The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vesey Still In Play

9 hours ago, smokes said:

This guy has got to be the most overrated rookie in NHL history by now, with all the coverage around this guy, one would think he's McDavid.

know, zero games played in the NHL. hmmm, the Oilers signed Schultz which was sort of like this and that didn't work out so well.

I'm going to call Vessey a drama queen because he should just sign and get it over with. I can't believe teams have halted their plans to see how the dominoes fall from once this prima donna finally signs.

1 minute ago, GarthButcher5 said:

know, zero games played in the NHL. hmmm, the Oilers signed Schultz which was sort of like this and that didn't work out so well.

I'm going to call Vessey a drama queen because he should just sign and get it over with. I can't believe teams have halted their plans to see how the dominoes fall from once this prima donna finally signs.

As much I hate seeing an unproven college player conduct a sweepstakes for himself like this, I can see why there's the pandemonium amongst NHL teams. If he works out and can become a legitimate top 6 option on his ELC, that could be what puts a contender over the top. That's 3-6 million dollars they won't have to spend to fill that void that could be used to address other issues. 

9 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Yeah but look at Kevin Hayes?  When it works out, it also works out...

Dude had 45 points as a 22 year old rookie coming out of college.

10 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yeah but look at Kevin Hayes?  When it works out, it also works out...

Dude had 45 points as a 22 year old rookie coming out of college.

True, it could very well work out for whatever team signs him. I totally admit that.

For me personally though, the way he's gone about things leaves a bad taste in my mouth. He hasn't even played in the NHL yet and he's already shown a willingness to put himself ahead of the team.

It's not like he was drafted by a bottom feeder either. I mean at the time, Nashville wasn't doing so hot but now in 2016 they're a very strong team. 

Vesey has already turned down Detroit.  He told them that they were too far away from Boston.  If that's the truth of why he turned them down, that would shoot down Chicago as well.  Chicago is even farther away from Boston by around 200 miles.

According to MLive.com, the Red Wings have already spoken to the 23-year-old’s camp and were told he wasn’t interested in being so far from his hometown of Boston.

“We did our best,” Red Wings assistant GM Ryan Martin said, per MLive.com. “We spoke to his agent about depth and opportunity. He said he preferred to play closer to home.”

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/08/16/an-update-on-the-jimmy-vesey-sweepstakes/

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A 23 year old is afraid of being too far from home even if it means a better opportunity?

Pass.

It's rumoured that his father is seriously ill. Ryan Suter did the same when his father was sick, he chose to stay close to home. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Ahh didn't know that. That's very commendable if true.

There isn't a concrete source on this though. It's just been a lot of rumours on HF surfacing from the Boston crowd that Vesey Sr. is ill, hence the desire to stay as close to home as possible. May be true or may not be true. 

But I believe there is a kernel of truth to that based on everything that's happened thus far.

30 minutes ago, Toews said:

There isn't a concrete source on this though. It's just been a lot of rumours on HF surfacing from the Boston crowd that Vesey Sr. is ill, hence the desire to stay as close to home as possible. May be true or may not be true. 

But I believe there is a kernel of truth to that based on everything that's happened thus far.

There goes any validity on that theory.

57 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

There goes any validity on that theory.

And sometimes rumours are true.

Months before news broke as to why Travis Hamonic wanted to move back to Winnipeg came out, I said it was due to his mother having cancer. I knew this (and said as much on here) as I live 20 minutes from St Malo. But I'm just some guy on an Internet forum, so it was "just some rumour". But sometimes rumours are true.

29 minutes ago, Monty said:

And sometimes rumours are true.

Months before news broke as to why Travis Hamonic wanted to move back to Winnipeg came out, I said it was due to his mother having cancer. I knew this (and said as much on here) as I live 20 minutes from St Malo. But I'm just some guy on an Internet forum, so it was "just some rumour". But sometimes rumours are true.

We'll see sooner or later.  I have 0 trust in HF. 

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

We'll see sooner or later.  I have 0 trust in HF. 

I completely understand that. I mean, it is the Internet, after all. Not only that, but people are rarely right or "in the know" regarding most things that don't include them directly. So yeah, I would have zero trust in any forum to begin with.

11 hours ago, Toews said:

It's rumoured that his father is seriously ill. Ryan Suter did the same when his father was sick, he chose to stay close to home. 

Suter's father was not ill - his passing caught everyone by surprise.  Nashville fans would be understanding if that had been the case. You might be confusing with Parise - although I am not sure JP had already been diagnosed before Zach returned to Minnesota.  

11 hours ago, Toews said:

I thought Vesey Sr. Works as a scout for the Leafs, and the brother is a Leaf's prospect already?  

Archived