The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Opening Roster - Finalized

Ossi Vaananen

8 minutes ago, TheInsideScoop said:

I think Bo, and all of our players should be put in the positions conducive to their strengths. Bo has a great defensive game, but has shown an increasing offensive prowess. I think he should be put in a situation which will allow him to fosters that potential, as that it exactly what the team needs right now.

Ever thought that Willie sees strengths Horvat has yet to exploit and is putting him in a position to nurture those?

Green did it with Gaunce, putting him on the wing to use his size and speed and he's a Canuck now because of it.  Everyone thinks Green is a genius for that.  Meanwhile Baertschi, Granlund, Hutton, Markstrom and Horvat have all developed like CRAZY in a short while under Willie and it's assumed they've all done it despite him.

Take the blinders off kids.  Willie D has been instrumental in development here.

2 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Ever thought that Willie sees strengths Horvat has yet to exploit and is putting him in a position to nurture those?

Green did it with Gaunce, putting him on the wing to use his size and speed and he's a Canuck now because of it.  Everyone thinks Green is a genius for that.  Meanwhile Baertschi, Granlund, Hutton, Markstrom and Horvat have all developed like CRAZY in a short while under Willie and it's assumed they've all done it despite him.

Take the blinders off kids.  Willie D has been instrumental in development here.

Not saying Willie has not helped players develop. Are saying that putting Bo on our 4th is best for him and our team?

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yes, other teams have been rebuilding longer than us.  I just don't see the elite forward talent in our prospects that those other teams have.  And if we push for the playoffs by signing older guys, where will these future elite stars come from?  We will not get the high draft picks.  I appreciate your thoughts JR, but I don't see us getting elite talent drafting in the middle.

Aguy by the name of Brock Boeser might have something to say about that. I don't get you sometimes I've clearly read posts of you gushing over him. Now you don't think he is an elite top line guy if he reaches his potential? Which by the way prospects on other teams also have to hit their potential.As for drafting in the middle well see above name, as well as guys like Larkon Colton paryoko Kucherov. Hutton, I could go on and on, but I hope that was enough examples. Oh and demko. All those guys drafted were either mid 1sts or second and beyond.  If only we had a gm who was known for his uncanny skill of finding these gems, or be willing to sign a Rusky who is a known flight risk. OH wait we do have one:P 

2 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I think tp would have to stay up though no? Then he still wouldn't be a "call up".

As low as everyone's patience is. This year is just gonna be another transition year and hopefully next season Brock makes the team.

Yeah if would waive a player we pick up from waivers, the team that originally waived gets first chance to get him back and can assign to the AHL right away. 

17 minutes ago, TheInsideScoop said:

Not saying Willie has not helped players develop. Are saying that putting Bo on our 4th is best for him and our team?

Maybe not long term or we are in trouble I see him as a better Ryan Kesler sooner than later. Until Rodin is back and we see what kind of line the 3rd turns out to be. I really hope it is Virt not skille on it. If the 3rd line doesn't gel we switch them up and put Bo on the 3rd Virt or Hanson (once Rodin comes back) can slide down to the 4th, waive skille and have Dorsett as our 13th forward Or if Skille is doing well. Waive Dorsett. I don't see this as a bad thing temperoraly. Having $good lines to start until we see who is better where. Is not the end of the world. 

I think same approach with the D. If Sbisa and or Larsson suck I have faith JB will put in Tram and call up Troy without even blinking.  He waived Etem to allow someone else more deserving. Last year wqe were stuck with playing youth out of posititon. this year seem like a bit of a different feel. Gaunce and Granny earned 3rd line minutes. Bo will never lose his offense, it might be stifled a bit 5 0n 5, but he still has the pp and besides Kesler started out on the 4th We have a chance to tweek on the fly. While at the same time not really damaging our chance to compete every night.

Guys!! Line #'s are just a flipping #!!!! What counts is how you perform with your linemates! Burrows and Dorsett are proven veterans that can help Horvat develop too! Ever thought of that?? Spread the offense around! Let Granlund have his little fun with Baertschi and Virtanen and see how that goes!

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yes, other teams have been rebuilding longer than us.  I just don't see the elite forward talent in our prospects that those other teams have.  And if we push for the playoffs by signing older guys, where will these future elite stars come from?  We will not get the high draft picks.  I appreciate your thoughts JR, but I don't see us getting elite talent drafting in the middle.

Once again Alf, only 3 of the leagues top 10 producers last season were drafted where you believe is the only place to get elite talent. Boeser has 6 points in his first 2 games this season. You don't think this kid is something to be excited about?

2 hours ago, TheInsideScoop said:

I think Bo, and all of our players should be put in the positions conducive to their strengths. Bo has a great defensive game, but has shown an increasing offensive prowess. I think he should be put in a situation which will allow him to fosters that potential, as that it exactly what the team needs right now.

