The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake on the PP

Rush17

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

I am a big fan, but he is going to be an IR mainstay. With his game, its inevitable.

I know this isn't ideal or popular, but trade this guy!

I don't think trading JV is wise.  Guys with his size, aggressive mean nature, shot and skill set are almost impossible to find.  Best to keep, him see what he becomes.  His ceiling is just way too incredibly high to trade away as a 20 year old.  However, if he returned a young centre, with first line potential, then maybe JB should consider it.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Ohh toilet humour, not my thing, but whatever gives you a chuckle.

Terribly sorry there old boy

Forgot this forum was such a high class locale full of culture and the like.

I shall remove myself and hy off to the bastion of civility that is the Trump V Clinton thread instead

Good day

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Terribly sorry there old boy

Forgot this forum was such a high class locale full of culture and the like.

I shall remove myself and hy off to the bastion of civility that is the Trump V Clinton thread instead

Good day

No apologies needed, just not my thing.

4 hours ago, flat land fish said:

I thought he did a good job of finishing his checks last night, my surround sound kicked off lots of board rattling when jake was on the ice.  If you watched in isolation he was often the third man high which tells you the coaching staff is looking for jake to be the defensive conscious of that line.

Frankly, Jake only woke up and realised the game had started after he was banjoed in the first period. That was disappointing. This sounds too much like Kassian  :o but he needs to get his head in the game.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don't think trading JV is wise.  Guys with his size, aggressive mean nature, shot and skill set are almost impossible to find.  Best to keep, him see what he becomes.  His ceiling is just way too incredibly high to trade away as a 20 year old.  However, if he returned a young centre, with first line potential, then maybe JB should consider it.

Trading Jake could easily be the next Cam Neely trade of our club.  Wow. 

It took Hank and Danny 5  years to figure out how to produce in the NHL.

Patience people......   Year 2 for the Virt. Year 2 .     

5 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

I don't think he'll be suited to PP. He's a pure north south player. He has to learn how to cycle and be comfortable at using he's body on the boards to protect the puck. Right now, he focuses so much on hitting than actually take control of the puck

The power play is a shooting play, not board play. Ovie and Stammer do not cycle. They slot and shoot. No one has a better shot on this team than Jake. Ergo Jake should be on the pp. 

35 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Trading Jake could easily be the next Cam Neely trade of our club.  Wow. 

It took Hank and Danny 5  years to figure out how to produce in the NHL.

Patience people......   Year 2 for the Virt. Year 2 .     

Would JB consider Sam Reinhart straight across for Jake?  That's the type of trade I was referring to.  Only trade JV if the return is a young (potential) # 1 centre.  Otherwise no chance JV is moved.

Virtanen hasn't really warranted any reason to be on a PP unit. Once Rodin gets back he will probably be slotted in for somebody in the 2nd unit anyway and Jake should be in Utica where he can actually play top 6 minutes, get some PP time and get some of that gud Green down there.

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Virtanen hasn't really warranted any reason to be on a PP unit. Once Rodin gets back he will probably be slotted in for somebody in the 2nd unit anyway and Jake should be in Utica where he can actually play top 6 minutes, get some PP time and get some of that gud Green down there.

Warranted? We had one of the worst PPs last yeat without Jake on it. I think he deserves by default and skill set.

16 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

Warranted? We had one of the worst PPs last yeat without Jake on it. I think he deserves by default and skill set.

I highly doubt Jake would save our 2nd unit PP, not that it needs any saving to begin with. Also, like I said, It won't matter because when Rodin gets back as he will more than likely be slotted in to the 2nd unit PP.

Jake needs to be in the AHL where he can actually get top 6 minutes and develop properly.

I don't think the timing is right to put Jake on the power play yet. He hasn't had a smashing entry into the big league, why give him more responsibility and the pressure to perform at this stage of his season and career. 

He'll be a great net presence OR a wicked option on the left side/deep slot ala Ovie, but right now he needs to just develop defensively, practise give-and-go hockey, and find the best way to get open for passes in scoring areas.

That's more than enough to figure out at this stage of his career.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I highly doubt Jake would save our 2nd unit PP, not that it needs any saving to begin with. Also, like I said, It won't matter because when Rodin gets back as he will more than likely be slotted in to the 2nd unit PP.

Jake needs to be in the AHL where he can actually get top 6 minutes and develop properly.

Bo then too?  He's in the bottom six now.  JV needs to play with guys who can get him the puck in scoring positions.  He had two very good (grade A) scoring chances last game.  He's doing just fine where he is.

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The guys who get paid to make decisions regarding the Canucks dont agree with you, and neither do I

Just now, Realtor Rod said:

The guys who get paid to make decisions regarding the Canucks dont agree with you, and neither do I

Yet Willie has stated that the AHL is a good development league when reporters have brought Jake and AHL together.

Don't think he and JB are not very open to sending him down. If Rodin was completely healthy he probably would be.

AHL is where Jake should be, getting top 6 minutes and PP time in Utica. He won't get those here until he blows Willie's mind and he is too raw of a player to do that.

Archived