The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

I think Marek has the best mock draft i've seen yet. 

Still want to see the Canucks get Glass and Makar both. Let Makar play in College for a few years then move him up at the right time. Canucks are gonna be bad for at least 2 more seasons anyway, might as well take a big gamble in Makar. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

As much as I would love any of those 3 I think if we get any secondary 1rst rounders after 10 I think we should go with another forward with a high ceiling. Suzuki or Yamamoto. Then grab Robin Salo in the 3rd cause he is honestly the biggest sleeper in this draft. He's been playing against men as long as Heiskanen and has an impressive TOI per game. His offence was bad this last year but he gets a lot of shots on goal. I believe it is a stroke of bad luck. Plus with a name like that history has shown we can't go wrong. 

Get him a titanium cup....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

who is Middlestadts comparable to in the NHL?  he has some of the best stick handling and is very shifty in the o zone.

Imo, Tyler Seguin. 

Some say hes a bigger Patty Kane

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

I agree. He of course thinks like a pro and acts accordingly like you say which bodes very well for his future NHL career.

This draft is going to produce some good NHL'ers. There was a poster earlier that compared this draft to the 2012 draft because of no generational or maybe even franchise player in this draft. I think it was a good comparison. But even the 2012 draft produced more than a dozen good NHL'ers in the first round like at #3 Alex Galchenyuk, #5 Morgan Rielly, #6 Hampus Lindholm, #7 Mathew Dumba, #9 Jacob Trouba, #11 Filip Forsberg, #15 Cody Ceci, #16 Tom Wilson, #17 Tomas Hertl, #18 Teuvo Teravainen, # 19 Andrei Vasilevskiy, #22 Olli Maatta, and #30 Tanner Pearson. Then there are the second rounders like; Jake McCabe, Colton Sissons, Chris Tierney, and Damon Severson. Third rounders; Joonas Korpisalo, Shayne Gostisbehere, Matt Murray, Colton Parayko, and Frederik Andersen. Fourth round; Josh Anderson, Cedric Paquette, and Andreas Athanasiou. Fifth round and beyond; Connor Hellebuyck, Ben Hutton, Colin Miller, Connor Brown, and Matthew Benning.

Like a lot of you know, this draft is not "sexy" but it is deep. Deep into the second round deep plus the steals in later rounds. Glass and his follow top five represents the ceiling. Hard to imagine Benning can't come up with a very good NHL'er at #5.

Yup, let's just hope we pick the Galchenyuk, Lindholm, Reilly or  say Forsberg and not the Yakupov, Reinhart, Pouliot etc :lol:

2 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

We have too many finesse forwards already. Petterson is tall but will never be a bruiser. Vilardi or Glass is what we need down the middle to complete in the west. 

Goldobin and Dahlen (he's pretty feisty and more of a shooter) are the ONLY higher end finesse forward we have in the pipeline and they're wingers. We need a playmaker not a bruiser. We can get solid bruisers in the later rounds of the draft or through the free agent market. We need a center with a ceiling high enough to takeover for Henrik when he retires. Who's gonna run the powerplay when Henrik retires? I love Bo Horvat but it won't be him.

Pettersson isn't a hitter but he still has great defensive skills. He doesn't win the puck off players with hits, he does it with smarts. Think Datsyuk when he's hounding the puck carrier (Datsyuk could get very physical as well but he mainly stripped the puck off people using his stick and his smarts). All three of Pettersson, Glass, Vilardi have sound defensive games, but none are bruisers. What separates them is their offensive ceiling, Pettersson undoubtedly has the best offensive upside. 

I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted any of them, I just believe that Pettersson will be the best of the lot.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wonder__Bread said:

Goldobin and Dahlen (he's pretty feisty and more of a shooter) are the ONLY higher end finesse forward we have in the pipeline and they're wingers. We need a playmaker not a bruiser. We can get solid bruisers in the later rounds of the draft or through the free agent market. We need a center with a ceiling high enough to takeover for Henrik when he retires. Who's gonna run the powerplay when Henrik retires? I love Bo Horvat but it won't be him.

Pettersson isn't a hitter but he still has great defensive skills. He doesn't win the puck off players with hits, he does it with smarts. Think Datsyuk when he's hounding the puck carrier (Datsyuk could get very physical as well but he mainly stripped the puck off people using his stick and his smarts). All three of Pettersson, Glass, Vilardi have sound defensive games, but none are bruisers. What separates them is their offensive ceiling, Pettersson undoubtedly has the best offensive upside. 

I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted any of them, I just believe that Pettersson will be the best of the lot.  

Isn't Petersson the one of those three with the most risk of busting too though?  We need another top 10 pick: one safe, and the other take the risk.

7 minutes ago, Wonder__Bread said:

All three of Pettersson, Glass, Vilardi have sound defensive games, but none are bruisers. What separates them is their offensive ceiling, Pettersson undoubtedly has the best offensive upside. 

Let's not forget this guy in that group:

2802967-img-sport-hokej-reprezentace-osm

Martin_Necas-$.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

looking at Juolevi he looks like an Ohlund level of steady,need more flash though with a needed point man.All our great shooters on D either leave or get traded,it just blows.

Actually Juolevi reminds me of Edler.... oh uhhhhh  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn't Petersson the one of those three with the most risk of busting too though?  We need another top 10 pick: one safe, and the other take the risk.

If Pettersson doesn't put on some muscle than he definitely has a high risk of busting but he's just so damn smart I think he'll be able to transition to the play in any league.

Every prospect has a high chance of busting though. They bust when they don't overcome their weaknesses which is why work ethic is so important when judging these 17 year olds. A player with multiple weaknesses has a higher chance of busting. Petterssons only weakness is his weight. Vilardi is his skating. Glass is if he can continue his current trend cause before this year he was very average, I also think he needs to improve on his puck skills cause they're extremely underwhelming. 

8 minutes ago, Wonder__Bread said:

It could turn out just like you say. Pettersson could become the better player between him, Glass, and Valardi. Just like Filip forsberg went #11 in 2012 and Erik Karlsson #15 in 2008. Arguably the top player in their respective drafts yet went outside of the top 10.  I really like his offensive upside and compete, I just don't like his body. I would still pick Glass over him. Glass is a better fit for our team. We need size playing in the west and for the playoffs when anything goes. Plus Glass is a play maker and will turn out to be a good NHL'er. In other words, Benning will probably draft Pettersson and a lot of people, including myself, will have varying degrees of post traumatic stress disorder, at least temporarily anyway.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

That would be pretty sweet, VAN would win the draft IMO.

Take Glass at #5 and then maybe Heiskanen or Liljegren at #8, for example. The rebuild would be almost complete. A top pairing D of Juoelvi - Heiskanen does sound very solid. The Fins shuttin'er down.

Easy fella. We have a good batch of prospects now.  If 50% turn into good players we still have a couple years of drafts to build with.  Think 3-5 years. 

• Upvote 1