The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks need a "scorched earth rebuild"....

Honky Cat

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

I am not into conspiracy theories or anything,but the Leafs are owned by the the media...Bell/Rogers (who owns TSN,Sportsnet)....Would it not make sense that they  would manipulate how great the Leafs are..(rebuild..etc)..?

I don't even see it as a conspiracy theory. They make it blatantly obvious that's what they're doing.

People always want to talk about going all-in on a rebuild but why do they never mention trading the Sedins? I'm still not sold on doing it but we have to maximize that value if a Cup isn't within our reach in the next few  years. Major key to winning the Cup is drafting well and making smart trades/signings. 

We've already scorched the earth...

How many names are really left from the 2011 run? 

We started over the moment we traded for Bo. Do you people not remember how young this guy is? He feels like a regular already, but he's really just begun his life as an NHL player. 

Jake is barely out of his teens. Boeser is still enjoying the best years of his life in college, and Demko just finished that chapter in his and needs to develop his pro game. Juolevi should be back in London, or Finland, but he'll make it tough for our staff not to keep him up.

Our D corps is finally taking shape. Only Edler and Tanev are remnants of the old regime, but they remain excellent complementary pieces for our back end. Gudbranson solidifies things, Tryamkin calmly intimidates, Hutton looks to be a real spark plug, Sbisa just needs to hit everything in sight.

I hardly recognize the Canucks anymore, and you want to "scorch the earth"?

I consider a lineup with Emerson Etem, Jacob Markstrom, Nikita Tryamkin, and Jake Virtanen in key roles to be a "new-look Canucks".

We have some very exciting pieces coming up the pipeline; it might not line up with the twins' timeline, but it'll come. With my rose-coloured glasses on, I can see Henrik and Daniel making like Twin Jagrs and sliding down the lineup seamlessly through to their early 40s. Otherwise we will need to draft or trade for some top line offense.

6 hours ago, ButterBean said:

People always want to talk about going all-in on a rebuild but why do they never mention trading the Sedins? I'm still not sold on doing it but we have to maximize that value if a Cup isn't within our reach in the next few  years. Major key to winning the Cup is drafting well and making smart trades/signings. 

Look at how the Canucks finished 3rd worst in the league and still only managed to get the 5th. And that 5th wasnt a sure fire BPA. And then look at how Edm managed to scoop one of the Fins.

It was just another draft that the Oilers won and the Canucks lost. Our attempts at the draft have no worked out well for us. We aren't very good losers like Edm and Cal. This franchise is just not destined to have a prototypical rebuild.

17 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

But what exactly did the youngsters learn last year? How to lose and destroy your confidence? Lots thought McCann was the second coming a month in and then his confidence just went with the season with night after night of offensive troubles. I can't tell you how many nights last season henrik and Daniel repeated the same stuff every night.

Is having a team full of teenagers better? Or is having some veterans better than none at all. 

17 hours ago, obee said:

joe  . benning is way out of his league,calgary wnnipeg and oilers all got better, i am tired of benning and his mantra we want to make the play offs and retool on the fly, he just plods along hoping something will fall in his lap,all he has done is bring in mediocre players,his vision is to be in the play offs ,get bounced in the first round and pick around 20 th every year at the draft, this year he had the 5 th pick , he ignores the best player rated at 4 or 5 and takes one rated 7 or 8, now whether OJ becomes a good player or not, benning stated about 6 weeks age there is no D man rated in the top 5 , benning might be good at drafting, that has yet to be proven , but he is a poor example of a GM

Welcome to the Canuck forum, where any thought that isn't rah, rah or poster that isn't "they are gods" mushrooms gets hammered by the Canuck pro posters.

Any idiot can see where this team is going.

I liked Gillis's plan better, two/three years of bottom feeding followed by a resurgence.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Welcome to the Canuck forum, where any thought that isn't rah, rah or poster that isn't "they are gods" mushrooms gets hammered by the Canuck pro posters.

I liked Gillis's plan better, two/three years of bottom feeding followed by a resurgence.

Yeah because our attempts at the prototypical "rebuild" has worked out so well for us.

1 hour ago, LolClarkson said:

Look at how the Canucks finished 3rd worst in the league and still only managed to get the 5th. And that 5th wasnt a sure fire BPA. And then look at how Edm managed to scoop one of the Fins.

It was just another draft that the Oilers won and the Canucks lost. Our attempts at the draft have no worked out well for us. We aren't very good losers like Edm and Cal. This franchise is just not destined to have a prototypical rebuild.

A quote from the CBJ GM stated he had a very small deal (CBJ 2nd back) that was nixed in the last minute for the third overall.

Edmonton's GM stated yesterday that they were taking a dman if PJ wasn't available.

