The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Liliegren looked really good in yesterday's game. A couple bad penalties but when he touches the puck he was dangerous. A very offensive minded D. He was easily the best player on the ice yesterday, except for maybe that 5'3" kid Dhooghe on the US team. 

That's good to hear, at least for me. I liked Liljegren before but this tournament was scaring me. Do you think he's played well enough to be back in the top-5 conversation? Or he's shown why we should pick him up at 3-5?

11 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Was just watching Cale Makar's 2016/2017 highlights. This kid would change our team. Tyramkin's loss hurt. If we don't draft a potential #1 D man we never will be able to trade for one. This guy has elite offensive skill. Mitch Marner like. If we trade Tanev for a mid first say 15 we might be able to draft Nicolas Hague. This would set up our D core moving forward and provide us with a flashy Norris potential player. Juolevi is smart enough to work well with Makar and be his defensive rock when he makes rushes.  Hague has the mean "Pronger" edge we were looking for in Tyramkin. He has a bomb of a shot. Could be a Chara like player and a steel at 15. Hague would help with team toughness and keep other players honest around Makar. Maker has the making of a superstar! Next year we target a top 6 center like Jack Wise. 

Granlund Horvat Boesser 

Goldobin Dahlen Virtanen

Beartchi Gaudette Boucher 

McEwan McKenzie Lockwood

Juolevi Makar

Hague Stetcher

Brisebois Subban  

Demko 

Markstrom

Wow! that is one soft lineup. I would hate to see how beat up that team would be if it were actually able to make through 82 games

1 hour ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Remember if the Avalanche gets a pick, and we don't, we still get 4th and not the dreaded 5th lol, that's the way I look at it.  Hopefully the Avs pick Liljegren giving us more options to choose from.  Not a glass empty kind of guy but I know vancouvers luck in the draft.

Honestly in this draft I'm fine with picking 5th. I'm not entirely sold on the top players. Hischier looks like the real deal, Patrick has injury issues, Vilardi is slow. Wouldn't mind grabbing Mittlestadt even glass at 5th.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Honestly in this draft I'm fine with picking 5th. I'm not entirely sold on the top players. Hischier looks like the real deal, Patrick has injury issues, Vilardi is slow. Wouldn't mind grabbing Mittlestadt even glass at 5th.

Its certainly an interesting situation. Usually everyone is pretty onboard with where the majority of players will go. 3-15 this year could go in any possible combination. 

The reason its interesting is that because the players are so interchangeable, scouting will be even more crucial. To pick out the one gem out of a group of 10-15 players that are of similar pedigree. 

Edited by DeltaSwede

44 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

That's good to hear, at least for me. I liked Liljegren before but this tournament was scaring me. Do you think he's played well enough to be back in the top-5 conversation? Or he's shown why we should pick him up at 3-5?

It's hard to compare based off one game but he was really dominate...Still looked like he was fighting a bit of confidence issues (he has a couple end to end rushed where he just fanned on the puck at the end) but he was really showing off his skill in the game.  Very smooth skater, very good hands and even played with a bit of a physical edge.  He'd still be a few years away from making the NHL but he looked like he has the tools to be a top pairing D, if he can put everything together.  

1 minute ago, playboi19 said:

Teams do stupid things sometimes, like Boston who passed on Boeser 3 times.

Or Kyle Connor.

Veselainen is playing this tournament as if he's a 30 year old playing against teens. Veselainen's been playing in the SHL since last year as a 16 year old playing against men. It's evident he's at least a notch or two above most, if not all players playing currently hence why he's leading in points. Size, speed, skill. His stock went down considerably after a poor WJC showing but to be fair, Finland as a whole were so $&!# they fired their coach mid way and were on the brink of relegation. 

I'm praying he falls to 33rd. I doubt it anymore.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

The 2nd round pick is going to be a good one, we are sitting in a fantastic spot

The first round ends and Benning will know exactly which players are left and have a full night to figure out who he wants. 

We will be picking 2nd in the second Rd so he has to basically narrow it down to two players that he wants to choose with lots of time to make the best decision 

definitely a great position to be in 

Yup, I think it was the Director of Central Scouting who this week said that after the first 9 or so there is a next tier 20-25 deep, which translates to 30-35 overall.  With fallers always happening and some teams reaching to draft some early, we're in a great spot to grab another top player at 33.  Columbus' pick is 20-some beyond that, but then we'll have our 3rd within about 10 or so shortly after.

Bettman must be very happy he's bringing NHL to Sin City. I know they give us the "odds", but I wonder what the real chances are that Vegas gets 1st overall? Y'know, I'm sure Bettman wants to give them as much advantage as possible to succeed in that market. What better way than to kick off the team's inaugural roster with a #1 pick to build around?

IMO, I think Canucks pick 4-5.

My guess: Patrick (Vegas) and Hischier (Colorado), and Vilardi (New Jersey) taken in the top 3. I see the Canucks taking Mittelstadt at 4-5. I think Benning likes players who want an education and who work hard (shows their character). Mittelstadt is going to college. He joins the Canucks for the 2019/20 season.

Edited by NUCKER67

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup, I think it was the Director of Central Scouting who this week said that after the first 9 or so there is a next tier 20-25 deep, which translates to 30-35 overall.  With fallers always happening and some teams reaching to draft some early, we're in a great spot to grab another top player at 33.  Columbus' pick is 20-some beyond that, but then we'll have our 3rd within about 10 or so shortly after.

Has it been confirmed that Canucks get the CBJ 2nd pick this year?   Because I believe that they can exercise the option to wait until next year.

5 minutes ago, danaimo said:

Has it been confirmed that Canucks get the CBJ 2nd pick this year?   Because I believe that they can exercise the option to wait until next year.

I doubt they would wait until next year. Columbus did well this year so might as well give us the 2nd round pick. Basically a 3rd round pick especially in this draft as after first round is quite weak.

Edited by Odd.

4 hours ago, Scruffy05 said:

I'm not certain how highly Benning values Glass based on how much weight Benning gives to tournament statistics and Glass's generally meager performances there. He had 1 good game with Canada at the U18 then was quiet.

There are also rumours that the brass see Vilardi as more of a winger. When evaluating between two players of roughly equal talent and fuzzy future progression probability, always take the center.

I think Benning puts a lot of thought into tournament performance. I think that's what gave Juolevi the edge over Sergachev and Chychrun. IIRC Juolevi set a record at the World Juniors as a 17 year old defenseman and followed that up with an excellent OHL Playoff and Memorial Cup performance.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, danaimo said:

The real chances of Vegas getting 1st is the same as asking what their odds are.  10.3%.

64.8% chance Canucks pick 4th or 5th.

I'm a bit of a skeptic when they tell us the drafting order after the fact, but don't actually show us the order at the time the balls are dropped. It's all secret stuff for some reason. Just saying, Bettman would sure love to see his new baby get 1st overall.