The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen's role next year

ButterBean

Let's take advantage of the beautiful gift we received this summer when every NHL coaching position was filled without Travis Green leaving Utica.

This guy and his staff have resurrected guys who I thought were done and made them into professionals. Even Linden Vey of all people looked like a completely different player after his stint in Utica. Please, please send Jake down so his development is put ahead of the win Column. 

Big Country's role is to train hard, play hard, learn as much as he can and listen to whomever is coaching him. As others have said perhaps Utica, Junior Championship then Nhl at the tdl would be best for his career.

Injuries and not much depth mean he will probably play most of the year here and then we can debate how that affected him for years here. Good times.

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Let's take advantage of the beautiful gift we received this summer when every NHL coaching position was filled without Travis Green leaving Utica.

This guy and his staff have resurrected guys who I thought were done and made them into professionals. Even Linden Vey of all people looked like a completely different player after his stint in Utica. Please, please send Jake down so his development is put ahead of the win Column. 

For sure. And when/if Green eventually takes over the Canucks, won't hurt to already have that relationship with Jake

As others have pointed out, it depends almost entirely on him. At training camp, if he outplays the others competing for his job, it is unlikely that he will be sent down. One interesting thing about Jake is that he may need somewhat different handling than some other players.

Remember when he came back to the Canucks after the (was it the World Juniors?) and the media were slamming him for not producing? Some players would have withdrawn into their shells after that kind of treatment. Jake, however, seemed to thrive on the abuse, determined to prove himself and came out just flying, playing his best hockey of the year.

He might be the type of player who responds better to being whipped, Torts style, rather than being coddled as some young players need to be. Fortunately both JB and TG are excellent at developing young players, so whether he starts the year in Vancouver or Utica, I am sure he will continue to progress next year.

I think he will be fine if he learns to play consistently game in and game out. I'd stays mean without the puck and keeps hitting he can be a big factor even without scoring chances.

That being said I think he starts on the third line and moves up if they need a spark.

Having offense from the third line is never a bad thing anyways... you win a lot of playoff games this way.

Sedins Erikson

Bear Sutter rodin

Virt Horvat hansen

Blah blah blah

Bears chi and rodin are not bottom six players so you at least need to give them the rope first and then make a trade if they are not progressing offensively.

As others have said tho if Virt has a great camp Benning will have to make a decision...

According to family friends Jake is training like a fiend and is determined to make big strides this year.  Last season he showed flashes of brilliance but he was unprepared for the level of fitness required to play at a consistent level game in and game out at the NHL level.  I'm with others on this post that think training camp will dictate where he plays this season.  If WD thinks Jake will help the team on the Canucks he will be here.  If they think he needs development on the farm then he will be in Utica.  I for one would love to see him kill it this season playing on the wing in the middle six of the Canucks.  

he's physically ready for the NHL but he's not mentally ready and showed zero consistency out there last year.. he was good and noticeable once in a while and then disappear for a few games and shows up again.. his presence needs to be felt even if he's not scoring and that wasn't the case last year.. start the year in AHL and make him earn his way up so he learns he need to compete 100% every night and his spot on the roster ain't free just coz he's a high 1st round draft pick.

Let's see how he does in camp and preseason first. If he falters, then we can send him down to Utica to play big offensive minutes and bring him back up when he's more confident and ready to go.

That's the luxury of having Travis Green B)

27 minutes ago, ArcticSpencer said:

Yea take out our only power forward from the line up .... That will sure make our team harder to play against. Terrible Idea. 

...if he blows them away at camp and makes the team..good.....but if he is borderline NHL calibre like he was most of last year...its a good idea.

We all love Horvat and call him the most exciting player to watch on the canucks. I say the same thing for Virtanen. even tho he's not producing points like most people want, i still love watching him play. Still not a complete NHL player but so what. he brings youth, energy, and speed to the team. and the experience in the NHL will eventually make him a better player. i read earlier on this thread that he might turnout to be a Torres at best. to be honest with you, i wouldnt mine that ^_^. i wish we still had that guy on our team (still miss the guy). but we all know that Virtanen has way more skills, so eventually his goals and points will come.

Really excited to see him next year on the canucks where i can see him play and not in the AHL where they don't even broadcast the games here.... PLAY HARD JAKE!!!

Virtanen's role is to develop and get stronger, faster, more consistent. He's going to do that playing big minutes, in important roles in Utica. He may have a good camp but I think unless it's unreal he should go back to Utica and learn to dominate and destroy there at a high level. Are we gonna make the playoffs because of him next year? Are we going to win a cup because of him next year? No. We might win a few more games or score a few more times but this is a marathon not a sprint when it comes to development. I'd rather have him learn to own and control the game and play consistently than have a few more goals and watch him play on the third line. Takes longer, but I'm willing to wait.

Archived