The problem is when Bo focused on offense last year his defensive game slid. Willie has mentioned this several times. What he needs to learn is maintaining the defensive side while providing offense as well. It's how Kelser became a Selke calibre player. Kesler didn't start off playing second line. Would you rather have a player that scores a goal but gives up 2, or a player that scores a goal and gives up nothing. Willie wants Bo to develop into that second guy because he has the tools to do it.

It wouldn't be the first time someone learned to do their job better by being forced to take on a role that could be construed as beneath them.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

The problem is when Bo focused on offense last year his defensive game slid. Willie has mentioned this several times. What he needs to learn is maintaining the defensive side while providing offense as well. It's how Kelser became a Selke calibre player. Kesler didn't start off playing second line. Would you rather have a player that scores a goal but gives up 2, or a player that scores a goal and gives up nothing. Willie wants Bo to develop into that second guy because he has the tools to do it.

22 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

It wouldn't be the first time someone learned to do their job better by being forced to take on a role that could be construed as beneath them.

All I'm getting at, is that is seems to be quite an extreme. I definitely appreciate that he is trying to make him more well rounded. I just feel he might robbing Peter to pay Paul a little much ........ Peter is the offensive side of his game :) 

saying that, I'm not some WD hater, and it is early, so I guess we'll see how it pans out

All I'm getting at, is that is seems to be quite an extreme. I definitely appreciate that he is trying to make him more well rounded. I just feel he might robbing Peter to pay Paul a little much ........ Peter is the offensive side of his game :) 

saying that, I'm not some WD hater, and it is early, so I guess we'll see how it pans out

I think once Rodin is back, and the 3rd line has had a chance together WD will go from there. The way I see it is if we end up with 3 solid top 9 lines plus a 4th that will ger a lot of minutes. If Rodin sticks a top 6. We can send down Virt or Hanson waive skille or Dorsett , A 4th line of either Burr Bo Virt. or Burr  Bo and Hansen is a really good line who I would expect to get equal minutes with the 3rd plus weaker matchups. Plus Bo still gonna have pp time. We all know Bo isn't a 4th line guy, but if it betters the team and still keeps bow to work on his D , while still getting good minutes with Burr and Hansen or Virt imo  he should get plenty off chances. 

good on WD to take the heat he knows he is getting for what he thinks is the best for the club and for Bo long term.

3 hours ago, bp79 said:

I think once Rodin is back, and the 3rd line has had a chance together WD will go from there. The way I see it is if we end up with 3 solid top 9 lines plus a 4th that will ger a lot of minutes. If Rodin sticks a top 6. We can send down Virt or Hanson waive skille or Dorsett , A 4th line of either Burr Bo Virt. or Burr  Bo and Hansen is a really good line who I would expect to get equal minutes with the 3rd plus weaker matchups. Plus Bo still gonna have pp time. We all know Bo isn't a 4th line guy, but if it betters the team and still keeps bow to work on his D , while still getting good minutes with Burr and Hansen or Virt imo  he should get plenty off chances. 

good on WD to take the heat he knows he is getting for what he thinks is the best for the club and for Bo long term.

Send down Hansen one of our most versatile wingers? there are a pile of guys beneath him on the pecking order.

4 hours ago, bp79 said:

Stopped reading at "we could send down Hansen".

12 hours ago, bp79 said:

Aguy by the name of Brock Boeser might have something to say about that. I don't get you sometimes I've clearly read posts of you gushing over him. Now you don't think he is an elite top line guy if he reaches his potential? Which by the way prospects on other teams also have to hit their potential.As for drafting in the middle well see above name, as well as guys like Larkon Colton paryoko Kucherov. Hutton, I could go on and on, but I hope that was enough examples. Oh and demko. All those guys drafted were either mid 1sts or second and beyond.  If only we had a gm who was known for his uncanny skill of finding these gems, or be willing to sign a Rusky who is a known flight risk. OH wait we do have one:P 

I know you're right bp, but all this hype over McJesus, 18 year old Sam Bennet, Macwinning, and now (ugh) Mattnificant has me in the dumper. 

Could this questionable move caused by the teams around  us.

We saw how skillfull the teams are around us and looking back at the 2nd period against the Oilers, the possession was 15% to 85% for the Oilers. Now if Bo Horvat is going to be our 2nd line center and will be getting 18-20mins a game in the future when we most likely will get dominated in puck possession this move could actually be a freaking genius when Dorsett and Burrows are not possession type of players.

I think WD knows that Horvat has some offense but he also knows that the teams around us are much talented offensively and is trying to counter that with a better defense. If granlund, actually produces offense while Horvath is at 4th, then that might be a good sign as well.

Archived