The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal - MONTREAL

First off: You'll never get more than that for the twins.

Second: Retain 6 million and they are fine, deadline cap space for MON is 5.5M.

Third: Danault has been awesome so far this year, he is a significant upgrade from Gaunce and would be a great 3rd line center.

Fourth: If you can't handle a realistic return for the Sedin's then I'm sorry because you will live in disappointment.

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

we'd have to take back some dead cap of montreals and retain salary. Wed also want at least one more first round pick or an A level prospect

Could probably get a couple 2nd rounders, but I doubt they'd give more than one 1st rounder. The only way you get that is if you trade them to different teams.

Just to put this in perspective, Danault and a 2018 2nd were given to Montreal in exchange for Dale Weise and Thomas Fleischmann. But trade the Sedins (with $6M total retained at that) and we only get an upgrade from a 2nd to a 1st? And I assume this is for this year, not next year's trade deadline, making what we retain that much bigger? And that Montreal's 1st currently sits at 30th overall?

Sure, sell that as a realistic return and that we don't know what we're talking about...

So here's the skinny scoop on the twins this season:

Hank is sitting at 0.64 PPG (just behind MacKinnon and Johansen; tied with Horvat,Turris and Couture; just ahead of Barkov).

I'd say 0.64 PPG is pretty good for a #2C

Daniel is sitting at 0.60 PPG (about 10% behind Forsberg; about 10% ahead of Landeskog).

Again, not too bad for a #2 LW

They are however being paid as #1C + #1LW (which makes any trade possibly subject to salary retention).

Here's the thing though. It has been stated, with as much surety as is humanly possible, by everyone from the stickboy to the Prez that the twins aren't going anywhere. Linden said as much in his latest interview. But what I want to know is, how is Trevor so certain? He stated that they will be Canucks for as long as they want to be Canucks. So it obviously begs the question...how is he so positive about that statement? It means the conversation has been had...it's the only way. The seed has been planted, the dirty questions have been asked. So what happens one day when the Sedins take a look around the room and, as much as they love the organization that drafted them, say "we're now #2 guys here. Why not go be #2 guys where we can win a cup?"

Squirrel...I forgot to finish my thought. So once they do decide to move on, would a decent prospect and a high 2nd pick really be that out of question for a pair of 2nd line guys who are essentially going to a new club as rentals, as strictly a means to help that club win now, and who are officially in decline (off about 10% from an already horrible year last year)? If Montreal wants to throw us a prospect and their first (essentially a high 2nd) I'd say we bite on it. It might be hard to swallow, but it might be time to at least sample the menu and see what possibilities might be out there.

Despite the fact that Montreal isn't giving up much here I don't think they do it. Even with max retention tom Vancouver. Galchenyuk may not be out long. But the real issue is what happens in the off season. If Montreal trades for the Sedins they're stuck with at least a $7m cap hit to deal with due next season. That's a big deal when you consider both Galchenyuk and Radulov will be looking for big raises. The other issue is the expansion draft. Montreal would be forced to protect the twins and wound potentially lose a much more valuable player than they would have otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Despite the fact that Montreal isn't giving up much here I don't think they do it. Even with max retention tom Vancouver. Galchenyuk may not be out long. But the real issue is what happens in the off season. If Montreal trades for the Sedins they're stuck with at least a $7m cap hit to deal with due next season. That's a big deal when you consider both Galchenyuk and Radulov will be looking for big raises. The other issue is the expansion draft. Montreal would be forced to protect the twins and wound potentially lose a much more valuable player than they would have otherwise. 

Lol don't fool yourself. Montreal takes this deal and laughs every single time no matter the situation. You don't trade players of the Sedins calibre for that crap of a return. 

Just now, Pears said:

Lol don't fool yourself. Montreal takes this deal and laughs every single time no matter the situation. You don't trade players of the Sedins calibre for that crap of a return. 

If they risk not having the cap to sign Radulov and Galchenyuk then they don't even consider it. We're not talking about all star Sedins if the past anymore. 

If the Sedins wanted to go I would trade them to Mtl for Danault, Juulsen and a 1st.  would then set about trading Tanev for Nylander and Edler + Hansen for Drouin .   

Then trade Burrows to a contender for a 2nd.  Miller to a contender for a 2nd.  Subban for a 3rd.

Drouin Horvat Eriksson

Baertschi Nylander Sutter

Granlund Danault Rodin

Gaunce chaput labate 

Boeser and Virtanen on the way

Hutton Gudbranson 

Tryamkin Stecher

Sbisa Larsen

Biega

Juolevi and Juulsen on the way

Sbisa lost in expansion.   

We go into the draft with 2 1sts, 3 2nds, cap space and some great young players to build around.

Now commence destroying me.  I just wanted to have some fun.

6 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

If the Sedins wanted to go I would trade them to Mtl for Danault, Juulsen and a 1st.  would then set about trading Tanev for Nylander and Edler + Hansen for Drouin .   

Then trade Burrows to a contender for a 2nd.  Miller to a contender for a 2nd.  Subban for a 3rd.

Drouin Horvat Eriksson

Granlund Danault Rodin

Gaunce chaput labate 

Hutton Gudbranson 

Tryamkin Stecher

Sbisa Larsen

Biega

Sbisa lost in expansion.   

We go into the draft with 2 1sts, 3 2nds, cap space and some great young players to build around.

Why would anyone destroy your ideas?  A lot of Canucks fans are starting to accept (if they didn't already) that we need to dump the old guys, and go strictly with youth.  We need to rebuild properly, instead of this two path method currently being followed.  

How in the heck did JB sell this follow two paths to our owner?  

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Drouin Horvat Eriksson

Granlund Danault Rodin

Gaunce chaput labate 

Hutton Gudbranson 

Tryamkin Stecher

Sbisa Larsen

Biega

Sbisa lost in expansion.   

Yea and become the smallest team in the league. Sounds good to me. 

16 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Someone said this in another post.  But if the Sedin's waive their no trade clause to go to Montreal, they would not have to be protected in the expansion draft. 

Archived