The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Kucherov Offer Sheet?

Provost

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

This would be a year to do it as there isn't expected to be near the draft talent, especially at the top end as the last couple years.  Even if the very worst case scenario happens and you win the lottery... Kucherov>Nolan Patrick

100%. We won't get a top 10 pick anyway unless we just miss the playoffs and get extremely lucky. I'm expecting us to pick 14-24 this year (hopefully 30!).. Kucherov would make this team way better, he is always Tampa best player when I've watched them. Great playoff performer too! Who cares about a 1st and 3rd when we're talking Kucherov people! Especially this year! Heck I'd even throw in the 2nd for $&!# and giggles lol

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Baertschi Horvat Kucherov

Virtanen Sutter Hansen

Etem Granlund Rodin

Burrows/Dorsett

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not sure that would work for us capwise? We've got a bunch of RFA's we've gotta re-sign pretty quick and we've got just under 3.5m in cap space remaining? Miller should be gone next season and if Burrows sticks around he'll be a lot cheaper but still, fitting in Kucherov on top of all that? It'd be tight.

If anything I'd rather attempt a trade and move bodies, and Stevie Y isn't someone I'd wanna mess with.

Beside Horvat, none of them should earn a big pay raise.   Horvat and Hutton should have decent bridge contracts.   Also the Baerstchi bridge @1.85M is a blessing since it pretty much set the bar for the others.

If we can poach Kucherov...then we can afford losing Gaunce, Etem, Pedan, Rodin for picks or other prospects.

1 minute ago, thejazz97 said:

Bud. Kuch would be on the first line easy.

I don't know....I would rather keep Eriksson with the Sedins because we know they have chemistry together. 

Put Kucherov with Bear and Bo and that turns into a deadly 2nd line...the kind people give nicknames to. 

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Is he playing on Tampa 1st?  He's not playing with Stamkos I believe?

I guess it would be 1A-1B scenario giving the chemistry of Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson.

He got more points than Stamkos last year IIRC.

5 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I don't know....I would rather keep Eriksson with the Sedins because we know they have chemistry together. 

Put Kucherov with Bear and Bo and that turns into a deadly 2nd line...the kind people give nicknames to. 

That'd be amazing, still, but I'm not sure if he'd sign for confirmed 2nd line minutes.

37 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Bud. Kuch would be on the first line easy.

Actually I think the distinction would be relatively meaningless as they would get similar ice time in that lineup.

You try out the different combinations and see what works best, but having the Sedins be able to only play 17 minutes a night (same as a "2nd" line) means that they would be way more effective over the course of a season compared with the heavy minutes they are going to have to log this year as it stands.

3rd line becomes a shut down line that gets all the defensive faceoffs and assignments along with the PK duties, they average 15 minutes a night.... leaving a solid 10-11 minutes a night for the 4th line.

Conversely, Kucherov plays the other wing as well so you could spread some scoring around the entire top 9 and mix up youngsters a vets a little more.  Adding a top end talent gives you a ton of options, having him develop more on the left also sets up with a future top line with Boeser on the right side.

Sedin-Sedin-Erikkson

Kucherov-Horvat-Hansen

Baertschi-Sutter-Virtanen/Rodin

Burrows-Granlund-Virtanen/Dorsett

Etem-Gaunce

26 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Beside Horvat, none of them should earn a big pay raise.   Horvat and Hutton should have decent bridge contracts.   Also the Baerstchi bridge @1.85M is a blessing since it pretty much set the bar for the others.

If we can poach Kucherov...then we can afford losing Gaunce, Etem, Pedan, Rodin for picks or other prospects.

This kind of move would allow for even bolder moves re: Miller trade for picks an or prospect .Markstrom becomes starter. (Onus on team players past best before due date,or underachieving to date .thinking out loud trade or move Burrows cap free up trade ?

it would also mean tomorrow starts today.

Kucherov is a very special player , this allows pressure to be taken of Sedin line 

(one can only dream at this point in time)

25 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Well, you've got me there. We don't have to keep the RFA's. I'm not as sold on Baerstchi setting the bar from bridge contracts though, how Horvat and Hutton progress this season is a bit of a wildcard. Then you've got Gudbranson as our other key RFA. It's doable but I'm not sold on as I don't think he's the guy Tampa would let go anyway. I think they'd move Palat or Bishop over Kucherov. He's more dynamic for them.

To me the question is the value of our 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks.  What could we get if we were to dangle that on the open market? If Kucherov is a definitive target then great, but is there not someone who is better value?  I'm not suggesting there is, but it certainly raises the question.  I would be leery to make an offersheet, it seems like bad value unless you are specifically targeting a player for a specific role.  "Scoring" isn't specific enough of a role for the cost of Kucherov. 

1 hour ago, JohnLocke said:

If we should offer sheet anyone, it's Gaudreau. 

Sign him for 8.5milx8.

If Calgary matches, we've managed to screw Calgary for the next 8 years.

If Calgary doesn't match, we get Johnny Hockey. 

Then Calgary comes back next summer and screws us over by signing one of our RFAs. Kucherov checks almost everything off that Benning is looking for. I wouldn't like an offer sheet, so I'd definetly try a trade. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Tankers should take note of where he was drafted as well.

Yeah, he definitely supports the argument that you don't need to be drafting top-5 overall to find top level talent in the draft.

Of course, the counter argument is just how important it is to hold on to those 2nd round picks (where this organization has only picked twice in the past seven drafts).

You have to really trust your scouting to pick a guy like Kucherov in the first round. But he's exactly the type of player that makes a great bet in the second round. Having two (or more) top-60 picks allows a team to draft more risk/reward types (especially skilled undersized forwards) after they've secured a more typical "blue chip" type with their first selection. 

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, he definitely supports the argument that you don't need to be drafting top-5 overall to find top level talent in the draft.

Of course, the counter argument is just how important it is to hold on to those 2nd round picks (where this organization has only picked twice in the past seven drafts).

You have to really trust your scouting to pick a guy like Kucherov in the first round. But he's exactly the type of player that makes a great bet in the second round. Having two (or more) top-60 picks allows a team to draft more risk/reward types (especially skilled undersized forwards) after they've secured a more typical "blue chip" type with their first selection. 

I think moving forward, we're going to see that change now that Bennig has largely filled the age gap.

Archived