The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Analytics were right about Gudbranson

Matt_T83

I never liked this trade from the moment I saw it. We gave up a legit top scoring prospect in McCann for a defenseman who has proven himself to be average at best. I don't care if he was a third overall pick -- none of that matters. This article hit the nail on the head months ago when the trade went down:

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/putting-the-erik-gudbranson-trade-in-context-1.2266986

Gudbranson is now a team low -9. He can't score, and as the article says he 'bleeds shots against'. This was an awful trade and Florida doesn't miss him one bit. He's nothing more than a third pairing defenseman, one that we paid a premium for. 

I'd much rather our team take the direction of the Arizona Coyotes and hire a young analytics guru as our GM. Benning is way too oldschool and out of touch with modern hockey operations.

He's a decent player, and I don't mind him on our team. The problem isn't so much his play for me, it's that we shouldn't have had to pay a premium for him knowing Florida's cap situation and his upcoming RFA status. Or barring that, we could have just kept Hamhuis as he did a much better job of sheltering Hutton than Guds is.

It says a lot that Florida was the one that contacted Benning to initiate the trade. They knew their audience well.

I have a feeling his best years are ahead of him. Wait until his late 20s to even early 30s when this guy starts to shine. More than anything else, he brings plenty of physicality to a defence that lacked it all of last season.

Meanwhile we broke McCann's development anyway by rushing him into the NHL on a losing team and now look how useless he is in Florida.

I don't really know how JB analyzes players. it's just like "he's big, he has size, so he's good". I don't think JB considers what their game is like and how they work. 

I was surprised how much we gave up for gudbranson when everytime he gets the puck on our own end, he would just wrist it out, losing possession and getting the icing call.

20 minutes ago, Matt_T83 said:

I never liked this trade from the moment I saw it. We gave up a legit top scoring prospect in McCann for a defenseman who has proven himself to be average at best. I don't care if he was a third overall pick -- none of that matters. This article hit the nail on the head months ago when the trade went down:

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/putting-the-erik-gudbranson-trade-in-context-1.2266986

Gudbranson is now a team low -9. He can't score, and as the article says he 'bleeds shots against'. This was an awful trade and Florida doesn't miss him one bit. He's nothing more than a third pairing defenseman, one that we paid a premium for. 

I'd much rather our team take the direction of the Arizona Coyotes and hire a young analytics guru as our GM. Benning is way too oldschool and out of touch with modern hockey operations.

From the article: "

Gudbranson’s other defence partner last season was Brian Campbell. When they skated together, they posted a 52.5% corsi and had a goals for percentage of 62.5%.

You could argue that Campbell carried that pairing, but it seems clear that Gudbranson didn’t drag Campbell down, at the very least. When Campbell was paired with Mitchell, on the other hand, they had a corsi of 43.5%."

Guddy is currently paired with a near-rookie, who also happens to be struggling at the moment. He's capable of being a top 4 guy that commands respect from the opposition. He needs Hutton to improve or be tried with a different partner. 

10 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I have a feeling his best years are ahead of him. Wait until his late 20s to even early 30s when this guy starts to shine. More than anything else, he brings plenty of physicality to a defence that lacked it all of last season.

Meanwhile we broke McCann's development anyway by rushing him into the NHL on a losing team and now look how useless he is in Florida.

I agree with that. I pared down my post, but I was going to include something about how we rushed McCann into the NHL. At the time I was okay with him joining the team. But somewhere near the halfway point of the season he should have been moved out of the NHL to continue his development.

12 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I hope so. However, analytics aren't bad at forecasting player development either... I'd say his ceiling is pretty low. My guess is we'd be lucky if he turns into a 2nd pairing defenseman. 

He isn't bad, he isn't great 

He just doesn't complement anyone. 

I don't see consistency in nasty. 

He can't hit the net.

he is just another regular defensman that this franchise seems to be absolutely full of. 

If we were going to submit McCann and a 2nd. Couldn't we spend it on something.... I don't know, exciting, dynamic, creative or even slightly amusing. There is nothing he has done so far this year that Trymakin hasn't done just as good, if not better. 

Gudbranson's stats are right around all our other D, including CDC darlings like Hutton.

I don't know if you noticed, but the team is playing terribly, pretty much down to the last man.

If you have watched the team and come to the conclusion that Gudbranson is one of our bigger issues, you need to really give your head a shake.

I don't know if you noticed, but McCann isn't setting the world on fire and has less points than Gudbranson does... and all McCann has in his skill set is scoring.

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

He isn't bad, he isn't great 

He just doesn't complement anyone. 

I don't see consistency in nasty. 

He can't hit the net.

he is just another regular defensman that this franchise seems to be absolutely full of. 

If we were going to submit McCann and a 2nd. Couldn't we spend it on something.... I don't know, exciting, dynamic, creative or even slightly amusing. There is nothing he has done so far this year that Trymakin hasn't done just as good, if not better. 

McCann hasn't proven anything yet. 1 G 1 A and not earning much ice time in FLA.

So far besides the Kassian fight, have not seen any of that snarl....maybe he needs more time with a new team and all, because his main attributes are toughness and crease clearing. Not enough shown thus far, because he does not really do anything else particularly well. Maybe he needs to play with a different D man, who knows, but so far none of our offseason moves are really paying off in terms of their skillsets. 

Yes he is still young, but his contract is coming up soon, how much would we pay? Given Lindholm took 5.5, I am thinking 4.25 for what Gud brings to the table. 

15 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't know man. Usually it's the physical maturity that impedes a young defenders performance during the early stages of development. I think this is basically what you get. 

As as far as the physical play goes. IDK, is he really that much more physical than Sbisa and Tryamkin? Cause it's not like I see him take charge of the d-corpd and lead by example with his heavily physical game.

Like we all kind of expected. 

1 minute ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

So far besides the Kassian fight, have not seen any of that snarl....maybe he needs more time with a new time and all, because his main attributes are toughness and crease clearing. Not enough shown thus far, because he does not really do anything else particularly well. Maybe he needs to play with a different D man, who knows, but so far none of our offseason moves are really paying off in terms of their skillsets. 

Yes he is still young, but his contract is coming up soon, how much would we pay? Given Lindholm took 5.5, I am thinking 4.25 for what Gud brings to the table. 

Willie's got this team running their assess off with his so-called defence first system. No one has time for snarl, other than Tryamkin but that's only because he's such a big mofo he can hurt guys with standard checks. 

Archived