The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Loui Eriksson [6 year x $6M AAV]

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I didn't necessarily love the signing but I did prefer it to the lucic deal. Yes, the sample size is small but I think six years from now Loui's contract won't look as bad as Milan's. I think he's too good of a player with too much of a proven track record to continue doing what he's doing. 

I liked the Okposo and Brouwer options - but you can't always get what you want.

I think adding Brouwer to the mix would have been a very good balancer - bringing some heaviness and upside at a reasonable term/caphit - but he chose Calgary.

As far as Lucic - meh - I can just imagine what Eriksson could do with a pair of linemates like McDavid and Eberle.

Erkisson will be fine imo.  He's doing everything well, except the finish/luck aspect, which everyone goes through.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I didn't necessarily love the signing but I did prefer it to the lucic deal. Yes, the sample size is small but I think six years from now Loui's contract won't look as bad as Milan's. I think he's too good of a player with too much of a proven track record to continue doing what he's doing. 

Like I said

Sample

People are writing him off after 12 games.  Without considering he could easily break out.  or Clarkson/Gomez on us.  It's WAY to early to tell.  But damned if they aren't doing it

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I liked the Okposo and Brouwer options - but you can't always get what you want.

I think adding Brouwer to the mix would have been a very good balancer - bringing some heaviness and upside at a reasonable term/caphit - but he chose Calgary.

As far as Lucic - meh - I can just imagine what Eriksson could do with a pair of linemates like McDavid and Eberle.

Erkisson will be fine imo.  He's doing everything well, except the finish/luck aspect, which everyone goes through.

Okposo would have been my most preferred choice of the FA last season. If Benning wasn't going to get Lucic i would have liked it if he went for Okposo.

Who knows maybe he did but wasn't interested playing in Vancouver.

Too many fans lap up the reactionary posts and blogs without thinking of why they were written in the first place.

Idiots like Botchford, Brough, Patterson, Dreger, Spector, and Sekeres only exist to leech off of teams and throw bones of "information" to the salivating masses barking for a morsel of something. Now with the immediacy of Twitter, it's like crack for desperate sports fans. They got em hooked.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, xRussianrocket said:

Dont like the signing, no knock on loui or his skill. But signing a declining player for that amount and term when we are essentially a team in rebuild mode was a horrible decision.  More of a carrot grab by ownership who is after playoff money then icing a truly competitive team.

How is eriksson decline he just had a huge season..

2011-12  is the last time he put up 70 pts. His numbers in boston were average at best.   Radim Vrbata had 31 goals in 2014-15 for us and is signed for a million. Loui's contract and term is horrible, this signing will handcuff us for years.  The sedins are on the downside of thier careers but still produce.  But realistically loui and the sedins is a lot of money to throw at basically second liners at this point in thier careers.  

Bennings retirement contract to Erikkson is a farce.  He might might put up numbers for a couple seasons (sure doesnt look like this year). But then this will look like it truly is which was throwing way too much money at him during a weak UFA year as a desperate attempt to keep some asses in the seats.  

On 10/11/2016 at 10:57 PM, xRussianrocket said:

Lol i just double checked radim vrbatas stats. He would top of our team goals and points if he was here... number 1.. wow

Maybe this is shows that its not necessarily the players having a bad year of their own accord, but we just don't have the team around them or coaching systems to support higher level scoring. Vrbata has a great year in 2015, $&!#ty year in 2016 on a contract year as well, and now is getting back to good scoring levels. Erikkson while he might be on a slight decline has still put up good scoring levels the last few years including playing with the twins in the world cup and lighting it up, then comes here and can't produce (yes I know its a small sample size and he is usually a slow starter). Not sure if this could be legitimate, but thought I would mention it and hear what you guys have to say. While I study the sport and follows players and stats and movement, I never played and do not have any understanding of team systems and how that could affect players ability to score. It seems like people on here have mentioned that WD plays a defensive style system that people don't really agree with. I like to try and look at all factors and try to find explanations from there, rather than just assume its a random fluctuation of players ability to produce.

On 2016-11-13 at 5:44 AM, Ryan Strome said:

Except he was terrible last year..

Like eriksson this year @ 6m/6yrs?  

Id rather of signed vrbata for 2 or 2.5 mill a year.  Safer contract less risk. Doesnt future destroy our cap for 6 yrs..  and keeps us free to sign real talent when good UFA's are available.