The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steve Darling to run for the Liberals in Burnaby-Lougheed.

ShakyWalton

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Of course you can. Its how you plan things. Its easy to point out problems and then go tell someone else to figure out how to pay for it. No one wants homelessness, How are you going to figure out how to raise the funds required to end it? And "raising taxes on business" isn't good enough - those businesses then need to have the ability to generate that money, so hey go look, we're back to the economy. No matter what your position is, a province needs a strong economic plan. So come on, tell me, how is the NDPs plan better? I really want to know. 

I never said the NDP's plan was better. That's you doing exactly what I was describing before. Funny huh?

Just now, inane said:

I never said the NDP's plan was better. That's you doing exactly what I was describing before. Funny huh?

? No I'm asking you which party has a better plan and I'm open to talking about it. We have the Liberals record to look at on the economy and its a good one, best in Canada in fact. So there's that. Now, if Warhippy wants my vote to change, OK, tell me the alternative plan. I'm all ears. 

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

? No I'm asking you which party has a better plan and I'm open to talking about it. We have the Liberals record to look at on the economy and its a good one, best in Canada in fact. So there's that. Now, if Warhippy wants my vote to change, OK, tell me the alternative plan. I'm all ears. 

I don't know or care what warhippy wants. 

And like I said, you can't just look at the economic numbers without looking at the consequences of those decisions and incorporating that in the discussion. Point is, it's FAR more complicated than looking at a few graphs and saying 'look, the arrow's going up therefore the Liberals are doing great economically'. In ain't that simple. 

Just now, inane said:

I don't know or care what warhippy wants. 

And like I said, you can't just look at the economic numbers without looking at the consequences of those decisions and incorporating that in the discussion. Point is, it's FAR more complicated than looking at a few graphs and saying 'look, the arrow's going up therefore the Liberals are doing great economically'. In ain't that simple. 

Sure, but you can look at the big indicators to understand where we are at - most trade with Asia, most diversification, most growth, growth in manufacturing, the only budget surplus in Canada. Yes its a dashboard look but its a heck of a good record. And thats pre-Petronas.

On healthcare its also not simple - no province is doing whats needed there imo, cutting ridiculous amounts of admin and really promoting innovation in things like ER visits or home care. Same on housing, tons of innovation needed there too. 

But its easy for us to point these flaws out, what matters to me is, who is best able to develop and execute a plan, and pay for it with the least amount of debt. Right now i haven't seen anything to move me off the Liberals, but like I said, lets see the actual plans. 

30 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Sure, but you can look at the big indicators to understand where we are at - most trade with Asia, most diversification, most growth, growth in manufacturing, the only budget surplus in Canada. Yes its a dashboard look but its a heck of a good record. And thats pre-Petronas.

On healthcare its also not simple - no province is doing whats needed there imo, cutting ridiculous amounts of admin and really promoting innovation in things like ER visits or home care. Same on housing, tons of innovation needed there too. 

But its easy for us to point these flaws out, what matters to me is, who is best able to develop and execute a plan, and pay for it with the least amount of debt. Right now i haven't seen anything to move me off the Liberals, but like I said, lets see the actual plans. 

Ok but budget surplus at what cost? What didn't happen so that they have a budget surplus? Was it worth it? Will it cost us in the long run? Lots of questions before you can just say the Liberals are doing good cause they have money in their pocket now. 

A chunk of that budget surplus is gone anyway thanks to the illegal moves Clark pulled 15 years ago. How much money did the Liberals waste on that?

3 minutes ago, inane said:

Ok but budget surplus at what cost? What didn't happen so that they have a budget surplus? Was it worth it? Will it cost us in the long run? Lots of questions before you can just say the Liberals are doing good cause they have money in their pocket now. 

A chunk of that budget surplus is gone anyway thanks to the illegal moves Clark pulled 15 years ago. How much money did the Liberals waste on that?

Yup, the SCoC did give some dough back to the teachers union. I personally don't think its a great idea to give the teachers union full control over class size, I'd much rather see a committee of teachers, parents and the province work that out, but that's probably a pipe dream. 

At what cost? Good question. The indicators for aboriginal students are better. Special needs though? Likely not enough there. When my daughter was in school she was often paired with these kids because she was really good with them and is a very caring kid and was happy to help out, but it also made the teachers lives easier to have free  help in class help by using our kid that way. I would have preferred to see more help in class for these kids vs them relying on our daughter so much. But where is the money going to come from? Up until Horgan the NDP was staunchly anti-energy (I still think he is too but is playing it cute to try to win) and we need that for the funding for special needs and many other things. I just don't see how the NDP is going to do anything but ring up more and more debt thats not directly liked to economic activity. 

7 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yup, the SCoC did give some dough back to the teachers union. I personally don't think its a great idea to give the teachers union full control over class size, I'd much rather see a committee of teachers, parents and the province work that out, but that's probably a pipe dream. 

