The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Com'on people, 17 games, really

Inge34

59 minutes ago, Davathor said:

You literally just made my point. I'm saying those were moves that a rebuilding team WOULDN'T MAKE. Of course Eriksson was expected to produce more and STILL IS. Yes, Gudbranson was expected to be better than he has been. That's my point.

The leafs REBUILT, they traded veterans and big contracts for prospects and picks... That's a rebuild. All the moves the canucks have made look like exactly what they claim it is. A RETOOL.

Did they trade a first round pick for an established goalie?  Is that in the rulebook?  Are they not actually "re-building"?

Dumb.

The 94 cup final was an still is the best Canuck final team in my modest opinion, While I loved the 2012 team it does not compare to heart desire,grit an try get it done no matter what .

We are missing a lot of that we have 2 -0 version right now of 90 team before there run in 94 . That team was able to overhaul itself in 4 years.

this current management regime is on a 10-12 year track!

2 hours ago, danjr said:

There are few people on this planet who have been Canucks fans longer than I.  I used to listen to Canucks games on the radio in the 70's. 

I have earned the right to occasionally complain....especially when it is warranted.

Look, I've been watching since the beginning and like any long suffering Canucks fan (and I know what that means so I hear you there and I sympathize) that gives me just as much right to whine and complain as anybody else.  I just choose not to.  It doesn't help any.  And it's contagious.  It's not only rampant in the city, I think the players have caught it too.  I think that's what Miller is out with, a case of Canuckleheadedness.  The only cure is a bit of positivity.  GCG!

P.S. - One can always justify reasons for bitterness but it's the mark of a true fan to keep cheering even when the chips are down.  We have few enough fans like that.  Why not give it a try?

P.P.S. - I didn't mean that as a slight on Miller's attitude, I think he has a good attitude. I was just trying to add some levity.

2 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Look, I've been watching since the beginning and like any long suffering Canucks fan (and I know what that means so I hear you there and I sympathize) that gives me just as much right to whine and complain as anybody else.  I just choose not to.  It doesn't help any.  And it's contagious.  It's not only rampant in the city, I think the players have caught it too.  I think that's what Miller is out with, a case of Canuckleheadedness.  The only cure is a bit of positivity.  GCG!

P.S. - One can always justify reasons for bitterness but it's the mark of a true fan to keep cheering even when the chips are down.  We have few enough fans like that.  Why not give it a try?

Yeah, I know right.  I yell at the TV.....Sedins overpassing, Guddy's backhand slapper clearing attempt / pass to the other team's D, Burrows' legs, Gaunce's penalties, Edler's blocked shots....but when I come on here and hear the entitled vitriol and grand pronouncements I want to puke.  If you can't criticize a sports team without coming off like a little B, you probably are a little B.

17 games? Did last season not happen or something? Or we still making the injury excuse among other things?

Those that are rallying themselves as elitist fans are not proving any points here. Belittling those that dislike management doesn't change what is happening. We have a bad team that makes moves like it's a good one. 

And everyone on this site is a Canucks fan. No one is superior to another because of philosophy, get over yourselves if you believe that. There is no prize for best fan anyways. 

20 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

The 94 cup final was an still is the best Canuck final team in my modest opinion, While I loved the 2012 team it does not compare to heart desire,grit an try get it done no matter what .

We are missing a lot of that we have 2 -0 version right now of 90 team before there run in 94 . That team was able to overhaul itself in 4 years.

this current management regime is on a 10-12 year track!

I wish we had a Momesso like player right now.  He's destroy anyone who goes after the Twins. 

28 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

If you can't criticize a sports team without coming off like a little B, you probably are a little B.

40 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Are you baffled?  Did I lose you?  Is your little shoebox of a mind still with me? 

42 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

So.....uh......a "re-build" is not actually a thing.

37 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Dumb.

Can you post in a forum without coming off like a little B?

34 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Yeah, I know right.  I yell at the TV.....Sedins overpassing, Guddy's backhand slapper clearing attempt / pass to the other team's D, Burrows' legs, Gaunce's penalties, Edler's blocked shots....but when I come on here and hear the entitled vitriol and grand pronouncements I want to puke.  If you can't criticize a sports team without coming off like a little B, you probably are a little B.

I honestly don't get why people get so bent out of shape on an Internet forum over what other internetters are doing.

like "oh I'm so infuriated with your audacious post so I'm going to respond in a way that would get me punched out in real

life"....do people still punch these days?  Maybe not.  Forget it.....

just go have makeup sex then......

