THIS is the year to break up the Sedins

DownUndaCanuck

43 minutes ago, Jonald said:

Keep them together for the PP, but 5 on 5 i would like to see:
Baer-Henrik-Hansen
Daniel-Horvat-Erickson
Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen
Burrows-Gaunce-Dorsett

This makes more sense than the OP.  Like that you are taking into account the strength of players and their style of play.

I think it's a start, but I wonder whether the players around them are in a stage of their careers where they can support the Twins enough.  As well, even from considering roster options I see that their choices are pretty sparse.

On paper I would like to see Eriksson - Hank - Hansen.  Hank will continue to be the primary play-maker while Hansen can be the trigger-man who could help pick up the pace as he likes to lug the puck up ice and shoot, and Loui's a very opportunistic player who can set screens, tips and finish off plays in close (e.g. rebounds, setups from behind the net).  Though the roles may seem somewhat defined, I think this could be quite complementary and could work well.     

Next line I think Danny - Bo - Jake would work well.  Bo and Jake are good at pushing play with their speed, shooting and grit, while Danny could be a veteran version of Sven, setting his speedy line-mates with stretch passes and finishing plays with the space they create.

Sven - Sutter - Rodin could be a good depth scoring line.  With sheltering I think this line could do damage, since all three are offensively talented with good shots and can make stuff happen while being responsible enough to not get burned too much.

Granlund - Gaunce - Burr for fourth line.     

Just my $0.02, I've only watched a couple games this season 

I know the idea of splitting up the twins has been viewed with ultimate disdain... but why not? They are either in a major slump or have finally lost a 1/2 step. Or maybe worse, are over thinking things. 

Splitting them up 5 on 5 makes more sense than playing Dorsett and Sbisa when the goalie is pulled. 

I love how the topic of splitting the Sedins up has come up a few times since the start of the season...and every time those that supported it and the op got lit up like they were idiots. 

Now it looks like people are finally seeing what we have been saying for a month now. 

Not only so the Sedins need to jump start their offensive game, they need others to get going as well. Seems like a perfect idea to have the Sedins (playmakers) help add talent to two lines and have fast hardworking players with them to be effective. 

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol problem with splitting the sedins might make them even less effective than whatever the hell they are doing now.. instead of playing like a 2nd line.. they might be playing like a 3a 3b line lol

They are playing like 4th liners at the moment. There is literally no where to go but up. You can't score LESS than 0 goals a game lol

I have to agree... Sedins are a defensive liability when playing on the same line... they are too slow to get back on fast breakouts by the other team.

The other big problem with two Sedins on the ice at the same time is they will pass to each other whenever they have an opportunity... even if that means giving up a good scoring chance.  With two of them, the result is one long continuous cycle which accomplishes nothing most of the time.  If you remove one Sedin, then they may think about shooting, and if they pass to another player, that player is more likely to shoot than pass.

I even think that splitting them up on the Powerplay is the way to go.  Put one on the first unit, one on the second. 

Right now the 1st unit is mired in a predictable style which has the Sedins passing around the periphery... and never taking a shot.  If there is only one Sedin on a unit, then the passing will stop and more shots will happen... inevitably one of those shots is going to go in.

4 hours ago, clam linguine said:

The board finally agrees to split them up when their careers are over.

meh....maybe splitting might help

Exactly. Last year it was getting close when we didn't have Sutter, the seasons before that there was no point splitting them up because we had a bonified 2C and they were still the best passers in the game but we had playmakers down the line.

Now this season we have 2 good playmakers in the twins and a whole bunch of shooters and grinders with no one to set them up. Now's the time to split them up, not purely because they've slowed down themselves, but because of the way Benning has constructed this team to play without decent passers.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Exactly. Last year it was getting close when we didn't have Sutter, the seasons before that there was no point splitting them up because we had a bonified 2C and they were still the best passers in the game but we had playmakers down the line.

Now this season we have 2 good playmakers in the twins and a whole bunch of shooters and grinders with no one to set them up. Now's the time to split them up, not purely because they've slowed down themselves, but because of the way Benning has constructed this team to play without decent passers.

Granlund is seen as a good passer. 
Green calls Baer a playmaker and even complains that he is always looking to pass instead of shooting.  But somehow WD seems intent on using him as a grinder/Gallagher type player.  

Does seem like a good idea certainly worth trying.  Let's face it certainly can't hurt the club anymore than the level of play the team is demonstrating at the moment.  And it might send the Sedins a message that they do have to pick up their play somewhat.  But let's not get too down on them this poor team play is not entirely due to them.  Spread the talent around makes perfect sense.  Unfortunately Willy is a factor here and he doesn't stray too far from the program.

8 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I wish you would just go away.

If you think this is all I do here, then you'd get your wish if people stopped creating bad threads. Unfortunately for you, there's plenty of comments I make apart from pointing out the (what should be) obvious.

Archived