The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion - Should the Canucks explore trading the Sedins to Montreal

Bur14Kes17

I know I'll probably get a few minuses for this but I'm just recognizing the opportunity and putting it out there for discussion. 

With both Alex Galchenyuk and David Desharnai out for 6-8 weeks, if there was ever a time for Linden, Benning, and the Canucks to commit to a rebuild, the time would be right now. Sending the Sedins to Montreal would also give them a real chance to win a cup now. Question is, should they pursue this and what would we want in return?

I would offer the needed salary retention, and ask for this years 1st and 2nd round pick and Nikita Scherback. As well as David Desharnais to fill our center gap with Hank gone and to free up more salary for the Habs.

1 minute ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

With both Alex Galchenyuk and David Desharnai out for 6-8 weeks, if there was ever a time for Linden, Benning, and the Canucks to commit to a rebuild, the time would be right now. Question is, should they pursue this and what would we want in return?

Juuhlson and their first?  And who is that Russian kid the Habs drafted a couple years back - Sherback?  We want all three, or the Habs can got the heck.  

Linden said that there will be no trades and Benning has said he will not ask players to waive NTC. They had talked about moving a D man a few weeks ago but with both Tanev and Edler out that won't happen. Now Larsen.

It sounds like Tanev is a ways off.

14 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

With both Alex Galchenyuk and David Desharnai out for 6-8 weeks, if there was ever a time for Linden, Benning, and the Canucks to commit to a rebuild, the time would be right now. Sending the Sedins to Montreal would also give them a real chance to win a cup now. Question is, should they pursue this and what would we want in return?

Yes, of course Canucks should look into this.  We would want  a first,  a second  and a  good  prospect. 

Or   2017 and 2018 first round picks 

Canucks can even eat some contract to make it happen. 

If we only had a  GM committed to winning a cup instead of a  GM hoping some day to make the playoffs....

Make it happen JB.  

6 minutes ago, smokes said:

How many times does management need to tell people that they are not trading the Sedins before people get it? It's like they don't understand the English language.

I've never advocated or wanted the Sedins traded. I'm just recognizing the opportunity for what it is and that's the chance to bend the Canadians over and retool the franchise is a single move. The Habs are built to win now. Last season was lost because of the Price injury, are they now willing to lose a second season because their two top Centres are injured? 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, of course Canucks should look into this.  We would want  a first,  a second  and a  good  prospect. 

Make it happen JB.  

Get in contact with your contact King, and give JB the "what for".

1 minute ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

I've never advocated or wanted the Sedins traded. I'm just recognizing the opportunity for what it is and that's the chance to bend the Canadians over and retool the franchise is a single move. The Habs are built to win now. Last season was lost because of the Price injury, are they now willing to lose a second season because their two top Centres are injured? 

They have injuries at the moment but it doesn't mean than they are going to pick up 14 million dollars for the next couple of years because of it.

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If we only had a  GM committed to winning a cup instead of a  GM hoping some day to make the playoffs....

Make it happen JB.  

A 1st, two 2nds and two B-A level prospects for both of them is what it would have to start at. But they aren't going anywhere so we don't need to worry about that. 

Just now, Pears said:

A 1st, two 2nds and two good prospects for both of them is what it would have to start at. But they aren't going anywhere so we don't need to worry about that. 

I hear Montreal gets snow galore, has the world's largest IKEA, and plays ABBA in all indoor government buildings and shopping malls.  The Twins should feel at home, no?  

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

A 1st, two 2nds and two good prospects for both of them is what it would have to start at. But they aren't going anywhere so we don't need to worry about that. 

By hanging on to Hank and Danny we are about to lose them both as UFA's with nothing coming back our way.....

This would be a HUGE mistake.

If Hank or Danny are willing to move for a  CUP..   This year is the time .  Mid season or TDL is ideal. 

Canucks should offer to retain partial salary.  Get picks and prospects.

JB  - do your job please. 

29 minutes ago, smokes said:

How many times does management need to tell people that they are not trading the Sedins before people get it? It's like they don't understand the English language.

I mean, I agree they likely will never trade them but just because management says something doesnt mean its truthful 

20 minutes ago, smokes said:

They have injuries at the moment but it doesn't mean than they are going to pick up 14 million dollars for the next couple of years because of it.

If that 14 million dollars means your season doesn't go to waste and wins you a Stanley cup or two it seems worth exploring. Did you miss the part that they've lost their top 2 centers? 

29 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Make it happen JB.  

ok please tell me King, what contacts we would need to take back in order for this to work?

47 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Make it happen JB.  

I agree with what your saying.

Our team is struggling and any decent GM should be looking to improve their team. Long term...

Linden says they want to win for the Sedins... well why not send them to a team like Montreal that should win this year.

Norris candidate in Weber 

Vezina candidate in price

Give them some scoring.

We retain 50% salary...

They give us either nikita scherback and a 2018 first and 2nd or 2017 first and 2018 first with 2018 2nd. 

12 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I doubt Montreal thinks that short-term. They would have to expose two additional players if they acquire the Sedins for non-roster players. Makes no sense for Montreal.

You realize that only 1 player from each team can be picked right? I'm sure they have players in their bottom 6, or bottom pairing D they can choose to expose. Sedins are under contract for next year as well, so the Canadiens would have some roster security there. Besides, it's not like Bergevin is risk averse when it comes to trading young players for older players... he traded P.K. Subban straight up for Shea Weber!

1 hour ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

I know I'll probably get a few minuses for this but I'm just recognizing the opportunity and putting it out there for discussion. 

I would offer the needed salary retention, and ask for this years 1st and 2nd round pick and Nikita Scherback. As well as David Desharnais to fill our center gap with Hank gone and to free up more salary for the Habs.

That's great and all this season...but how exactly does Montreal cram an extra $14m of cap in NEXT season now that they own the twins in this theory?

Archived