The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN's assessment. Agree or Disagree?

HC20.0

9 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

True.  But at least it's funny.  Your claim that our prospects have never been better is an insult to the Sedins and a slap in the face to common sense.  It's not worth anything more than a meme making fun of it. 

On a side note.  Claiming that TSN, or any most other paid experts, are too stupid to understand what Benning is doing doesn't serve a purpose to the conversation either. 

The Sedins are an exemption to the rule. Look at the draft picks this team had from 1993-2013. Not many of those players who were drafted ever played for the Canucks regularly or even played for the Canucks at all. Yes, there are the Keslers, Edlers and Bieskas of that group that did achieve some success but more often than not, most picks didn't.

Now look at the picks since Gillis left. It's unbelievable how much the quality of picks has changed. Next to Quinn and Burke, Benning has shown his ability to build a prospect pool that the rest of the league should be jealous of.

9 hours ago, Jam126 said:

Answer me this:

Where was Kopitar picked?

Where was Begeron picked?

Where was Benn picked?

Where were Getzlaf and Perry picked?

Those players were acquired without the need to tank.

acquiring one of those players involve you being extremely lucky... it's almost like winning the lottery.. 

it involves team passing on the players

and involve the player reaching his full potential.. which majority don't

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

acquiring one of those players involve you being extremely lucky... it's almost like winning the lottery.. 

it involves team passing on the players

and involve the player reaching his full potential.. which majority don't

Every team has a star player that was either a late pick or undrafted.

Good drafting year after year is bound to result in one of these players being picked in that range. Going year after year with nothing to show for it in the draft will not.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Every team has a star player that was either a late pick or undrafted.

Good drafting year after year is bound to result in one of these players being picked in that range. Going year after year with nothing to show for it in the draft will not.

i wouldn't say every team have a star player thats a late pick or undrafted.. well Canucks i don't recall having a "star" player that's a late pick or undrafted at least not the 25+ years i've watched the team.. 

Bure doesn't count.. we all know the situation involve with him

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i wouldn't say every team have a star player thats a late pick or undrafted.. well Canucks i don't recall having a "star" player that's a late pick or undrafted at least not the 25+ years i've watched the team.. 

Naslund and Bert were both late first round picks. We didn't draft them but they developed here. Micheal Peca was a 40th pick and became a top defensive center. Who is going up in the ring ?????

Ohland was drafted 13th. Kesler was 21st.

People think you need to tank and draft in the top 3 to land star players but the truth is you just need to keep your 1st round picks and draft well.

12 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

The Sedins are an exemption to the rule. Look at the draft picks this team had from 1993-2013. Not many of those players who were drafted ever played for the Canucks regularly or even played for the Canucks at all. Yes, there are the Keslers, Edlers and Bieskas of that group that did achieve some success but more often than not, most picks didn't.

Now look at the picks since Gillis left. It's unbelievable how much the quality of picks has changed. Next to Quinn and Burke, Benning has shown his ability to build a prospect pool that the rest of the league should be jealous of.

That is at best, highly debatable.  At worst, totally delusional.  Outside the CDC bubble our prospect pool is seen as average. 

I couldn't agree more with the assessment.  Coaches are hired to do whatever they can with what they have to work with; GMs are hired to draft and sign players that will hopefully improve their team; and owners (well, should be just that).  Unfortunately in this city, the owners are and have been involved far too much in the everyday operations of the team. 

It would be unfair to say that the entire downfall of this team should fall on the shoulders of Linden and Benning.  The owners should just stay the !@#$%^ out of hockey operations and let their staff do their job.  However, that been said, the President and GM have an obligation to put together a team that will not embarrass the city or themselves.  Unfortunately, GMs in this city over the past number of years have done just that with their lack of effort.  I'm not saying i could do a better job, but I know I couldn't do any worse.

If people are upset about any assessment that sports analysts are saying about their team, then maybe people should take their heads out of the sand and wake up to the realization that "YES" there is a huge problem with this team, and something should be done.  At least there are people out there willing to say something.  DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!

