The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] - Sheppard & Korpikowski PTO

Lui's Knob

It's not only a no risk chance to evaluate a player, but it at least gives these guys a chance to showcase themselves to the rest of the league. Don't really think there is much room and wouldn't want it to affect the playing time too much of some of our younger guys trying to prove themselves. Although, may get them to push themselves that much harder in camp.

1 minute ago, wshdrvvn said:

Santorelli wasn't a PTO invite though. He was just assumed to be AHL depth. 

Virtually a PTO,

Probably a better scenario for us.  Two way contract with a min NHL salary. He was thus committed to our system for little risk if he did not make it. Albeit would have had to pass through waivers to go to the minors.

And, you know, he won a roster spot he was not expected to. Still proving you bring guys in and give them a shot.

On Saturday, September 03, 2016 at 10:22 PM, Alflives said:

I don't see that getting us in position to trade for a top six (young) forward though.  I guess we could sign Russel (is he signed yet?) and trade Edler or - more likely - Tanev?   Yes, I could see that.  Do you think Russel could replace Edler's minutes?

Trading Edler and a pick would be the best way of landing a top 6 forward and in turn getting Russell they'd actually be stronger defensively and overall a win win. 

12 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Granlund is prob the most ideal 4th line ctr we could have. Im actually looking forward to a 4th line of :

Etem Granlund Dorsett

Really? That could be a modern version if you replaced Dorsett with a guy who has a little more skill.

In terms of traditional 4th lines and having guys with size who can fore check and hit and have some speed and grit  Granny does not fit any of those boxes.

11 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

Trading Edler and a pick would be the best way of landing a top 6 forward and in turn getting Russell they'd actually be stronger defensively and overall a win win. 

Please, phone JB and explain that concept to him.  Or, have a face to face sit down so you can use pictures. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Please, phone JB and explain that concept to him.  Or, have a face to face sit down so you can use pictures. :lol:

Although Edler has a NMC, there is a strong possibility that JB has shopped him around (selectively) but hasn't found a deal that he likes.  He clearly has an objective to improve the team and will make a trade if he can achieve that (ie Guds/McCaan).   

Not sure why people think signing Russell is an improvement over Edler.  Adding a whopping 5'10 and 170lbs player who is the same age as Edler to team defence is questionable.  I suspect the reason Russell doesn't have a contract yet is because he's holding out for $$$ and term.  He will certainly do ++ better than his last contract in today market.

BTW, I also disagree that JB is an idiot like you suggest. 

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Although Edler has a NMC, there is a strong possibility that JB has shopped him around (selectively) but hasn't found a deal that he likes.  He clearly has an objective to improve the team and will make a trade if he can achieve that (ie Guds/McCaan).   

Not sure why people think signing Russell is an improvement over Edler.  Adding a whopping 5'10 and 170lbs player who is the same age as Edler to team defence is questionable.  I suspect the reason Russell doesn't have a contract yet is because he's holding out for $$$ and term.  He will certainly do ++ better than his last contract in today market.

BTW, I also disagree that JB is an idiot like you suggest. 

I called JB an idiot?  Simple maybe, but not an idiot.

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I called JB an idiot?  Simple maybe, but not an idiot.

I think JB is neither simple nor an idiot, in fact he is a genius. The problems he's encountering with media criticism and fan impatience is that it takes genius to spot genius and there are very few of us around.::D

A big reason we need some PTOs is the World Cup is on and with so many guys from our team there we need bodies to fill out the roster especially with all the back to back games in preseason and split squad game.  If a PTO comes in and shows he's better than someone else, then they'll be getting a contract. Players go on PTOs to show the league they still have it, not necessarily the team they are trying out for.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Like I said, he's simple.  idiot implies a lack of intelligence, like a moron.  Or one who displays inappropriate behaviour, like a buffoon.  JB is neither of those - he's simple.  You don't think he's simple?  

1 hour ago, mpt said:

A big reason we need some PTOs is the World Cup is on and with so many guys from our team there we need bodies to fill out the roster especially with all the back to back games in preseason and split squad game.  If a PTO comes in and shows he's better than someone else, then they'll be getting a contract. Players go on PTOs to show the league they still have it, not necessarily the team they are trying out for.

Seriously? Canucks will play their prospects. No better time.

On September 4, 2016 at 11:48 AM, BananaMash said:

And Brendan Morrison, who will out perform Shaefer in every way imaginable but still not be the one offered a contract.

I think he was offered a 2 way which he rightfully declined.  That really was a head shaker as he really looked good at camp. 

35 minutes ago, sonoman said:

I think he was offered a 2 way which he rightfully declined.  That really was a head shaker as he really looked good at camp. 

And then he lit it up on the Flames bottom 6 that year. One of the mg moves I absolutely hated. The move was equally as bad as 80% of the contracts Jimbo and Trev hand out 

Archived