The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Even though having Juolevi and either Makar or Heiskanen in our system would be incredible, I will be disappointed with yet another draft not addressing our centre problem.  JB, please pick Glass or Vilardi, heck even get the European twig in Pettersen if he's whats best for us.  We NEED a centre prospect and we need it bad.

We really do need another top ten pick. Nabbing one of the top centers AND one of the top Dmen would go a long ways towards our rebuild.

If we move Tanev to Dallas in a deal involving their 3rd overall.

3rd- Vilardi

5th- Heiskanen/Makar

If we move Tanev to Buffalo in a deal involving their 8th overall.

5th- Heiskanen/Makar

8th- Pettersson

Either one of these scenarios will make me very happy.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hirshier

Patrick

Vilardi

Glass

Heiskanen

Petrersson

Makar

Id be stoked with any of these guys! Guaranteed at least one falls in our laps. Really hoping for a Tanev trade and another top ten pick

I mean yeah it's certain some of these players will be available at 5th but then again Tkachuk fell into Vancouver last draft and see how that turned out 

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

If Glass is still available at #5...I believe thats who the Canucks will pick....If Glass is not available,that's anybody guess.

I want Glass and I'll want Tanev traded. Trade up or trade down but his value will never be higher and his bo trade clause hasn't kicked in yet. Let's kick them rebuild into overdrive 

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

Vilardi + Glass/Pettersson

Would be an amazing haul.

Dahlen-Glass/Pettersson-Boeser

Baerstchi-Horvat-Vilardi

Goldobin-Gaudette-Virtanen

i would be down with that

Unless Heiskanen drops this is what we should be doing. Trading Tanev to get Vilardi and Glass would be our best draft since the Sedins. 

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Vilardi is a natural C. Only played wing last year other than that C growing up and when he started in WHL. Spitfires just had too much depth down middle.

Good to know..thanks....I remember PLD being touted as a C last year,only to learn that he was predominately playing wing..

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

NHL readiness is a poor metric to draft by IMO. Particularly if you're very far away from contending (as we are).

For example, either DAL or PHI could be forgiven for taking more NHL ready players as they're a lot closer to contending. Or heck even CAL last year with Tkachuck (though it's likely they'd have taken him anyway). 

Vancouver on the other hand is years out and can afford to wait for OJ. And a top 4 D IMO is worth more than a middle 6 W no matter how much more 'ready' he is.

Same reason I have Heiskanen at 9 in this draft, after both Liljegrin and Makar. Good player, high floor, almost guaranteed top 4 D and likely ready in 1-2 years... but if Lilj/Makar turn out, and even if they take 3-4 years to get there, they will be far more valuable players. 

Too much 'readiness bias'.

Absolutely agree with your philosophy.  

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Vilardi is a natural C. Only played wing last year other than that C growing up and when he started in WHL. Spitfires just had too much depth down middle.

I know that. I'm saying that Vilardi would be good because he knows how to play both center and wing whereas Glass can only play center. Vilardi gives us a bit of flexibility and he's also a right handed shot so he can rotate taking faceoffs with Horvat. 

Vilardi has really grown on me over the past few weeks. I would draft him if we can somehow get that 3rd overall pick. The way he turned it on during the mem cup really opened my eyes as to how dominant he can be in clutch times. The way he steals pucks and sets his teammates up for that crucial pass as well as his physicality screams Jamie Benn 2.0. Benn was also drafted as a center but converted to the wing. 

Lots of different line combinations

Dahlen/Mittlestadt/Vilardi

Baertschi/Horvat/Vilardi

Dahlen/Horvat/Vilardi

Baertschi/Mittlestadt/Vilardi

edit: paragraph mysteriously disappeared 

Edited by Odd.

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I wonder if the lack of talk is just because they feel Vilardi played himself out of the Canucks range. I do think Pettersson will be the better offensive player out of the two. However Vilardi the better playoff player which is what it's all about is it not. I am a huge Pettersson fan but if I had the choice I'd lean to taking Vilardi as it stands right now.

If he is out of range and that's why JB isn't talking about him much, maybe he isn't high enough on Vilardi to trade up for him

As important as anything to a rebuild is creating a buzz about the team. Getting 3rd and 5th in the same draft would create this and signal a point in time for everyone to rally around and believe in. Takes balls to do it. Got those JB?

27 minutes ago, Bo53 said:

If he is out of range and that's why JB isn't talking about him much, maybe he isn't high enough on Vilardi to trade up for him

Vilardi is not out of range at all (if anything,he's predicted to fall a spot or two,like Tkachuk did last year)

Vilardi is considered a 'power forward'..whereas Glass is a more well rounded '200 ft' player

Both are good choices..Just st depends on what the Canucks want ..For all we know,the Canucks could have Pettersen rated above both.

• Upvote 1

Some rumours leaking out about Banning happy with a centre prospect for tanev.

Names being Strome Reinhardt etc.

Does this change things in regards to the draft if he indeed is targeting a player over a pick?

Gets his center then drafts a long term D in Liljegren or Makar?

Just now, Warhippy said:

Does this change things in regards to the draft if he indeed is targeting a player over a pick?

Source?

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'd be super happy if after the draft we have Sam Reinhart and Cale Makar.  Could we be looking at Chucky?  

• Upvote 1