4 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

That is at best, highly debatable.  At worst, totally delusional.  Outside the CDC bubble our prospect pool is seen as average. 

Only because our prospects have graduated while others havent. 

Hutton

Virtanen

Horvat

Could all be considered top prospects if they werent with the big club. You can even go as far as mccann.  Although benning traded him he did build by drafting him.

I can say this TSN is eastern and they do not have enough time spent in the west to understand what any team here does as the west and east are different from each other.Look what the leafs have done for years and are finally getting it.Vancouver said what they planned on doing and are doing what they preached.We have thrown a bit to much money on a few players but we had it to spend and they way i see it, having great goalies,now great D and decent forwards we are a better team since benning and linden started this.

7 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Canucks prospect pool is not one of the best in the league,but is more than respectable now.....When JB took over,it was one of the worst...

Just now, CanadianRugby said:

Yeah, because when other teams want to trade with us they don't want our prospects..:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

Only because our prospects have graduated while others havent. 

Hutton

Virtanen

Horvat

Could all be considered top prospects if they werent with the big club. You can even go as far as mccann.  Although benning traded him he did build by drafting him.

Dude hutton has played one year. some d men lose their edge.

rememebr Tyler Myers Barrett jackman both winning the Calder and looking like future Norris winners? I still want to see more of him.

Virtanen is good but he wasn't exactly great last season and horvat, yeah our best future player at the moment.

but if you think other teams are wishing they had our prospect pool (if that was indeed you who said that above or even if your inclined to agree with it) you probably haven't checked others pools.

the leafs have better prospects then us.

maybe Montreal and Edmonton are the only two Canadian teams with prospect pools worse then us. Go to hockeysfuture to read about other teams 

I think there are too many cooks and if there are not drastic changes in management it will be years of mediocrity. It seems to me they don't even want a tough gritty team. They want a fast skating play making team. We saw what happened in 2011 but management did not learn from it.

21 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Toronto Sports Network...

I could not agree more, they only want us to suffer like Toronto. We are trying a different approach by rebuilding on the fly.... I would much rather try this over suffering like leafs fans have for far too many years. Toronto lives inside a bubble and believes everyone should take the same approach they are following. Good luck to them!

15 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Bure was still a great pick, many other teams could've taken this chance but chose not to. Linden / Nedved are both good picks. So was Schnieder. 

1 hour ago, snucks said:

I think there are too many cooks and if there are not drastic changes in management it will be years of mediocrity. It seems to me they don't even want a tough gritty team. They want a fast skating play making team. We saw what happened in 2011 but management did not learn from it.

That really flies against the acquisitions of Virtanen (Ehlers and Nylander were still available),Sbisa,Gudbranson,Tryamkin,Pedan and Dorsett,even Horvat...The Leafs are the team that have more smaller skilled players. 

On 7/5/2016 at 4:44 PM, BowtieCanuck said:

Yea but I think that's more a result of the poor drafting team and GMs the Canucks have had vs the quality of players available.  There are plenty of amazing players (who're still playing btw) in those years that you're referencing.  And every year there's always a crop of players that look great, and some pan out while others not so much, it's the same each year.

I really don't think it's the pool of players that's improving, it's our selection process that's improved.

12 hours ago, snipes2539 said:

Yea but I think that's more a result of the poor drafting team and GMs the Canucks have had vs the quality of players available.  There are plenty of amazing players (who're still playing btw) in those years that you're referencing.  And every year there's always a crop of players that look great, and some pan out while others not so much, it's the same each year.

I really don't think it's the pool of players that's improving, it's our selection process that's improved.

Wholeheartedly disagree with the 'plenty of amazing players' obviously, but I do agree with the selection process being improved which means a better quality of prospect pool, which is exactly why I think what I think.

Think about it, when was the last time the Canucks had THREE rookies make the team out of the camp, without two of them being named Sedin?

Archived