The Nucks didn't lose, they refused the pick for a 2nd.

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

A quote from the CBJ GM stated he had a very small deal (CBJ 2nd back) that was nixed in the last minute for the third overall.

Edmonton's GM stated yesterday that they were taking a dman if PJ wasn't available.

The Nucks didn't lose, they refused the pick for a 2nd.

They lost at the lottery when the new rules kicked in. If it wasn't for the Oilers, we would have had the 3rd pick.

I'd rather go the Dallas route. The "rebuild" route will just lead to endless frustration. You need luck for that and we don't have it.

But we already have a huge win in the Gudbranson trade which is more a Dallas model kind of deal.

I like the concept of having young players develop in a competitive environment with skilled vets, allowing them to grow into major roles.  Or we could go down the path of allowing our young prospects to get bullied and ground into the dirt every night in a quest for the next draft pick.  Edmonton has done well with that plan.

20 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Vancouver Canucks

Projected Cap Space: $10,178,752

UFAs: Radim Vrbata, Linden Vey, Dan Hamhuis, Matt Bartkowski, Yannick Weber

RFAs: Andrey Pedan

Team Needs: A scorched-earth rebuild. Jim Benning and Co. appear set on chasing top free agents.

No love for the Canucks on Sportsnet.....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-signing-season-essential-team-info-western-conference/

What does this even mean?

1 hour ago, LolClarkson said:

They lost at the lottery when the new rules kicked in. If it wasn't for the Oilers, we would have had the 3rd pick.

I'd rather go the Dallas route. The "rebuild" route will just lead to endless frustration. You need luck for that and we don't have it.

But we already have a huge win in the Gudbranson trade which is more a Dallas model kind of deal.

I understand the "lost" through the new rules, I am commenting that the Nucks apparently could have traded for the #3 pick by giving Columbus's 2nd pick back.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Honesty this is just same type of generalizing some of them do on the opposite side. I have no faith in Benning either but I hope we can all have an adult conversation about it as in the end we are all Canucks fans and want the same result (cup) and only have difference of opinions on the path to get there. 

No need to hate each other because we agree or disagree with management.  

20 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

But what exactly did the youngsters learn last year? How to lose and destroy your confidence? Lots thought McCann was the second coming a month in and then his confidence just went with the season with night after night of offensive troubles. I can't tell you how many nights last season henrik and Daniel repeated the same stuff every night.

Hmm, so you are suggesting that there should be a deliberate plan in place which teaches Canuck prospects to lose and to destroy their confidence?

Part of the issue with last season was that (due to injuries)  guys were placed in situations for which they were unprepared.

regards,  G.

19 hours ago, obee said:

joe  . benning is way out of his league,calgary wnnipeg and oilers all got better, i am tired of benning and his mantra we want to make the play offs and retool on the fly, he just plods along hoping something will fall in his lap,all he has done is bring in mediocre players,his vision is to be in the play offs ,get bounced in the first round and pick around 20 th every year at the draft, this year he had the 5 th pick , he ignores the best player rated at 4 or 5 and takes one rated 7 or 8, now whether OJ becomes a good player or not, benning stated about 6 weeks age there is no D man rated in the top 5 , benning might be good at drafting, that has yet to be proven , but he is a poor example of a GM

I guess we're just lucky that Benning has increased his girth since his playing days so that he now has such an ample lap into which mediocre players like Erik Gudbranson may fall. 

regards,  G.

14 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I understand the "lost" through the new rules, I am commenting that the Nucks apparently could have traded for the #3 pick by giving Columbus's 2nd pick back.

The 3rd overall deal wasn't even involved with Vancouver, it was with Calgary.  The team that spent the 45 minute on the phone with CBJ prior to the #3 pick. 

There was a 3 way deal with CGY going to #3 CBJ going to #4 and EDM going to #6 but the oilers nixed the deal at the last minute when they found out the CBJ wouldn't take Pul. 

Vancouver was not involved in a deal with the 3rd overall pick. 

Just now, TimberWolf said:

Honesty this is just same type of generalizing some of them do on the opposite side. I have no faith in Benning either but I hope we can all have an adult conversation about it as in the end we are all Canucks fans and want the same result (cup) and only have difference of opinions on the path to get there. 

No need to hate each other because we agree or disagree with management.  

I am pretty sure management has paid some people to be watching the forum and trying to de-rail or get negative threads and poster's off the forum.

These "people" will ridicule spelling, grammar, give short negative replies, hoot about how Benning is a god, try to make the last management group look bad, blame the direction and position of the team on anyone but this group, constantly bring up Edmonton for selecting near the bottom and ignore the other ten teams that were successful, totally ignore what TO did last year and how they are now ahead of the Canucks.

Archived