The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick OSullivan Rips on Vancouver -The Franchise,City,Fans

WestlockWarrior

Nice shouts out to The Roxy at the end there.

Would have liked to hear him talk about how players don't "look at the game the same way anymore" in regards to enjoying their time off and presumbably partying. "Keep that stuff secret then you get away with more." Sounds like Paddy boy had some fun in his day. 

That coupled with an analyst from 1040, I think it was Ferraro, saying that players like Boeser and Horvat "don't take days off" and that's what he and scouts look for in players these days really makes me think about how these guys are essentially being turned into hockey playing machines. Sucks having fun is something that is frowned upon and needs to be a "secret" in the NHL. It truly does take a lot of dedication to make it these days. Props to guys like Bo, who have that kind of drive. He's a beast of a hockey player but I bet he's a bitch at the bar. 

39 minutes ago, sonoman said:

IMG_1731.PNG

Annnnnnd it's stuff like this that makes people like O'Sullivan say things like everyone hates Vancouver.

Burrows has said things to his colleagues, Tootoo as another example, that would get you fired in most workplaces and definitely warrants this kind of response or grudge. The fact that Vancouver has given him a platform to and supported him in frankly, being a jackass is a big part of why a lot of people do hate this team.

The interview isn't even that inflammatory to be honest. All of his criticisms are pretty relevant. The fans here do leave very early when the team is losing, maybe it's because our traffic is so awful, and they do get noticeably more supportive when the team is winning, maybe that's because we have better things to do with our time than watch a losing hockey team, clearly Toronto fans don't have that privilege. Sullivan does say he likes Vancouver as a city in the end, in which is otherwise just an interview that uses Sullivan's grudges to generate hype for an already over hyped game.

5 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

Annnnnnd it's stuff like this that makes people like O'Sullivan say things like everyone hates Vancouver.

Burrows has said things to his colleagues, Tootoo as another example, that would get you fired in most workplaces and definitely warrants this kind of response or grudge. The fact that Vancouver has given him a platform to and supported him in, frankly, being a jackass is a big part of why a lot of people do hate this team.

But its people acting like Vancouver is somehow the only team that does this. Every team has agitators. Some are just better than others, and those are the ones who get the hatred. Why do you think Marchand is so hated? Because he's really good at being a prick. Same with Burrows.

20 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

But its people acting like Vancouver is somehow the only team that does this. Every team has agitators. Some are just better than others, and those are the ones who get the hatred. Why do you think Marchand is so hated? Because he's really good at being a prick. Same with Burrows.

I've been a fan of Burrows his entire career so I'm trying to look at this as objectively as possible and all the signs point to Burr crossing a line that almost no one else in the league has. Brad Marchand pisses me the hell off but I don't see players getting visibly emotional for what looks like nothing and trying to jump him, a la Tootoo on Burrows. Never seen him, or anyone else, bite another player either. A lot of evidence shows Burr's reputation around the league is at a Sean Avery level of hate. Avery got pushed out of the league for being such a douche, Vancouver has allowed Burrows to stay.

At the very least you'd be oblivious to not acknowledged that Burrows has said some highly regrettable things. The fact he's consistently denied it just makes it seem like he either doesn't care or he genuinely doesn't understand that saying things like that is gonna make you a lot of life long enemies. 

16 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

just an interview that uses Sullivan's grudges to generate hype for an already over hyped.

My takeaway as well.

All the Toronto media outlets (and most of our local ones as well) are in full hype mode for the game and doing everything they can to fan the hate. It's been pretty wall to wall today.

No surprise they had Patty on. Pretty much a guarantee they'd get some quotes out of him that would serve their agenda.

6 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

I've been a fan of Burrows his entire career so I'm trying to look at this as objectively as possible and all the signs point to Burr crossing a line that almost no one else in the league has. Brad Marchand pisses me the hell off but I don't see players getting visibly emotional for what looks like nothing and trying to jump him, a la Tootoo on Burrows. A lot of evidence shows Burr's reputation around the league is at a Sean Avery level of hate. Avery got pushed out of the league for being such a douche, Vancouver has allowed Burrows to stay.

At the very least Burrows has said some highly regrettable things. The fact he's consistently denied it just makes it seem like he either doesn't care or he genuinely doesn't understand that saying things like that is gonna make you a lot of life long enemies. 

And that just tells me he's a better agitator than most. Words are words at the end of the day. I completely understand why people would hate a guy like Burrows. But sticks and stones. I have a hell of a lot more respect for Burrows who says mean things than other players who make cheapshots and dirty hits to be a pest. Burrows is good at finding the sore spots in people. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but I am saying its better than going out of your way to physically harm people, like many of the better known pests do.

Also, the fact that he goes out of his way to insult Vancouver's fans shows its not about Burrows. He has a grudge against the city in general. I hate the Bruins, the Blackhawks, the Leafs, Flames, Oilers etc. But at the end of the day I recognize a fan is a fan, and despite the general sentiment there are no differences in different fanbases. Just fanbase sizes. A die hard Coyotes fan is no different than a die hard Leafs fan. there are just less of them.

2 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

And that just tells me he's a better agitator than most. Words are words at the end of the day. I completely understand why people would hate a guy like Burrows. But sticks and stones. I have a hell of a lot more respect for Burrows who says mean things than other players who make cheapshots and dirty hits to be a pest. Burrows is good at finding the sore spots in people. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but I am saying its better than going out of your to physically harm people, like many of the better known pests do.

I fully agree.

But then there's this:

5 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

I fully agree.

But then there's this:

Yes, and? I'm aware Burrows has made dirty plays. Every player has. Even guys like Danny and Hank. I played hockey for  years. Nobody is a saint. This is especially noticeable watching games live, you see things the camera doesn't. But  As someone whose watched Burrows since he got here, I can say he makes a living pestering people with his mouth. I don't see him going onto the ice deliberately attempting to hurt people. 

Funny how comments from a career disappointment get blown up because

1) Toronto

2) Vancouver

Otherwise a guy who retires at 28 because of skill, not injury, would get no notice because he simply doesn't matter.

Thanks for being a decent call up for me in NHL '11, it's the most noteworthy thing you've ever done. Now watch your mouth or I'll call your dad.

5 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Yes, and? I'm aware Burrows has made dirty plays. Every player has. Even guys like Danny and Hank. I played hockey for  years. Nobody is a saint. This is especially noticeable watching games live, you see things the camera doesn't. But  As someone whose watched Burrows since he got here, I can say he makes a living pestering people with his mouth. I don't see him going onto the ice deliberately attempting to hurt people. 

How can you tell me that spear wasn't an attempt to deliberately hurt someone? Please tell me what his intentions may have been there that I'm missing.

1 minute ago, dank.sinatra said:

How can you tell me that spear wasn't an attempt to deliberately hurt someone? Please tell me what his intentions may have been there that I'm missing.

Well he wasn't hurt. So that's a pretty big one. Do you honestly think he was going at Rielly with murder in his eyes? You're right I can't tell what he was thinking. Neither can you. I'm just saying that watching Burrows play for 12 years, I don't see him going out there trying to injure people. I see him trying to piss them off, which is what he did.

Archived