At what cost? Good question. The indicators for aboriginal students are better. Special needs though? Likely not enough there. When my daughter was in school she was often paired with these kids because she was really good with them and is a very caring kid and was happy to help out, but it also made the teachers lives easier to have free  help in class help by using our kid that way. I would have preferred to see more help in class for these kids vs them relying on our daughter so much. But where is the money going to come from? Up until Horgan the NDP was staunchly anti-energy (I still think he is too but is playing it cute to try to win) and we need that for the funding for special needs and many other things. I just don't see how the NDP is going to do anything but ring up more and more debt thats not directly liked to economic activity. 

See, you're doing it again lol. You seem unable to talk about the Liberals failings without telling me how the NDP would be worse. 

Just now, Warhippy said:

Nice.  Your feelings are hurt but you talk to people like this.

You're the cerridwen of this thread.

Good job, you're lower than an alt left feminist.

There's alt left feminists?

King started if off with the "stealing" and criminal talk, and guilt by association if you support the Lib's. Just giving a little back.

Getting back to basics, if you can give me a valid reason to believe that the NDP can do better economically than the Lib's I'm open to listening. No BS, I really would like to hear what the reasoning is.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/country/canada

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/child-poverty-report-1.3334440

https://www.policyalternatives.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/publications/reports/docs/ccpabc_closer_look_low_wages_0.pdf

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/job-quality-in-canada-sinks-to-all-time-low-cibc-index-shows/article23303996/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/education-funding-british-columbia-ccpa-2016-1.3735255

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/cpis01k-eng.htm

Simply put

BC has the highest cost of living.  The lowest wages, ranks nearly last in education funding happens to have the lowest job quality outside of New Brunswick leads in child poverty (even ahead of manitoba which is impressive) and holds the highest number of unemployed and homeless population per capita in canada

You can say whatever the frag you want there bud.  The numbers do not lie.  This province is suffering and simply claiming otherwise does not make it factual.  Vancouver leads in job creation in the province due to construction of overpriced condos.  BC has an economy that is currently buoyed only by construction and real estate.  Strip that away and the entire province collapses.

http://credbc.ca/role-energy-sector-bcs-economy/

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/08/02/real-estate-gdp-canada_n_11309192.html

http://www.bcbc.com/bcbc-blog/2016/no-surprise-the-residential-real-estate-complex-a-big-economic-engine-in-bc

This province is literally held up by real estate purchases and the race to build condos to keep those prices up.  Strip that away and our biggest city is a service based industry with a port system.  You can say and claim whatever you want.  But anyone who lives here knows the truth.  Anyone who wants to look sees what the issues are and it takes a serious lack of intelligence to viably claim otherwise 

Creating PT jobs at the expense of full time jobs is not growth. Retirees no longer looking for work does not mean less unemployment.  Being forced to start businesses or work from home because actual emplomenty does not pay enough is not conducive to a healthy population.

So do tell me how the issues fo 20 years ago are so much worse than what is going on now.  Call me names while you're at it then post links from the BC gov's website like they're impartial  that deny deflect or ignore ALL of those issues I just spoke of that in actuality make up the health of a population and tell me I am wrong.

Call Ryan in here to cheer lead while you do it.  We're thick skinned; we can take it.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/country/canada

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/child-poverty-report-1.3334440

https://www.policyalternatives.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/publications/reports/docs/ccpabc_closer_look_low_wages_0.pdf

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/job-quality-in-canada-sinks-to-all-time-low-cibc-index-shows/article23303996/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/education-funding-british-columbia-ccpa-2016-1.3735255

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/cpis01k-eng.htm

Simply put

BC has the highest cost of living.  The lowest wages, ranks nearly last in education funding happens to have the lowest job quality outside of New Brunswick leads in child poverty (even ahead of manitoba which is impressive) and holds the highest number of unemployed and homeless population per capita in canada

You can say whatever the frag you want there bud.  The numbers do not lie.  This province is suffering and simply claiming otherwise does not make it factual.  Vancouver leads in job creation in the province due to construction of overpriced condos.  BC has an economy that is currently buoyed only by construction and real estate.  Strip that away and the entire province collapses.

http://credbc.ca/role-energy-sector-bcs-economy/

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/08/02/real-estate-gdp-canada_n_11309192.html

http://www.bcbc.com/bcbc-blog/2016/no-surprise-the-residential-real-estate-complex-a-big-economic-engine-in-bc

This province is literally held up by real estate purchases and the race to build condos to keep those prices up.  Strip that away and our biggest city is a service based industry with a port system.  You can say and claim whatever you want.  But anyone who lives here knows the truth.  Anyone who wants to look sees what the issues are and it takes a serious lack of intelligence to viably claim otherwise 

Creating PT jobs at the expense of full time jobs is not growth. Retirees no longer looking for work does not mean less unemployment.  Being forced to start businesses or work from home because actual emplomenty does not pay enough is not conducive to a healthy population.

So do tell me how the issues fo 20 years ago are so much worse than what is going on now.  Call me names while you're at it then post links from the BC gov's website like they're impartial  that deny deflect or ignore ALL of those issues I just spoke of that in actuality make up the health of a population and tell me I am wrong.

Call Ryan in here to cheer lead while you do it.  We're thick skinned; we can take it.

Thats awesome hip. I asked you for the NDPs economic plan and you post everything but!

