The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Just now, J.R. said:

I think you're agreeing with me...? 

I would agree with the agreement.  I firmly believe you have to have a roster with players at a variety of stages in their careers so that you have contracts expiring on older players as younger players mature and need raises.  I think the Leafs are in some trouble that way, personally.

Just now, stawns said:

I would agree with the agreement.  I firmly believe you have to have a roster with players at a variety of stages in their careers so that you have contracts expiring on older players as younger players mature and need raises.  I think the Leafs are in some trouble that way, personally.

Honestly Tanev to ARZ (other than sucking that we'll have to play against him) makes a hell of a lot sense IMO. He'd solidify that D and help shelter the very good prospects they have now/soon and is in his prime the next 4'ish years where they need to make something happen or rebuild again.

They'd also have zero issue protecting him for the ED.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Honestly Tanev to ARZ (other than sucking that we'll have to play against him) makes a hell of a lot sense IMO. He'd solidify that D and help shelter the very good prospects they have now/soon and is in his prime the next 4'ish years where they need to make something happen or rebuild again.

They'd also have zero issue protecting him for the ED.

I've always been an advocate for moving Tanev........I'm not sure they'd be willing to move a necessary piece to make it work though.  I know you want Domi and I just don't see that happening.  I think Duclair is the guy they would offer

Just now, stawns said:

I've always been an advocate for moving Tanev........I'm not sure they'd be willing to move a necessary piece to make it work though.  I know you want Domi and I just don't see that happening.  I think Duclair is the guy they would offer

If they end up with a 3-7 pick I'd think long and hard on that (plus say a 3rd +/- depending on where they land after the lotto). 

I'd be game for something along those lines and come out of this draft  with one of the top C's AND D's ++ some later round lotto tickets.

Just now, J.R. said:

If they end up with a 3-7 pick I'd think long and hard on that (plus say a 3rd +/- depending on where they land after the lotto). 

I'd be game for something along those lines and come out of this draft  with one of the top C's AND D's ++ some later round lotto tickets.

Duclair and 2017 1st round pick?

Pffft later Tan Man

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Pffft later Tan Man

I would hope for both, but settle for either.  Tanev is a very good defensive d-man, but getting both those assets for him, might be difficult.  If you had to choose either one or the other (Duclair or pick 3-7) for Tanev, which would you prefer?

Just now, Warhippy said:

Pffft later Tan Man

You think they'd dump him already as well as the 1st? I know he's struggled a bit but doubt they'd do both...

Man we'd have a lot of similar'ish wingers :lol:

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I can't see a guy who bases all decision on analytics giving up a #10 pick

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I can't see a guy who bases all decision on analytics giving up a #10 pick

Who knows really, I'm not in his head, just spit balling what I'd do if I was running ARZ. Tanev IS an analytics darling though, so maybe he would? ;)

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I stand by my argument.

Why do we want him to start on the team at all?  We're not going to be competitive.  At best a bubble team outside of the playoffs.  At worst we slot him in he does good, management/ownership see that as a sign and gear up for a playoff run.  At worst because we're nowhere near ready for that.  

My worry with Patrick is slotting a guy with back to back significant injuries in to a mans league against the Getzlafs, Lucic's etc after so soon could hamper him.  Allowing him to spend 1 or 2 more seasons in either the WHL/Europe and then AHL would not, repeat not be detrimental to him at all, nor would it be bad for this team that still needs at minimum another draft or two to get the proper in organizational depth needed to start competing and making viable trades again.

While management and ownership would no doubt want a ticket seller like Patrick here, it does the team little to no good IMO to rush him or Hischier in to the NHL and almost stinks of desperation.  We don't need to rush them in, we're already center heavy, we're getting crowded on the wings.  give it a season or two before making the rush.

