The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen's role next year

ButterBean

I will reserve judgement until the preseason.  I don't think a player like JV is hurt by playing in the NHL the way someone like Baertschi or Subban is.  He can contribute with his speed and size while getting accustomed to the NHL game.  If the the coaches think he is physically and more importantly mentally, I think he should stay.  

Joe Thornton played when he was 18 but in a limited role and it didn't hurt him. He only had 7 points in 55 games and by his 4th year he was a point per game.   Jake played 55 games in his first season as well.

I don't buy into the "needs a year in Utica" stuff. Yes, there's a lot for him to learn still, but..

If he makes the team out of camp, good for him, if not, it's good that he can be sent to Utica this year.

So to answer the OP's Q before preseason, I think his role will be much the same as last year, except that if he hits a big slump he will be sent to Utica. Which wouldn't be bad at all, I just think he will make the team out of camp.

With the Canucks offseason acquisitions, it's clear that the organization is placing greater emphasis on winning than developing their prospects.  Ice time will be at a premium for them and it doesn't make sense for him to average 11:33 minutes a game in the NHL when he could be playing 18 to 20 minutes per game in key situations down in Utica.

His past two seasons have been a bit shaky with him coming off shoulder surgery in his last WHL season and having limited ice time in his rookie NHL season. It would be nice for him to go to Utica and play some heavy minutes in all situations without the glare of the Vancouver media. And it also doesn't hurt that he will have Green to mentor him as well as a solid group of guys he'll transition into the NHL with. 

4 minutes ago, BobLoblaw said:

With the Canucks offseason acquisitions, it's clear that the organization is placing greater emphasis on winning than developing their prospects.  Ice time will be at a premium for them and it doesn't make sense for him to average 11:33 minutes a game in the NHL when he could be playing 18 to 20 minutes per game in key situations down in Utica.

But with an emphasis on winning, if Jake plays better than other wingers in the bottom six...

I think we'd all like to see him become a "star" and it's popular opinion that he'll develop better in Utica, playing big minutes etc, which I can agree with, but I think JB expects JV to have a stronger season....in the NHL.

I hope he puts all the Utica talk to bed this fall by cracking the top six, scoring like a freakin' demon and hitting like a freight train!

Guess we have to wait and see...

On 09/07/2016 at 11:49 AM, ButterBean said:

So with the addition of Eriksson I assume he'll play on the top line with the Sedins. And with Baertschi/Horvat taking their spot at LW/C for the 2nd line that leaves a void at RW. I'm hoping Benning can work out a trade for a top 6 forward but he doesn't have too many expendable assets to work with outside of Tanev/Sbisa. If so I think Jake Virtanen is a perfect fit on the ice and development wise for the 3rd line along with Sutter and Hansen. 

If I'm not mistaken he was drafted as a LW and he can play a crash and bang game while chipping in some goals. Sutter can work as our best shutdown center and Hansen is a good forechecker/two-way player who brings speed as well. All the qualities you want in a 3rd line. Although I could see Virtanen playing some 2nd line with Baertschi/Horvat depending on the forwards we roll with next year and who can make the leap. Thoughts?

Virtanen's role this fall is entirely up to Virtanen.  If he outplays all of the other wingers, he can completely determine what spot he gets. Then he can let Benning decide who else he has to get rid of other than Jake.

As much as I'd like to see Virtanen with the Canucks, there are a few RWers on the team, so it would be tough for him to crack the lineup next season. Keeping Burrows may seal that.

Eriksson

Hansen

Burrows

Etem

Dorsett

Virtanen

Rodin

Grenier

Burrows and Etem could play LW if needed, I suppose. My guess is they get Virtanen out of the big city to work with Green in Utica, log a ton of big minutes, score a lot and raise his confidence even higher.  He could be a call up when injuries occur, and we don't know yet if Benning will make a trade and open up a spot for him.  