The child poverty numbers are out of date - you haven't factored in the federal liberal changes there.

Every major city in Canada is dependent on the financial and real estate market... you think this is unique to BC? Please tell me how the NDP would change that.

Come on hip, whats the economic plan? In all your rantings you haven't give us one single thing the NDP would do better on the economy.

You sound like the folks that had Mulcair fit for a desk in the PMOs office. Elections almost always come down to which party can handle the economy, so hit us with it, give us the grand plan.

21 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow, joining a morally bankrupt political party that steals  400 million a year from  the special needs kids / students  of our province.....

Stay classy Steve.  I just lost all respect for you. 

This. Anyone who genuinely wants to embark in a career in politics as no moral fiber. 

I wouldn't even categorize politicians as people, just absolute scum. 

11 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Thats awesome hip. I asked you for the NDPs economic plan and you post everything but!

The child poverty numbers are out of date - you haven't factored in the federal liberal changes there.

Every major city in Canada is dependent on the financial and real estate market... you think this is unique to BC? Please tell me how the NDP would change that.

Come on hip, whats the economic plan? In all your rantings you haven't give us one single thing the NDP would do better on the economy.

You sound like the folks that had Mulcair fit for a desk in the PMOs office. Elections almost always come down to which party can handle the economy, so hit us with it, give us the grand plan.

So

Go to google.  Type things in to the bar

Asking for me to do your homework for you is the height of laziness.  I guess that's par for the course for a liberal though

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

So

Go to google.  Type things in to the bar

Asking for me to do your homework for you is the height of laziness.  I guess that's par for the course for a liberal though

OK so maybe the economic plan is too big a topic for us. I've seen the NDP web site. Ouch.

Lets take things down to a concrete example. Lets head over to dipper ground zero, Burnaby.

They've had the NDP grand poohbah as mayor for years. But... whats the social housing situation in Burnaby? Next to nothing? Whaaaa? Right now by Metrotown there are people protesting for affordable homes, that the dipper city council are allowing to be booted for the ever-growing condo's in the area. But no new social housing? Isn't that interesting?

All they had to do was incentivize developers to add in affordable homes. That means giving businesses a tax break. But nope, lets blame mean old Christy Clark instead. Oh but Hip says it can't happen. Look to Seattle my friend, that city council is doing an awesome job incentivizing developers to make more affordable spaces. It can be done, but not with an anti-business mentality that is stuck to the NDP like red on a commie star.

The Burnaby dippers didn't even have to look that far, they could have just copied the CoV (http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Vancouver+looks+ease+housing+crunch+with+Rental+program/11347998/story.html)

Here's what the Burnaby dipper leader says about social housing: "in Burnaby, whose mayor has repeatedly insisted it’s not the city’s job to build homeless shelters, social housing or rental units..." (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/burnaby-politicians-search-for-ways-to-improve-rental-housing-availability/article31111921/)

Blaming the feds and province when a city can have just as big an effect is the kind of weak crap that the NDP tries to pass off as good policy.

5 hours ago, inane said:

Does it matter? He's just a recognizable face out there to do what he's told. 

I just hope an opposition can get their act together to get rid of this current crop of clowns.

BC Liberals -     They don't want candidates that have political experience or any education.  BC Liberal Party only wants candidates that are morally bankrupt and corrupt  so they can steal from honest BC citizens.

BC Liberal Party has destroyed my province for the working people  / middle class.

Christy only cares about the UBER rich friends of hers that send their kids to St. Georges Elite Private School like she does with her kid.....

Christy Clark has destroyed BC Public Education and instead given than money to BC Privates Schools for her kid and other rich kids....

Christy Clark is a sociopath  and hates public education and  public healthcare  .

If you care about your   retirement, education of your grandkids, owning a home someday,   quality healthcare  - you would never vote BC Liberal Party.

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC Liberals -     They don't want candidates that have political experience or any education.  BC Liberal Party only wants candidates that are morally bankrupt and corrupt  so they can steal from honest BC citizens.

BC Liberal Party has destroyed my province for the working people  / middle class.

Christy only cares about the UBER rich friends of hers that send their kids to St. Georges Elite Private School like she does with her kid.....

Christy Clark has destroyed BC Public Education and instead given than money to BC Privates Schools for her kid and other rich kids....

Christy Clark is a sociopath  and hates public education and  public healthcare  .

If you care about your   retirement, education of your grandkids, owning a home someday,   quality healthcare  - you would never vote BC Liberal Party.

Yah that new Surrey Memorial Hospital was terrible of the province to invest in.

8 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yah that new Surrey Memorial Hospital was terrible of the province to invest in.

You want to brag about the fast growing city in BC getting a new  hospital that is way undersized .   Wow....

Why don't you take about the Canadian Supreme Court just ruling that your BC Liberal Party stole 400 million from BC  Special Needs kids each year for the  last 15 years.... ?

So did the special needs kids from across the province have to get no services for the last 15 years to pay for the Surrey Hospital.....

Wow thats one sad story about BC Liberal corruption and steal from our taxpayers....

BC Liberals  =  CROOKS and THIEVES 

Archived