The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Minnesota Claim F Teemu Pulkkinen Off Waivers

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

Project failed.  But you can't deny that Minny did a smart thing by claiming the player, giving him a look, and determining whether or not he works with their roster.  In this case, no, he didn't, so they waive him, but it cost nothing to acquire him so why not give it a shot?

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

Pretty much true.

I'll add that it's rather futile (not worthless necessarily, but futile) for GM's to think they know better than legendary GM's such as Ken Holland.  When Holland puts a guy on waivers, it's for a reason and that reason isn't that he's trying to 'pull a fast one' on his GM counterparts. 

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Funny how Dave Tomlinson was putting him in his place

i totally agree with Dave. We lose three games and everybody is freaking out.

At this point in the season, unless you are 100 percent sure hes better than what you have, stay the course. 

If he is not in your top nine forward group than don't bother. Detroit was not in a position to use him where he'd succeed with them, Minnesota has also found out playing him under 10 mins a game won't work. 

His defense has actually improved as has his skating but unless he continues to improve overall he won't get to earn a spot in a top nine role. Some team with a major injury to a top winger should look at claiming him for the time being to provide offense.

Thinking Dallas, Boston, Buffalo, Florida, the Kings or even Pittsburgh.

On 2016-10-29 at 9:33 AM, Mackcanuck said:

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib  27m27 minutes ago

#mnwild's Teemu Pulkkinen clears waivers, will be assigned to Iowa. #redwings had first priority to get him back.

I find this very frustrating. We currently have Burr Dorsett Rodin Megna and potentially Gaunce injured and we let this kid slip by twice. We literally have 9 healthy NHL forwards and Virtanen is a debatable if he would be better served in the A soooooooo lets play Zalewski Skille Biega and let Pulkkinen keep passing by. Whats the worst that could happen if he doesn't work out send him packing at least he has a better chance of making an NHL career than any of those guys.

27 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

So much for Detroit's "Keep em' in the minors till their 40" strategy

When was the last time they missed the playoffs? I think it's pretty safe to say that Canuck fans are about the last group of people who can look down on Detroit's development strategy. 

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

When was the last time they missed the playoffs? I think it's pretty safe to say that Canuck fans are about the last group of people who can look down on Detroit's development strategy. 

That wasn't my point, which is this: With top end salaries hogging larger percentage of any teams payroll, teams like Detroit are going to have to make quicker decisions on whether a player has a future with them, otherwise they with be forced to jettison players  for cap reasons at disadvantageous times.  Detroit could have shined this guy up and traded him in years passed.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib  20m20 minutes ago

#mnwild winger Teemu Pulkkinen named AHL Player of the Week. 5 goals (2 GWG) and 2 assists in 4 games; he led the A in goals 2 yrs ago

I'm still shocked the wings didn't re-claim him when he got waived... just makes no sense. 

Even us not re-claiming etem... 

guess Aquaman and whoever owns the Wings (illitch something?), wanted to save a little cash? 

Archived