1 hour ago, Davathor said:

You literally just made my point. I'm saying those were moves that a rebuilding team WOULDN'T MAKE. Of course Eriksson was expected to produce more and STILL IS. Yes, Gudbranson was expected to be better than he has been. That's my point.

The leafs REBUILT, they traded veterans and big contracts for prospects and picks... That's a rebuild. All the moves the canucks have made look like exactly what they claim it is. A RETOOL.

I looked up retool in the dictionary and it said "someone or something that was a tool and is still trying to be a tòol."

2 hours ago, Inge34 said:

I haven't posted in a while and will get flamed for this but who cares. Most won't even take the time to read this but here we go,

So the Canucks are 17 games in and so far,

1. We need to fire WD
  2. We need to fire JB
  3. TL is going to quit
  4. Erickson is a bust
  5. Virtanen is a bust
  6. Gudbranson is a bust
  7. We need to trade everyone away for picks
  8. We need to buy out the Sedins
  9. Why can't we do what Toronto did?

Holy crap are we the most ridiculously impatient fan base in sports. I would hate to be the one to tell you but we are not a good team everyone. We will not be a good team for 2-4 more seasons, not including this one. What did all of you expect from a bunch of young guys playing in their first years and another bunch of old guys near the end? We were a bottom 3 team last season and had no luck in the draft lottery. We are going to miss the playoffs and most likely be another bottom three team again and again and again.

We may be sellers at the TDL and we won't get "the value" for what we give up that most everyone thinks we should get. Why? Because our players are not that good or coveted by anyone.

Firing WD will do nothing for this team. Yes, he makes questionable line combos and lineups. Yes, he is trying to win. Yes, for some reason he has issues with Virtanen. But if you think another coach( Green, Jarvis, Roy, Hartley or whoever) will come in here and have this team win like what happened in Pittsburgh last season you need to check yourself in for some treatment. This team just doesn't have the finishing skill to get the job done and that aint changing with a new coach. Everyone is so hot for Green but tell me this, who has he developed in the last three years in Utica? Hutton? no. Horvat? no Tryamkin? no. Baertschi? no. Granlund? no. Stecher? not really. Oh I'll tell you, Guance and Markstrom, that is it. Now is that a reflection of him as a coach, probably not but is a reflection of the lack of talent that the Canucks are dealing with. So go ahead and fire WD, it won't make a shread of difference, this team has a huge gap in talent and it going to take time to fix this. It took Edmonton 10 years to get their team going, Calgary is still struggling even with their "great young players", same with Buffalo, Arizona and Columbus. Toronto has some good young players but they are still outside the playoffs if they started today. 

Firing JB will again set this team back another two-three seasons. He is slowly turning this team over and drafting and signing some decent young players. Aside from Edler, our defence is pretty young and will only get better. Our Goaltending looks to be pretty solid for years to come with Markstrom, Demko and even Garteig. His signing of high profile FA's has not been very good but really most of those types of players never really pan out for their new teams. Just google the last 5-6 years of FA signings and there are very few that change the fortunes of a team. His trading has been spotty and he has pissed off fans by saying "We are a playoff team" and they are not. "We are building through the draft" but yet trading picks and prospects for more developed young players. But realistically he had very little in the cupboards and on the ice when he took this team over. The worst thing that could have happened to him and the Canucks is that bounce back season after Torts. It fooled him, it fooled the core, it fooled TL, it fooled the Aqualinis and it fooled all of us. We are not that talented and it will be 2-3 years till we see some of these good young players (Virtanen, Boeser, Demko, Joulevi) show their stuff. 

TL is not going to quit. Freidman is a rumour monger and a hack of a journalist. I'm sure TL feels like quitting everyday, especially after being questioned by media and fans on a daily basis. He can't turn on the radio, watch TV,  or go to a restaurant without someone questioning him and his decisions. I know he took the job and this is part of it but holy moly lets wait this out and see what the hell happens folks.

Erickson, Virtanen and Gudbranson are not busts. Well they may be but 17 games into the season? Let's not check that one yet. Erickson is a solid two way forward who was never a star player, who will net you 20-30 goals a year. The problem was most of you were listening to 1040 too much. There was a lot of hype around him and the Sedins chemistry and the possibility and allure of 40 goal seasons. Give your head a shake, that has never been his game nor will that ever happen. Yes he is a minus 5 but there are 11 guys equal or worse then that on the Canucks right now, two of them being favourite sons Horvat (-6) and Hutton (-9). Yes we overpaid for him, welcome to free agency everyone. Virtanen story has been totally goofy this year. He should have started in Utica this season but unfortunately there was some injuries and that didn't happen. He is now where he should have been and hopefully he gets 18-20 min per game and can develop his game away from friends and the spotlight. Better late then never. Gudbranson is a solid, stay at home, take the body defender with some solid upside. he's young, big, physical and a good skater. Was he worth what we gave up? I say yes, you say no. We have a young and upcoming d-corp and he will be here for years to come. But he is -9!!! OMG, so is Hutton so he must be a bust too. This team is not very good and can't score goals. So when you don't score a lot and let in lots of goals guess what???? You lose a lot and have a lot of players in the minus. 