My best example for this is Burnaby Joe.  Drafted by the Nordiques, they refused to allow him to play in the league because they said he wasn't physically ready he was pissed, went back to the CHL and absolutely tore it a new one and came in motivated.  In his own words, while he was against it; it was probably the best decision made for his long term career health

It's my opinion only that we don't need to rush anyone in this years draft in to the league, in the event of Hischier/Liljegren.  Directly to the AHL.  In the event of Mittlestadt, college.  Patrick or Vilardi, convince them to go to Europe for a season or two; for Patrick to see him playing against men not kids in a lower contact league, for Vilardi to work on his skating on a bigger ice surface.

Again my opinion only.

It worked with Jovo in Florida.  He was a supremely motivated player in his first year after his draft.  Rushing a prospect is what the oilers did.  I agree if a prospect isn't physically ready, don't bring them in, regardless of draft position.  

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Who knows really, I'm not in his head, just spit balling what I'd do if I was running ARZ. Tanev IS an analytics darling though, so maybe he would? ;)

That's true........I love tanev, but he's the only guy who will bring back anything good

Just now, stawns said:

That's true........I love tanev, but he's the only guy who will bring back anything good

I'd bet Edler could get us one of NYI/TBL 1sts + a B prospect or later pick.

Hutton + Baer could get us a nice upgrade at forward.

13 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It worked with Jovo in Florida.  He was a supremely motivated player in his first year after his draft.  Rushing a prospect is what the oilers did.  I agree if a prospect isn't physically ready, don't bring them in, regardless of draft position.  

It isn't so much regarding NP that he isn't physically ready so much as I'd be far more inclined to allow him a season in a league that is known as a lower contact more skilled league than a bruising crushing league.  facing Lucic/Kassian?maroon 5 times a year, then Getzlaf Kesler Ritchie, then Thornton etc etc etc etc.  It's a big bad division to play in and I would worry about reaggravating pre existing injuries after possibly not enough recovery time.

Edited by Warhippy

April 29 can't get here fast enough, feeling very impatient and anxious about where the Canucks are picking. Will the Hockey Gods finally be on our side?

From what I've read and heard, the Canucks will not be trading Tanev. Edler needs to go though.

If SJ wins the Cup and CBJ gives us their 2nd, the Canucks are going tom have 4 picks in the first two rounds. That would be a nice change.

7 hours ago, Boeser6 said:

Agree with your logic but balance that with the need to also bring players along and start winning as well - you need some 'solid ground' else you end up like Edmonton. While Tanev is a vet he is only 26- he has 8-10 years left in him so I don't think you can throw him in the same bucket as Doan etc. He clearly can be part of a long term solution

I don't think tanev is too old for their core and much like the canucks have done - Arizona really needs to bring in some transitional pieces in that 22-27 range - to help young players. Tanev fits that bill

I am not saying they WILL do it, but as Arizona, you'd have to consider it given how much youth you have, your lack of depth and experience on D and the fact you can only sell the future for so long without busting players- not to mention you need to start winning games to keep your fans. How many years have they been mired in this nonsense of bottom feeders? 

Tanev is not 'selling the future' for now, he can play a valuable role for them now and the future - that's where we disagree I think

They have Goligolski and Murphy (maybe Schenn as well), who can be their "transitional" pieces on the right side. They don't have a need for Tanev. If they were to bring someone in with their top 8 pick. It would be someone who brings more to the table then just great defensive work or maybe they could trade their pick to fix their biggest problem, and that is goaltending depth. 

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

A top-pairing RHS dman in his prime is worth significantly more than a mid-first draft pick.

More as in, more picks and/or a prospect. Not a top 8 pick.

Given Arizona is in the same position as us. Would you be willing to give up our pick for a guy like Travis Hamonic?

7 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

So with the addition of the non American list it's looking like players listed from 24-30 may be available with our second Rd pick 

also prob any player on the non American list rated after 8th? 

Anybody have any favorited or suggestions who could be a steal with our 2nd pick ?

I would love to add a solid LW prospect in Maxime Comtois.  Would round out a good 3rd line with Virtanen