The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

At number 8 i believe Tippett would be BPA, and could be a good power winger to play with eichel down the road. For the Av's i think they take heiskanen if available but with the season they had they need the Best player they can get, and i think duchene will be gone in the near future.  

At the draft, could you see a Tanev for Duchene trade, or are both teams looking for draft picks/younger players in return?

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

At the draft, could you see a Tanev for Duchene trade, or are both teams looking for draft picks/younger players in return?

Both Eric Johnson and Tyson Barrie are right handed, I would think they would prefer help on the left side.

I would like Oettinger with one of our seconds. I'm not sure if he will be available at the CBJ second, but if he is we should definitely pick him up. I would be completely fine with him at 33rd overall as well. 

37 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Both Eric Johnson and Tyson Barrie are right handed, I would think they would prefer help on the left side.

Barrie really struggles on the Dside of the game.  Maybe, they would like Tanev to solid up their top 4?

• Upvote 1

What's this "rumour" that the Devils and Flyers are interested in trading down????

TSN NHL insider Darren Dreger joined the TSN1040 afternoon show in Vancouver this afternoon and had a juicy rumor for Vancouver Canucks fans: don’t be surprised if the Devils or Flyers trade down in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.

Currently sitting with the 5th overall selection, Canucks president Trevor Linden and general manager Jim Benning would love to be picking 1st or 2nd in the draft, but the sticking point may be the asking price from the draft’s top two teams. Dreger also asserts that the Colorado Avalanche and Arizona Coyotes may also factor into trade discussions, so the Canucks won’t be alone and could find themselves in a bidding war.

When asked what it would take for the Canucks to acquire either pick, Dreger speculates that a package of the 5th overall selection along with a second round pick or top prospect might do the trick, but failed to highlight specific players.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/report-canucks-could-acquire-1st-or-2nd-overall-pick/?ref=trevor

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Heretic said:

What's this "rumour" that the Devils and Flyers are interested in trading down????

TSN NHL insider Darren Dreger joined the TSN1040 afternoon show in Vancouver this afternoon and had a juicy rumor for Vancouver Canucks fans: don’t be surprised if the Devils or Flyers trade down in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.

Currently sitting with the 5th overall selection, Canucks president Trevor Linden and general manager Jim Benning would love to be picking 1st or 2nd in the draft, but the sticking point may be the asking price from the draft’s top two teams. Dreger also asserts that the Colorado Avalanche and Arizona Coyotes may also factor into trade discussions, so the Canucks won’t be alone and could find themselves in a bidding war.

When asked what it would take for the Canucks to acquire either pick, Dreger speculates that a package of the 5th overall selection along with a second round pick or top prospect might do the trick, but failed to highlight specific players.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/report-canucks-could-acquire-1st-or-2nd-overall-pick/?ref=trevor

Our 1st the cbj 2nd no more than that.   Let others beggar themselves  moving up 2 or 3 measly spots.  I'm ok at 5 if it means wasting value for marginal return when we gave so much need at all spots and depth.

Not that this wont stop people from flipping the script where last month they'd say moving down would only net a 2nd; only to now say Tanev + and our 1st is acceptable 

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Our 1st the cbj 2nd no more than that.   Let others beggar themselves  moving up 2 or 3 measly spots.  I'm ok at 5 if it means wasting value for marginal return when we gave so much need at all spots and depth.

Not that this wont stop people from flipping the script where last month they'd say moving down would only net a 2nd; only to now say Tanev + and our 1st is acceptable 

Losing Tanev, our best d-man, for a kid that might take 3 years to get to the NHL doesn't make sense. As well as their own pick. The Canucks might as well keep Tanev, and wait until draft day to get at least a player that's in the league.

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

4 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

There were a couple of segments about Cale Makar on TSN1040 today.

I think it was the Penticton Vees head coach. Sekeres and Price were talking to him about the team and going to the RBC Cup and facing Makar and the Brooks Bandits. He said that Makar has elite skating ability -- particularly his lateral movement and how he uses it. He said Makar's skating reminds him of a young Duncan Keith. Obviously Cale Makar has a long way to go to get to Keith's level but his skating is consistently lauded by scouts.

Then on the midday show with Don Taylor and the Moj they had the GM/Head Coach of Brooks Bandits. He again praised Makar's skating ability and his offense and stick skills. He has a quiet kind of leadership and let's his work ethic both on and off the ice do the talking for him. He also said he had to "get used to" being a top player with all the extra hacks and slashes and cross checks and attention that comes to it. Says he needs to work on gap control and positioning like all young defensemen, especially when moving to higher levels. Believes that the NCAA route is good for Makar as at UMASS he will be coached by a former NHL coach who was in the coaching staff under Mike Babcock and who also worked with -- yep you guessed it Erik Karlsson. Thinks Makar will get a lot of time in the gym and on-ice coaching due to the scheduling of NCAA games. 

I'll put up the links when they become available. 

IMO from the information I've heard today I would put Makar right there with Heiskanen. He's 5'11" and at most ~180lbs but if he can get another inch or two and play at 200 lbs and skate and think the way he does out there... boy you'd have quite the player. He'll get the time in the gym to get bigger and get NHL quality coaching in the next year or two he spends in the NCAA. Could jump straight into the NHL like Stecher did this year and Hutton the year before. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Folks here should really brace themselves for that CBJ pick to be sent to Boston for Spooner

You all know it to be true too

Could definitely see it. 

If one of the top 2 teams were willing to move down for a 2nd should look into that to see if we can get Hischier.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Dreger trolling as usual

Little surprised there hasn't been more talk about Rasanen at 33. There will obviously be good players that drop to 33 but I wouldn't be upset with a 6'7 right hand defense men. He could potentially be there with the Columbus second but I could see a team taking him between the 33rd pick and then

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=302228

https://ohlwriters.me/2017/01/22/eemeli-rasanen-kingston-frontenacs-player-profile/

http://www.thewhig.com/2017/01/27/fronts-get-prospects-call

On 2017-5-8 at 1:30 PM, missioncanucksfan said:

Not just that, it's a question of...

If a team simply drafts the "consensus" guy then when do they solidify a positional need? 

Benning gave his reason why he didn't pick Tkachuk and that was that he just finished drafting power forward wingers the past 2 drafts. In his view at that selection was that Canucks had a chance to pick what was the "consensus" top D and he took it and the Canucks NEED a D prospect since we didnt have any. 

I wish ppl could seriously STFU about this subject and actually discuss THIS draft going forward. Otherwise create a thread called "players we shoulda picked but didnt".

If you seriously eliminate every post in this thread that debates the past 3 drafts, we might only be at 100 pages.

True story.

At the time, I didn't have either Virt or OJ as my picks, but once they were picked they became Csnucks and I Look at the positive parts of their game.  Because I am a Canucks fan.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Okay sure -- 5th overall + Subban.

Fine, plus the SJ 4th.

4 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Lol yeah right. The price will be too steep. Let's just select 5th or trade up a spot or two and secure Vilardi.

Or, let's just stay where we are and likely Vilardi falls to us anyway?

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Okay sure -- 5th overall + Subban.

Fine, plus the SJ 4th.

Agreed,the top overall picks don't have anywhere near the star power that you would actually trade a significant piece for.....I'd say that any of the top 7-8 players could be the best player in this draft.

• Upvote 1