The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks waive higgins for purpose of buyout

Waiving Burrows next will save us another 2.0M on the cap, and next year both will contribute only 1.833 to the caphit. Worth it if Benning & Co decide to load up and pitch Stamkos as well as add a Lucic or Eriksson, or offer sheet Seth Jones @ ~9.3M/year over 5-7 years (I can't see any scenario in which Columbus can match especially if they miss the buyout window and have to pawn off contracts and bleed young assets/1st round picks)

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Burrows ought to be next

Love Burrows, but I agree.  Even though the cap space created won't be huge, it's time to provide openings for the younger guys or a more productive FA. Burrows will always be one of my personal favorites.  

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Burrows ought to be next

On the fence with him. Keeping him would give us more leadership and another player moving forward as an example of hard work. Buying him out would result in a free slot for a younger player to compete for.

6 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Chris was all class, all the way through - even when he was demoted and brought back up from the AHL.

Best of luck!

My first thought was why not just eat the contract this year and be done with the cap hit after one year.  But in all honesty, Higgins has been such a classy guy for this organization that this is what is fairest to him as a professional hockey player to see if he can land somewhere else.  The cap hit is minimal next year anyway.

3 minutes ago, shadowgoon said:

offer sheet Seth Jones @ ~9.3M/year over 5-7 years 

Wat.

You want to offer a 21 year old defenceman averaging only a .33 ppg average - 9.3 million a year?

13 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Well, I wasn't a big fan of buying him out because of the impact it will have on next year's cap, but it's done now so I guess I might as well be excited for the cap $aving$ this year! Come on Benning, spend dat money!!

I think they have over 10 million now in cap sapce...

5 minutes ago, shadowgoon said:

Waiving Burrows next will save us another 2.0M on the cap, and next year both will contribute only 1.833 to the caphit. Worth it if Benning & Co decide to load up and pitch Stamkos as well as add a Lucic or Eriksson, or offer sheet Seth Jones @ ~9.3M/year over 5-7 years (I can't see any scenario in which Columbus can match especially if they miss the buyout window and have to pawn off contracts and bleed young assets/1st round picks)

Burrows will most likely finish his contract. Best way to not be attached to anything beyond.

Archived