The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks waive higgins for purpose of buyout

20 minutes ago, tas said:

using general fanager, i have 12 forwards (including gaunce and rodin, no etem), 7 defensemen (including tryamkin and biega, no pedan), 2 goalies, luongo's retention and the overage charges at a total of $62,995,915. 

$10 mil in cap space with 2 roster spots to fill. 

That's also what I have using cap friendly if I add Rodin - so basically 10M for two UFAs.

1 hour ago, shadowgoon said:

Waiving Burrows next will save us another 2.0M on the cap, and next year both will contribute only 1.833 to the caphit. Worth it if Benning & Co decide to load up and pitch Stamkos as well as add a Lucic or Eriksson, or offer sheet Seth Jones @ ~9.3M/year over 5-7 years (I can't see any scenario in which Columbus can match especially if they miss the buyout window and have to pawn off contracts and bleed young assets/1st round picks)

With Gudbranson, Markstrom, Hutton and Horvat all needing new deals next year, it wouldn't be smart to have that extra cap hit next season.  

13 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

With Gudbranson, Markstrom, Hutton and Horvat all needing new deals next year, it wouldn't be smart to have that extra cap hit next season.  

getting ryan miller's 6 million off of the books will help.

Just now, Darius71 said:

Very true, but the Canucks will still need to sign a good back up as well as give Markstrom a raise- the difference between losing Miller and now probably won't be that much when all is said and done

Sad that it came to this, but it was the right thing to do from the teams perspective. Higgins was a big team player all the way through and didn't complain at any point. I sincerely hope he can land an NHL deal with another team.

34 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Yep. I think Miller's contract will go towards Bo and Gudbranson, then if Burr isn't moved this summer then his will help as well. We'll be fine. 

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

On the fence with him. Keeping him would give us more leadership and another player moving forward as an example of hard work. Buying him out would result in a free slot for a younger player to compete for.

How many leaders you need? How many hard workers you want. I present you two. They're called the Sedins. Let's move on from Burrows. Change is coming.

9 minutes ago, Lui's Knob said:

Higgins had a good year and playoff cashed in on a horrible contract by gillis for a 3rd liner. Good move and likely will play in Europe 

It wasn't really a horrible contract at the time. Probably one year too many but he was pretty much a 40 point player until last year.

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

Yea. If anything move him to someone with a good amount of cap space for a late 6th/7th. $4.5 million off the books would be massive. 

Canucks have enough cap space already to make a serious run at some FA's- I don't think they really need to use that extra cap space- they still need a buffer for next season.

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Pretty generous of management/ownership. I'd have just waived him.

Agreed. This is an example of situation where the buyout is the "classy" move and shows more respect for the player.

Often it's the opposite (and a buyout can be a real slap in the face) but in Higgins' case, he probably welcomes the move. Higgins just had very little chance of claiming a spot in the Canucks lineup, especially given the other players under contract and the direction this team is going in, so he was most likely looking at waivers and being Utica-bound for another season.

I'm sure management investigated trading him (before deciding on this course), even for a minimal return and with some retention, and found no takers.

But as a UFA, Higgins might be able to find a team willing to give him a shot (at the very least he should get some PTO interest).

Management is basically giving him (and his agent) the best opportunity to find a way to extend his NHL career.

Archived