The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks need a "scorched earth rebuild"....

Honky Cat

11 minutes ago, obee said:

joe  . benning is way out of his league,calgary wnnipeg and oilers all got better, i am tired of benning and his mantra we want to make the play offs and retool on the fly, he just plods along hoping something will fall in his lap,all he has done is bring in mediocre players,his vision is to be in the play offs ,get bounced in the first round and pick around 20 th every year at the draft, this year he had the 5 th pick , he ignores the best player rated at 4 or 5 and takes one rated 7 or 8, now whether OJ becomes a good player or not, benning stated about 6 weeks age there is no D man rated in the top 5 , benning might be good at drafting, that has yet to be proven , but he is a poor example of a GM

bennimng improved his defense when dubois was gone...edmonton had more pieces they could trade off...calgary needed to fix their defense...canucks had several holes to fill...it will probably take longer to fix the canucks then the other 2...benning inherited this team....we are all entitled to our opinions as long as we don't think our opinions are right or better than other people's opinions...

18 minutes ago, obee said:

joe  . benning is way out of his league,calgary wnnipeg and oilers all got better, i am tired of benning and his mantra we want to make the play offs and retool on the fly, he just plods along hoping something will fall in his lap,all he has done is bring in mediocre players,his vision is to be in the play offs ,get bounced in the first round and pick around 20 th every year at the draft, this year he had the 5 th pick , he ignores the best player rated at 4 or 5 and takes one rated 7 or 8, now whether OJ becomes a good player or not, benning stated about 6 weeks age there is no D man rated in the top 5 , benning might be good at drafting, that has yet to be proven , but he is a poor example of a GM

You're kidding right?  Look at the players BUF and BOS drafted while he was in both organizations, esp BOS.  And do you seriously think JB, a top scout, gives a F about other 'rankings'?  

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

no scorched earth plan please...i like benning's approach...have young players learn from core until they can take over as core players...

Exactly. Three or four more years like last year and the young players will be ready to take over.

1 hour ago, drsofthands said:

I agree, no matter how you slice it, a team needs a good first line to be successful, and its just not so difficult to build a strong top line without early draft picks.

I would say even more so with top defenders. We see all the time players getting picked up off free agency or trades and they go to a teams top line and thrive. A good example is Kyle Palmieri and Lee Stempniak last season in NJ. Kyle ended up potting 30 goals. And now they have Hall. The only half decent forward they have drafted is Adam Henrique. Similar could be said for Dallas who is at the other end of the spectrum, their highest drafted forward is Nichuskin and he's highly questionable at best.

How many top defenders do you see traded or become available (outside Weber and Subban Today ::D) ? Not very many. Its way more important to farm your own top defenders even though it does take time. Its about making the right call not the sexy one.

3 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Well, we are in a rebuild whether we like it or not.

what did you expect? Them to say the Canucks should compete hard for a playoff spot this year? I think they should wait until free agency to make any statements.

however even then this team has to be in the doghouse for a few years and that's fine by me.

would welcome Patrick with open arms!!

but that is what benning said we will try and make the play offs and he wants to sign free agents to do that,so when edmonton skates around with another stanley cup benning and the canucks will pick # 20 or so at the draft and continue to be a joke , at least mike gillis got us to game 7 in scf

8 minutes ago, obee said:

but that is what benning said we will try and make the play offs and he wants to sign free agents to do that,so when edmonton skates around with another stanley cup benning and the canucks will pick # 20 or so at the draft and continue to be a joke , at least mike gillis got us to game 7 in scf

I think the last statement there is unfair to Benning. Gillis was given time and inherited less of a mess of a team than Benning did. I would give Benning his five years to see where the club is at by that time. if the team hasn't improved. then it may be time for a change for the GM. for the sake of the club. would love to see where Benning and the club will be at in five years time. 

Right now this team reminds me of the post West Coast Express era. We have a young core developing now with guys like Bo, Virtanen, Tanev, Juolevi and Guddy who are like Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa and Edler were a couple years into the league. Boeser is two years away from a top 6, plus we will have a good draft next year. We are trending upwards and proving you can retool on the fly by surrounding your young core with good veterans much like Linden, Sundin, Mitchell did in terms of helping younger guys then, Burr, Sedins, Edler and Hansen are doing now. It is perfectly ok to be relevant and compete for playoffs while developing your next core. There is no proven formula that tanking equals success down the road. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I think the last statement there is unfair to Benning. Gillis was given time and inherited less of a mess of a team than Benning did. I would give Benning his five years to see where the club is at by that time. if the team hasn't improved. then it may be time for a change for the GM. for the sake of the club. would love to see where Benning and the club will be at in five years time. 

nazzy , gillis was hired in 2008 ,so it took him 3 years to go to the s c f,  gillis brought in high end players ,or tried to ,benning brings in plodders, i will admit though we don't know how benning's draft picks will turn out, but i was pissed when he let tkachuk go to calgary .

33 minutes ago, obee said:

nazzy , gillis was hired in 2008 ,so it took him 3 years to go to the s c f,  gillis brought in high end players ,or tried to ,benning brings in plodders, i will admit though we don't know how benning's draft picks will turn out, but i was pissed when he let tkachuk go to calgary .

I believe it is safe to say Benning has tried to bring in high end players as well, the $50 000 fine is proof of such.  And as far as Gillis's high end talent, do you remember the uproar when Sundin was signed?  I'll remind you, he essentially was paid 10 million a year!  (Although personally I believe his mentorship vastly improved the current core, as I believe the mentorship of the Sedins will vastly improve our future core)

46 minutes ago, obee said:

Gillis inherited the Twins, Kesler, and Luongo just as they entered their primes.  If anyone in the league thought he built the dynasty the ?Canucks became, then Gillis would have immediately got another GM job.  Where is he now - the Suisse league?  :lol:

49 minutes ago, obee said:

what high end players did gillis bring in? Also, how do you know that edmonton will win the stanley cup? Addendum: with your magic crystal ball powers, should you not consider placing money on them winning a cup right now?

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gillis inherited the Twins, Kesler, and Luongo just as they entered their primes.  If anyone in the league thought he built the dynasty the ?Canucks became, then Gillis would have immediately got another GM job.  Where is he now - the Suisse league?  :lol:

His biggest moves were probably Ehrhoff and Hamhuis.

He is now teaching a sports law course at UVIC.

5 hours ago, Qwags said:

Sportsnet's one to talk about "scorched earth" rebuilds.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I can think of a "sportsnet"-work that needs some serious rebuilding.

Hey, sportsnet, your HNIC coverage is crap. Your Rogers NHL Center ice package sucks jock straps if you live in BC and watch the Canucks. 

How'd that whole Strombo thing go? Sorry what now? Scorching that you say? Hmmmm.... 

I think it's time for a rebuild, your new CEO sucks. Top down rebuild sportsnet, ya bums.

Rant over

4 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

His biggest moves were probably Ehrhoff and Hamhuis.

He is now teaching a sports law course at UVIC.

Well, he did pretty OK with the whole legal end of things, cap etc.

But ya, he didn't draft well, or really have to build anything. He made a few decent trades I guess

Archived