The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Loui Eriksson [6 year x $6M AAV]

Just now, riffraff said:

Well there you go.  I'm open minded enough for some convincing shots.

He's not a big hitting guy, but he's a very good skater, he goes to the hard areas and he is a good forechecker despite not being what you would characterize as "gritty".

Then again, neither is Burrows necessarily, but he gets the job done.

I think Eriksson will be versatile enough that he'll help in a lot of ways - and can play on Sutter's wing if the Canucks want to platoon Eriksson and Honey Badger.

I like the signing a lot.   I may have preferred Brouwer at 4 yrs, 4.5, but Brouwer is probably not going to be bringing 60 pts any season soon, so they paid a bit more for the additional upside - and arguably the team may need the extra upside more than the extra grit.

• Haha 1

Just now, ShakyWalton said:

Im surprised that Button is about the only Canuck booster there.

They keep him there just to cleanse the palette.

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

I'm just praying to god we don't sign mikkel boedker

Yeah, with Eriksson now we don't need him.  Didn't want him in the first place either.  If anything, a McGinn or someone who can play the middle-six (too bad he's gone).

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

People are aware we just added the top goal scorer on the market, right?

WHO WOULD HAVE LED THE CANUCKS IN GOALS LAST YEAR.

AND THE CANUCKS ARE NOT EVEN CONTENDERS.

THEY DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS LAST YEAR.

THIS SIGNING SHOULD HAVE BEEN IMPOSSIBLE. 

2 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Don't be surprised.. And you can include Pierre McGuire to that list as well. The thing that makes both these guys great at analyzing is they aren't homers.  Where as guys like Odogg and the likes have their head so far up Torontos rear they can't see the deals for what they are, they are programmed to hate the Nucks!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Bo did such a wonderful job centering the second line. I wouldn't mind giving him the opportunity to see if he can't win that position again. Sutter would be an excellent third centreman. 

I see it the other way around. Bo's inexperience was exposed by being thrown into the second line. He started adapting at the end of the season but now that he has that experience against the toughest players in the league, put him back down against lesser competition and let him run amok for a season or two.

Sutter has the experience and 2-way game to survive (maybe not thrive) on the second line. I think eventually the switch will be made, but I don't believe it should happen yet.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

They are making the coilers out to be a powerhouse but in essence they swapped Hall for Lucic and added Larsson. The flames made their moves last year and broke the bank to build that defence - they didnt finish that much higher than vancouver. Adding Brouwer is a nice move but wont make them that much better.

I see the Canucks easily keeping up with the AHLberta teams - yet the media makes it look like they are lost in the forest..

• Upvote 2

Holy crap if our back end stays healthy and plays to their strengths, this team could really surprise a lot of people next season. Did you guys catch the Gudbranson vid on cdc home page? That kid is chiselled and looks really quick for his size. Straying a bit here but one signing sure changes things when viewed in context.

7 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I agree..getting sickening real fast..although..the coilers are going to be hard to play against 8 times next year..lots of toughness.

Matt Martin is still available isn't he? If we could sign him we'd be more evenly matched with the oil in terms of toughness

• Upvote 1