The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen Vs Etem

dpn1

3 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Oh the irony. Complaining about spelling mistakes while making multiple grammatical errors yourself.

There's actually a name for this: it's called Muphry's Law, which states that any attempt to correct or ridicule the spelling or grammar mistake of another will ALWAYS contain a spelling error of its own.

The only reason he was kept up last year was because Benning didn't want the Flames to ruin his development. From what I remember after we drafted him he was being played in a lesser role with less skilled linemates. So the Flames were up to something.

Unless he shines in the preseason I'd say he will play top line minutes in Utica.

5 hours ago, mll said:

Etem is not taking a spot over Virtanen - they have much higher expectations for Virtanen.  For Etem, WD talks of making hits and blocking shots and says he is trying to change his game to fit in - I don't think they see Etem as a scorer at this level but more as an energy player that can wear down the opponents.

Virtanen on the other hand will be a productive player.  He needs to be developed into the power forward they envision him to become and he's much better off playing a lot of minutes in Utica.  

Last year he only played 11:30 with pretty much everyone on pretty much every line.  He's not going to develop consistency or be able to progress with that limited ice time but also by playing with so many different linemates with some being just as inconsistent as he is himself.  

If Virtanen stays they should try and play him besides two vets who bring stability and consistency and can mentor him on the ice.  He started with Burrows and Sutter but then Sutter got injured - so maybe that was the plan all along. 

I'm torn on this.  I think he needs a tonne of reps with the puck, and that would suggest the minors, but on the other hand, you don't always get the puck more in the minors, because of who you're out there with.

I'm torn as to what I'd do, but I'm certain that the Canucks aren't.  He's already the fastest skater and best hitter on the team and I think that there is no way he doesn't make the opening roster.  His first forecheck is gonna light up the building.  I'm calling 2nd line with Sutter and Burrows.  I just hope that he goes ape on offense rather than looking for the smart play.  I want to see him lower the shoulder and drive, and wire that puck, on every shift.  Just like when we watched Bertuzzi build the confidence to hog the puck a bit and bully the D.  (I could be getting ahead of myself here.)

1 minute ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

I'm torn on this.  I think he needs a tonne of reps with the puck, and that would suggest the minors, but on the other hand, you don't always get the puck more in the minors, because of who you're out there with.

I'm torn as to what I'd do, but I'm certain that the Canucks aren't.  He's already the fastest skater and best hitter on the team and I think that there is no way he doesn't make the opening roster.  His first forecheck is gonna light up the building.  I'm calling 2nd line with Sutter and Burrows.  I just hope that he goes ape on offense rather than looking for the smart play.  I want to see him lower the shoulder and drive, and wire that puck, on every shift.  Just like when we watched Bertuzzi build the confidence to hog the puck a bit and bully the D.  (I could be getting ahead of myself here.)

I'm excited about JV too.  There were those games last Jan and Feb too wet our appetites.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm excited about JV too.  There were those games last Jan and Feb too wet our appetites.

stoked as well but I do hope they make the right decision for him  long term ...  Im not saying I know what that is but I hope the folks  in charge do ..  

This guy could be a beast for years to come  

I wonder, Virtanen was basically a regular all of the last season (55 games anyway), and he did well. Fast forward a few months, Virtanen's bulked up even more and has been hitting the gym daily. Maybe he's also grown up a bit and learned a lot about what not to do from last year. I would love it if he impressed at camp and worked hard enough to deserve the 2RW spot. Canucks don't have a lot of GOOD options at that position (Hansen) and it would be a nice break if Virtanen stepped up.

I have a feeling Rodin won't see Canucks action and will bolt back to Europe.  

3 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

I'm torn as to what I'd do, but I'm certain that the Canucks aren't.  He's already the fastest skater and best hitter on the team and I think that there is no way he doesn't make the opening roster.  His first forecheck is gonna light up the building.  I'm calling 2nd line with Sutter and Burrows.  I just hope that he goes ape on offense rather than looking for the smart play.  I want to see him lower the shoulder and drive, and wire that puck, on every shift.  Just like when we watched Bertuzzi build the confidence to hog the puck a bit and bully the D.  (I could be getting ahead of myself here

I'm with ya man. 

On one hand you have offensive development because of "quality ice time" in Utica, but on the other - he has unique qualities / abilities no other player on the Canucks possess. 

To me it all comes down to training camp and Jake outplaying Etem, Rodin, Burrows and Dors. There is no way he gets sent down if he contributes more to the middle six than those guys, regardless of development. JB has a win now mandate....

1 hour ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Hansen had more goals than Eriksson last year at EV while playing 15 games less - 20 EV goals in 67 games for Hansen vs 18 EV goals for Eriksson in 82 games.  It might be better to keep Hansen with the Sedins (Daniel talks of how he brings much needed speed to his line) and just have them together on the PP.

It would allow to have a better balance on the different lines while also focusing on development instead of going top-6 vets / bottom-6 'kids'.  

Sedin Sedin Hansen

2a Baertschi Horvat Eriksson

2b Burrows Sutter Virtanen  - which was the line before Sutter got his first injury. 

x x Dorsett

41 minutes ago, mll said:

Hansen had more goals than Eriksson last year at EV while playing 15 games less - 20 EV goals in 67 games for Hansen vs 18 EV goals for Eriksson in 82 games.  It might be better to keep Hansen with the Sedins (Daniel talks of how he brings much needed speed to his line) and just have them together on the PP.

It would allow to have a better balance on the different lines while also focusing on development instead of going top-6 vets / bottom-6 'kids'.  

Sedin Sedin Hansen

2a Baertschi Horvat Eriksson

2b Burrows Sutter Virtanen  - which was the line before Sutter got his first injury. 

x x Dorsett

Put Granlund and Etem or Rodin with Dorsett and you have another developmental line that can score if sheltered properly.

3 hours ago, Hortankin said:

The only reason he was kept up last year was because Benning didn't want the Flames to ruin his development. From what I remember after we drafted him he was being played in a lesser role with less skilled linemates. So the Flames were up to something.

Unless he shines in the preseason I'd say he will play top line minutes in Utica.

tinfoilhat1.png

You can't unbake a cake. Putting Virtanen into the AHL at the point will not help his growth. He needs to learn the NHL game more, he doesn't need to gain size, he needs to gain the ability to play and follow the NHL game. He's not Gilbert Brule, he will be able to adapt MUCH better to the NHL, even though he was rushed.

Archived