Let's trade the core players, buy out the Sedins and build like they did in Toronto. Well, aside from Edler, Tanev and Hanson who has any value? Sedins? Got value but no one will take both at 7 mil per season without us eating lots of salary. Dorsett? 5th rounder at best. Sutter? Not a lot of value there. Miller? He only wants to play on the west coast and besides LA who's looking for a rental goalie. Sbisa? Not getting much in return. We could trade some of the young guys but that only moves us back not forward. And who knows, we could move Tanev, Edler and Hanson for some picks, maybe a couple seconds and some AHLer's. But that is not going to change the fact that we are still 2-4 years away from getting good again.

We are rebuilding but like I said in the summer I don't think many of the fans have the stomach for a rebuild. We all want the quick fix, blockbuster trade that rips another team off and the franchise drafted player that becomes an instant star. We all want that, the problem lays that so does every other team and fan base. Let's settle down and try to enjoy the little things with the Canucks for the next couple years because that is what it's going to take to turn this team around, another 2-4 seasons. It's really that simple. Just thought I would point out some of the obvious to everyone, and no I don't have a plan to fix things cause I'm not a GM. 

Preach

2 hours ago, Inge34 said:

1. We need to fire WD
  2. We need to fire JB
  3. TL is going to quit
  4. Erickson is a bust
  5. Virtanen is a bust
  6. Gudbranson is a bust
  7. We need to trade everyone away for picks
  8. We need to buy out the Sedins
  9. Why can't we do what Toronto did?

1. That's been going on for the past 3 years now, not just 17 games.

2. I'm not on the fire JB wagon, wait til we see what the new coach does if Willie gets fired

3. That wasn't us, the media brought that up.

4. Eriksson is a bust on getting goals, all he's been doing is looking to pass and he was brought here to get goals for the Sedins

5. You haven't been watching games with him in it have you? He looks lost when he plays with the Canucks, he's better off developing in Utica

6. Gud isn't a bust, a lot of people on here have been equally complaining about Sbisa, Larsen, and several other players

7. A rebuild involves trading anchors for future picks and young prospects

8. Sedins will probably play here until they retire however if they get traded to a team that can win the cup before they retire, I'm all for it

9. Because Aqua man wants the team to be a contender.

2 hours ago, danjr said:

At least mess put up .5 points per games.  

Eriksson is on pace for .3.  Although I hate mess's time here.  Eriksson is bringing nothing near what he is getting paid for.  You don't see him out there, and not on the scoresheet.  

I hope he makes me eat my words, highly unlikely after 20% of the season so far.

Messier did so much "intangible" damage that if you factored everything in, I'd say he put up the equivalent of about -.3 points per game.

18 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

1. That's been going on for the past 3 years now, not just 17 games.

2. I'm not on the fire JB wagon, wait til we see what the new coach does if Willie gets fired

3. That wasn't us, the media brought that up.

4. Eriksson is a bust on getting goals, all he's been doing is looking to pass and he was brought here to get goals for the Sedins

5. You haven't been watching games with him in it have you? He looks lost when he plays with the Canucks, he's better off developing in Utica

6. Gud isn't a bust, a lot of people on here have been equally complaining about Sbisa, Larsen, and several other players

7. A rebuild involves trading anchors for future picks and young prospects

8. Sedins will probably play here until they retire however if they get traded to a team that can win the cup before they retire, I'm all for it

9. Because Aqua man wants the team to be a contender.

You never read the post did you? I was pointing out the things that the media or posters have said. Oh well, that will teach me for posting something that was more than two sentences. I agree with you though.

3 hours ago, Davathor said:

Great post? ... Yeah ok.

It's almost a quarter through the season, I dont see how it's "jumping to conclusions" about this teams ability to be competitive... Some of the things you identified as ridiculous were already identified as ridiculous by the other 99% of us. OP you said you haven't posted in a long time, but I guess you haven't lurked in a while too, because terrible suggestions and threads have ALWAYS been a part of CDC. Take this thread, for example.

your point was good until the point you said take this thread, for example... it is a good thread... and ya he has 22 rep points. I don't think the majority agrees with you... 

Archived