tim.  We could use all of them really ( quick trade proposal for picks 1-3... ;) ) They may not end up being the best of the class in ten years, but they represent the best odds IMO.  

EW

100%.... Well said Cheers.

6 hours ago, shiznak said:

Arizona still needs a lot of work to do in their rebuild. They are already phasing out the vets (Stone, Hanzel, maybe Doan), and starting to inject their youth in the lineup. So, they certainly won't be trading their first round pick, a guarantee top 8 pick, for a defensemen in his prime years, who might I add is often injured. You also need to realize, by the time Arizona is ready to compete for the playoffs, Tanev will be well past his prime. It would be a complete waste if they trade for Tanev.

If Tanev were to be traded, I could see him fetching us a first round pick in the mid-teens, not a top 10 pick. Despite how "weak" the draft is.

Tanev just turned 27

OEL will be 26 in a few months

;)

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

A top-pairing RHS dman in his prime is worth significantly more than a mid-first draft pick.

Yeah, he's worth +++ more than a lot of fans think.  Other than Dallas, the top 10 draft pick teams are rebuilding, so would probably not want to trade picks/prospect.  Tanev would be a huge addition to a bubble team or struggling contender that desperately needs shot suppression.

Adam Larrson is very similar player, although 3yrs younger.  Tanev gets equal or slightly less return in a trade.

The big ? is when.  Draft day or trade deadline?  Which gets the best return?

7 hours ago, Derp... said:

as such he will be closer to his ceiling than other players at an earlier age.

Patrick
Necas

Hischier

Middlestadt

Pettersson

Vilardi

Yes maybe true but should you not draft a player looking at the big picture, his career not who makes it to the NHL 1st?

Maybe Necas makes it to the NHL a year or even 2 before Nico like you say,  I'm still taking Nico Hirschier any day.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Nothing's guaranteed but I tend to agree. Pretty soon they're going to start wasting prime and ELC years of some of their better prospects. They need to start making hay these next couple years and that could very well include a solid, 'young veteran', defensive D currently in his prime.

If we could come out of this draft with one of the top 4 C's AND Lilj/Makar....:wub:

the teams that have gone with a near total youth movement are kind of up against a time crunch in the same way.  If they don't win in 4-5 years, they will ave to start taking apart their core when they hit UFA status.   

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

the teams that have gone with a near total youth movement are kind of up against a time crunch in the same way.  If they don't win in 4-5 years, they will ave to start taking apart their core when they hit UFA status.   

I think you're agreeing with me...?