The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Vesalainen is a monster wow

And ZOMG look at that

Cale Makar...that kid who is too small and plays in a subpar league.  almost 6 feet now and 187 pounds.  That says still room to grow

Also still liking popagayev in the 2nd if he's still there, skilled and a decent size

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Heiskanen up to 6'2" now (from 6'0" at his last official measurements). Still only 172lbs but that growth spurt has put him smack dab into "projectable frame" territory for an NHL D.

One should note that their heights were exaggerated for first group as they had their shoes on for whatever reason as noted below their measurements.

Their heights are closer to 6'3" for Vesalainen and 6'0" for Heiskanen.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Mittelstadt is highly skilled, but the Canucks have a few highly skilled lightweights already (Goldobin, Baertschi, Molino, Dahlen, Lockwood). Maybe Mittelstadt isn't considered a lightweight at 200 lbs., but he may play like one.   

Scary if he's 200lbs and can't do one pullup and can only do one bench press. He is certainly overweight in many areas if this is the case. Unless his lower body strength is off the charts. How were the rest of his stats? 

1 hour ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Yikes!  I wasn't a professional athlete and I could do 20 pullups in a row at age 18.  Why can't this guy or Sam Bennett even do one?  Do they have weights on their ankles?  My love for Casey is dwindling. 

Torn labrum for Bennett. Mittelstadt obviously has an injury issue as well.

No issue there.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

One should note that their heights were exaggerated for first group as they had their shoes on for whatever reason as noted below their measurements.

Their heights are closer to 6'3" for Vesalainen and 6'0" for Heiskanen.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

but Vesailainen is 210 pounds that is pretty crazy. I wonder what his body fat percentage is like. I thought he was closer to 190. 

15 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Scary if he's 200lbs and can't do one pullup and can only do one bench press. He is certainly overweight in many areas if this is the case. Unless his lower body strength is off the charts. How were the rest of his stats? 

He must have most of his weight in his legs...Looking at his highlight reels,he certainly doesn't look slow...Horvat was chubby-ish when he was drafted as well..

Conversely,you have Ellias Petterssen at 6'1,160lbs....Will he ever gain enough weight to be effective?

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

He must have most of his weight in his legs...Looking at his highlight reels,he certainly doesn't look slow...Horvat was chubby-ish when he was drafted as well..

Conversely,you have Ellias Petterssen at 6'1,160lbs....Will he ever gain enough weight to be effective?

Pettersson could probably do a bazillion pull ups at that weight. 6'1.75 and already plays against men. Would take time for him to garner strength.

Mittelstadt must be lower body strong since he is a pretty good skater.

5 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

He must, because 200lbs is a lot without any upper body strength. Crazy how opposite players can be. I wish someone could do some comparisons from previous combines to see how the relation turned out in hindsight. 

This draft might be regarded as shallow, but there's some players that are wildly intriguing in the first 3 rounds that look like they could project well as NHL players in the future

Also, let's go get Norris.  That way when we win the cup we'll have a Norris cup winner for once

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

He must, because 200lbs is a lot without any upper body strength. Crazy how opposite players can be. I wish someone could do some comparisons from previous combines to see how the relation turned out in hindsight. 

William Nylander owned VO2 Max / Wingate results.  It was where he demonstrated he wasn't just a skinny kid anyway.

A simple summary is aerobic endurance & ability to produce power while going absolutely full tilt.   

Nothing to worry about with Mittelstadt test numbers. Any good trainer could have him doing Pull-ups in the top range of the NHL combine by the start of next year. A good trainer would also improve his bench to respectable(although the bench is not the best test of upper body power and athletic carryover). 

• Upvote 1

I noticed that Scott Reedy was in the top 10 for majority of the fitness testing.

He would be my candidate for our 55th overall pick in the second round if he is still around there.

Scouting Report http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2017-nhl-draft-headquarters/2017-draft-profiles/2017-nhl-draft-profile-cw-scott-reedy/

Thick and aggressive bulldozer that plays an in-your-face style but fools you into forgetting just how gifted a playmaker he is. Reedy is a natural center, but his place on the NTDP’s top-line flank reveals a strong net presence and finishing abilities from the hash marks down. Reedy is a good skater who uses both patience and precision to enter a zone. One of his notable abilities is they way he can stickhandle and maintain control the puck regardless of whether he’s moving or static. The kid is blessed with many physical attributes, but his overall understanding of the game is done at a mature level. He’s headed to the University of Minnesota, but his size/smarts combo will put him in the NHL sooner than one would think.

Skating http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com/2017/05/18/scott-reedy-scouting-report/

Reedy is a very good skater overall. While he isn’t a speedster, his top speed is good and he gets to it quickly with very good acceleration. He also has quick feet, giving him a great first step. Reedy can get in quickly on the forecheck, as well as beat defenders to the outside in one-on-one situations. However, it is in his edge work that Reedy really shines. His agility is off the chart. Reedy makes quick cuts when skating through the zone, as he can change direction on a dime to beat a defender. He is also strong on the puck and has excellent balance. Reedy can fight through checks, hooks and holds and still drive to the net.

Offensive Game

Scott Reedy’s stick handling ability matches well with his skating. He controls the puck extremely well, especially when moving at top speed, or when making the quick cuts talked about above. He can make very creative plays to get by a defender. Once he does get by a defender, he cuts hard to the net, and uses his soft hands to finish in close. A pure goal scorer, he has a very good wrist shot and release as well. If defenders back off to far when defending Reedy off the rush, he can use the defender as a screen and fire the puck on net.

Reedy is also able to succeed as a play maker. His agility and edgework allows him to open up passing lanes, and get the puck through to teammates. He also creates offense by controlling the puck down low, and waiting for an opportunity. Reedy sometimes makes poor decisions though, and he needs to get more consistent in reading the play and making the smart pass. He can also create offence via hard work. Reedy gets in quickly on the forecheck causing turnovers and creating offense in that way as well.

Defensive Game

Reedy needs to continue to work on his defensive game. His positioning could use some work. He also needs to work on avoiding becoming overly focused on the puck, and leaving his man open as a result. Reedy works hard in his own end though. His effort level is not in question.

Projection and Comparison

Scott Reedy could become a top six forward if he continues to develop. His versatility is an asset, but in the end it is more likely that he ends up on the wing than at centre, due to the defensive issues, and inconsistency in making smart plays with the puck. There is real potential here though if a team can get Reedy to reach his ceiling. In terms of style, his game is reminiscent of Artem Anisimov. However, this is a style comparision only and not a talent based one.