Virtanen will stay in the nhl his skating, hitting and shot is above nhl avg and he showed near the end of the year he can play in the big league but is he ready for a middle 6 role full time it's uo to this summer how much he improves his endurance and his willingness to crash the net hard and battle in front...I'm expecting him to get 10-15 goals and 15-20 assist getting 30 pts is a good year from him..anything more he's going to be a good fast.

Would like him to start the year with burrows and sutter it's gonna be a huge year playing with 2 good leaders who's defensively responsible and it would almost make him the top offensive player on the line as he learns defensively and play in the dirty areas which burrows is very good at.

Training camp with the Exhibition season will determine if Jake starts with the bigs, give him his just dues ( if it's a great camp ) in X amount of games here to decide if to extend his promotion or then to send him to Utica....Don't destroy his confidence!

He's doing the right things this Summer.  As others have said, it's up to JV to decide his own fate for the most part.  If he comes to camp fully prepared, he has a good shot at starting the Season up in the NHL.  If he isn't fully prepared or others beat him out because they've been working hard for a longer period of time, he could start in the AHL.  But no matter where he starts, it's up to him to keep working hard to either stay up or move up once the initial decision is made.  That's where listening to a guy like Burrows could help a kid like that.  Someone who worked their ass off to come undrafted up through the ECHL to make the NHL.  Here's hoping some of that character rubs off on him, because if it does, the kid has a high ceiling.  For fans, just be patient because some times these guys take a few years to develop - as one poster reminded us earlier, Joe Thornton, or as long time fans remember to our detriment, Cam Neely.  Hopefully not a Jim Sandlak (other than  that one great playoff run!)

I think the Sutter line will be 2nd. Why? He can play the same D minutes as Bo, with more experience. They will share PK time.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin

Dorsett - Granlund - Virtanen

Etem

Rodin is a bit older and more experienced against men. He will displace either Jake or Emerson. There is also the possibility of Jake going to Utica to gain a little confidence/experience. In the tail end of the season he got good but so did many other young guys. During a time where teams didn't gaf about winning games against us.

If we have a logjam it's very easy to send Jake to Utica.

I would love to see him reconnect with Bo and Sven. I see Bo as Jake's big brother. Somebody to pass him the puck but reign him in a little. Bo plays the body, too, but he's smart between whistles. Something Jake needs to learn. It's ok to be mouthy.. but you need to prove yourself as a player first. Otherwise all you are is a goon. Definitely not the role we drafted him for.

7 hours ago, luckylager said:

I don't buy into the "needs a year in Utica" stuff. Yes, there's a lot for him to learn still, but..

If he makes the team out of camp, good for him, if not, it's good that he can be sent to Utica this year.

So to answer the OP's Q before preseason, I think his role will be much the same as last year, except that if he hits a big slump he will be sent to Utica. Which wouldn't be bad at all, I just think he will make the team out of camp.

I agree, and as previously stated he needs to shoot and carry the puck more..

On 7/9/2016 at 11:49 AM, ButterBean said:

So with the addition of Eriksson I assume he'll play on the top line with the Sedins. And with Baertschi/Horvat taking their spot at LW/C for the 2nd line that leaves a void at RW. I'm hoping Benning can work out a trade for a top 6 forward but he doesn't have too many expendable assets to work with outside of Tanev/Sbisa. If so I think Jake Virtanen is a perfect fit on the ice and development wise for the 3rd line along with Sutter and Hansen. 

If I'm not mistaken he was drafted as a LW and he can play a crash and bang game while chipping in some goals. Sutter can work as our best shutdown center and Hansen is a good forechecker/two-way player who brings speed as well. All the qualities you want in a 3rd line. Although I could see Virtanen playing some 2nd line with Baertschi/Horvat depending on the forwards we roll with next year and who can make the leap. Thoughts?

Hearing the veterans talk about how Virt wasn't putting in the effort, I think camp will dictate his future.  If he comes into camp with the right attitude and months of work showing, he'll start in Vancouver.  If he shows up with the same work ethic and preparation, he'll land in Utica no matter what.  The message has to be sent for him to know there's no gimmes.  We want him to bring his best, not "good enough" for the NHL.

Archived